Albertsons/Safeway 2018 & 2019: Openings and Closings

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
pseudo3d

Re: Albertsons/Safeway 2018: Openings and Closings

Post by pseudo3d »

architect wrote: January 6th, 2018, 6:32 pm Add Market Street's Manfield store to the list too; it is supposed to be opening in March according to a Facebook post from an employee at the Colleyville store. The Mansfield location is also listed on their careers site; however, they are not hiring yet.
Interesting choice given the Tom Thumb in Mansfield located not too far away (and also Mansfield's Market Street appears to be even geographically further south than any other Albertsons store except Cleburne, with Tom Thumb also being the furthest south Tom Thumb). Chances are this may have been planned before the merger, and the Tom Thumb (a Safeway build, from 2001 or 2002) doesn't seem to be doing very high volume. (Plus, there's still a ton of Albertsons stores in south Fort Worth suburbs, with three right near 287 and I-20, and another two within three miles of each other near Cedar Hill). Even though the Tom Thumb is less than two miles away, I don't see it closing, at least not yet.
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

pseudo3d wrote: January 7th, 2018, 2:45 am
architect wrote: January 6th, 2018, 6:32 pm Add Market Street's Manfield store to the list too; it is supposed to be opening in March according to a Facebook post from an employee at the Colleyville store. The Mansfield location is also listed on their careers site; however, they are not hiring yet.
Interesting choice given the Tom Thumb in Mansfield located not too far away (and also Mansfield's Market Street appears to be even geographically further south than any other Albertsons store except Cleburne, with Tom Thumb also being the furthest south Tom Thumb). Chances are this may have been planned before the merger, and the Tom Thumb (a Safeway build, from 2001 or 2002) doesn't seem to be doing very high volume. (Plus, there's still a ton of Albertsons stores in south Fort Worth suburbs, with three right near 287 and I-20, and another two within three miles of each other near Cedar Hill). Even though the Tom Thumb is less than two miles away, I don't see it closing, at least not yet.
Honestly, I don't think that the Tom Thumb location is in danger of closing, at least in the near future. It seems to be well-trafficked the two times I have visited, and also just recently received a Colorful Lifestyle renovation. In addition, even though it is geographically close to the new Market Street, it caters to a somewhat different set of neighborhoods.

The nail in the coffin for this Tom Thumb is not likely to be Market Street, but could be HEB if and when they decide to build. If HEB comes, they will be on the 287 corridor, and could be a draw not only for Mansfield but also the southern parts of Arlington and Grand Prairie, along with Midlothian, as HEB shoppers have shown a willingness to travel as evidenced at the Burleson and Waxahachie locations. Expect to see Albertsons upgrading their other area stores in a similar manner to the Burleson Tom Thumb and the 287/Sublett Albertsons as a defensive measure.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

A Star Market closure was announced in Cambridge (closing Feb. 3), and it was a supermarket located in the second floor of a hotel complex. It has been open since 1998 (almost certainly a twenty year lease) but doesn't look like it has been remodeled during that time at all, with green and blue aisle markers that were definitely not from SuperValu or Albertsons.

http://www.cambridgeday.com/2018/01/09/ ... r-central/
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

Market Street update: The new Frisco store will be opening on January 26th, per an employee at the other Frisco location.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

The new store list with Vons (SoCal) and Star Market closing has been added. The Randalls has been added. I'll probably (if someone doesn't get to it first, which is alright with me) make a separate post on it. From pictures though it looks like Lifestyle, at least that color palette.
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

pseudo3d wrote: January 12th, 2018, 9:36 am The Randalls has been added. I'll probably (if someone doesn't get to it first, which is alright with me) make a separate post on it. From pictures though it looks like Lifestyle, at least that color palette.
If you are referring to the photos posted on the store's Google business listing, those are actually photos of the Randalls at 4800 Bellfort in Houston which some clown decided to post for the wrong store. In one of the photos, you can see first gen Lifestyle decor. I have already marked them for deletion, so hopefully Google picks it up soon.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

Ah, here's the real thing.

https://hellogeorgetown.com/randalls-is ... own-texas/

Notes:
- Brown décor out in full force!
- They seemed to have taken note from H-E-B and used a concrete floor and warehouse ceilings. I feel like it's been executed properly, though.
- Meat department actually branded as "Butcher Block"
- Deli is still non-Boar's Head though
- It's just out of view but it still looks like they used the "local road names" signage in center store
- I do like the "Produce" sign
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

pseudo3d wrote: January 12th, 2018, 7:09 pm Ah, here's the real thing.

https://hellogeorgetown.com/randalls-is ... own-texas/

Notes:
- Brown décor out in full force!
- They seemed to have taken note from H-E-B and used a concrete floor and warehouse ceilings. I feel like it's been executed properly, though.
- Meat department actually branded as "Butcher Block"
- Deli is still non-Boar's Head though
- It's just out of view but it still looks like they used the "local road names" signage in center store
- I do like the "Produce" sign
As a whole, Albertsons seems to be using concrete floors and warehouse ceilings in all of their new-build stores which have been completed since the Safeway integration. Overall, they seem to work well, particularly with this decor package. Also, of note, it appears that there is a full blown convenience store in the parking lot, not just stand-alone fuel pumps. I will definitely have to stop by next time I'm in the area.

Fun fact, the official name for the brown/Florida decor is "Modern" decor, according to shipping boxes I saw at the McKinney Albertsons to Tom Thumb conversion store.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

architect wrote: January 12th, 2018, 7:58 pm Fun fact, the official name for the brown/Florida decor is "Modern" decor, according to shipping boxes I saw at the McKinney Albertsons to Tom Thumb conversion store.
I can see why - it has a very Mid-Century Modern vibe.

You know what I'd like to see? Big newly-built Marina-style Safeway and big newly-built white ceramic front Jewel with the "Modern" decor.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

rwsandiego wrote: January 12th, 2018, 9:07 pm

You know what I'd like to see? Big newly-built Marina-style Safeway and big newly-built white ceramic front Jewel with the "Modern" decor.
The Ashland Safeway sort of has what you're talking about (a renovated Marina store with that set).