Amazon Go

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
lola42
Produce Clerk
Produce Clerk

Amazon Go

Post by lola42 »

Amazon Go finally leaves beta and opens to the public.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/21/tech ... uture.html
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Amazon Go

Post by arizonaguy »

lola42 wrote: January 24th, 2018, 8:05 pm Amazon Go finally leaves beta and opens to the public.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/21/tech ... uture.html
It's an interesting concept. I'm curious if Amazon (or other retailers) will expand the concept further.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

So the guy in the article tried to "shoplift" but what does it do for any old hobo that wants to steal food without actual money or a credit-linked phone?
lola42
Produce Clerk
Produce Clerk

Post by lola42 »

Shrink 2.0
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

pseudo3d wrote: January 25th, 2018, 7:19 pm So the guy in the article tried to "shoplift" but what does it do for any old hobo that wants to steal food without actual money or a credit-linked phone?
Based on one article I read, you need the app on a phone in order to get through the entry/exit gates.

If they want to get fancy, they will donate low-cost phones w/a donation app and the Go app to homeless people. Then, they could install showers and restrooms that cost, say fifty cents that the homeless people could access using the phone. Once they are all cleaned up, they can come into the store and buy stuff using the go app, funded by the donations!
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

This morning on my bus ride to work I saw that a second Amazon Go store is being opened sometime in the Fall in Downtown Seattle (at the corner of 5th and Marion.) The store seems to be fully operational now, but is presumably in "Beta" (open only to Amazon employees) the same way the first one was for several months before it opened.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

And here come the floodgates:

https://komonews.com/news/business/plan ... us-by-2021

Sources claim that Amazon is looking at opening as many as 3,000 Amazon Go stores across the country within the next three years. Somehow I can't see this ending well...
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

Brian Lutz wrote: September 20th, 2018, 7:52 am And here come the floodgates:

Sources claim that Amazon is looking at opening as many as 3,000 Amazon Go stores across the country within the next three years. Somehow I can't see this ending well...
It depends. I could see Amazon acquiring a convenience store chain for these 3000 stores.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

arizonaguy wrote: September 20th, 2018, 1:27 pm
Brian Lutz wrote: September 20th, 2018, 7:52 am And here come the floodgates:

It depends. I could see Amazon acquiring a convenience store chain for these 3000 stores.
I don't see them doing that. Most convenience stores are known for terrible service, dirty stores and have a lousy reputation for bad coffee and unhealthy snacks. Starting from scratch would be a better idea.
submariner
Founder of RetailWatchers.com
Founder of RetailWatchers.com

Post by submariner »

I'm going to move this to the non-region section since these are technically not online stores (and now has 3 locations in Seattle and one in Chicago).

I'm in the Seattle area the next 7 days and I'm interested to see the concept in person.