Albertsons/Safeway 2018 & 2019: Openings and Closings

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Albertsons/Safeway 2018: Openings and Closings

Post by architect »

rwsandiego wrote: January 20th, 2018, 3:12 pm We can add Tatum and Shea in Phoenix to the list of closures. Was there today and everything is 25% off with a projected closing date between 2/10 and 2/24. Center store and wine/liquor were pretty well-stocked. Bakery had some pre-packaged brownies and cookies as well as fresh donuts. Produce and meat/fish were empty as was most of dairy.

Sad to see such a nice store bite the dust.
This closure is somewhat surprising, as it appears to be the only Albertsons-owned store in the immediate vicinity. Is the Fry's at this intersection just noticeably outperforming the Albertsons?
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

rwsandiego wrote: January 20th, 2018, 3:12 pm We can add Tatum and Shea in Phoenix to the list of closures. Was there today and everything is 25% off with a projected closing date between 2/10 and 2/24. Center store and wine/liquor were pretty well-stocked. Bakery had some pre-packaged brownies and cookies as well as fresh donuts. Produce and meat/fish were empty as was most of dairy.

Shocked that this store is closing. It always seemed to do decent volume. The closest Albertsons / Safeway locations are Safeways at Tatum / Greenway and Scottsdale / Shea.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

architect wrote: January 20th, 2018, 6:38 pm

This closure is somewhat surprising, as it appears to be the only Albertsons-owned store in the immediate vicinity. Is the Fry's at this intersection just noticeably outperforming the Albertsons?
The Fry's is a "Signature Marketplace" and every time I go in there (day or night) it is busy. The Albertsons, well, not so much. Also, the Tatum and Greenway Safeway is only three miles north. In that part of Phoenix three miles isn't THAT far. It also doesn't help that getting in and out of the shopping center is tough and there's a Whole Foods and Trader Joe's across Tatum.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I am not surprised at all they are closing this store. That Fry's is their "Signature Marketplace" and is the nicest store in the Fry's Division by far (in my opinion it is the nicest store Kroger has on the entire west coast...). Plus it has so many features that they seem to keep adding, I can see how it just captured more and more customers away from the just garden variety Albertsons across the street.

Add in Whole Foods (a small lousy one) and Trader Joe's at that intersection and you have a very competitive situation.

I am actually surprised Albertsons kept that store open as long as they did, but it did always appear to have a medium level of traffic. And like most of the Arizona Albertsons, it was always staffed well and generally well presented. I always assumed it was a pretty busy intersection and there were enough people who did not want the crowded Disneyland experience of Fry's Signature Marketplace and wanted a quick in-out or a more simple and traditional store to gravitate over to the Albertsons.

It will be interesting to see what fills the Albertsons space... if it is another grocer, it could get interesting...
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

The quiet closure suggests the lease was up and it might have been too expensive (the strip center looked like it had better-than-average stores) to keep up at the volume it was doing. My first guess was that there was a Safeway nearby, but there wasn't.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

pseudo3d wrote: January 21st, 2018, 12:35 am The quiet closure suggests the lease was up and it might have been too expensive (the strip center looked like it had better-than-average stores) to keep up at the volume it was doing. My first guess was that there was a Safeway nearby, but there wasn't.
This may have also come down to a remodel fully or close situation. The store was given a low budget LLC remodel at some point (probably around when Fry's Signature Marketplace was happening), but it retained a lot of the original mid 90's flooring, refrigeration, etc. At this point, it would be due for a more full remodel.

Recent reviews on Yelp are negative for this store. It appears perception of quality has declined from before. I think tying up with Safeway must be hurting their product quality.
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

Add Springfield, OR to the list, a Safeway turned Haggen turned Safeway just down the street from an Albertsons.

http://registerguard.com/rg/news/local/ ... e.html.csp
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

storewanderer wrote: January 21st, 2018, 10:19 pm
pseudo3d wrote: January 21st, 2018, 12:35 am The quiet closure suggests the lease was up and it might have been too expensive (the strip center looked like it had better-than-average stores) to keep up at the volume it was doing. My first guess was that there was a Safeway nearby, but there wasn't.
This may have also come down to a remodel fully or close situation. The store was given a low budget LLC remodel at some point (probably around when Fry's Signature Marketplace was happening), but it retained a lot of the original mid 90's flooring, refrigeration, etc. At this point, it would be due for a more full remodel.

Recent reviews on Yelp are negative for this store. It appears perception of quality has declined from before. I think tying up with Safeway must be hurting their product quality.

I hate the LLP decor. If I never have to see that damned leaf logo again it will be too soon.

That said, the store was in OK condition but even before the closure something was just "off." It is across the street from Paradise Valley, which isn't exactly a slum, but the store didn't seem befitting of the neighborhood.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

architect wrote: January 22nd, 2018, 9:48 am Add Springfield, OR to the list, a Safeway turned Haggen turned Safeway just down the street from an Albertsons.

http://registerguard.com/rg/news/local/ ... e.html.csp
Wasn't this the store where their spokesperson thought it was reopening as an Albertsons?

Another failed Haggen re-opening... this one just got standard Lifestyle decor.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

The list has been updated with the closures and openings here. The Market Street opening didn't seem to gain significant press anywhere but the Facebook page, I guess it wasn't a "big" supermarket opening. Due to the fact that it was gutted by Walmart, it looks nothing like an Albertsons anymore. It also has a beer and wine bar on the premises. I wonder if it has the Whataburger condiments (previously an H-E-B exclusive), which were announced at around the same time at "select locations", whether this means "just the nicer locations" or "the markets that didn't have H-E-B in them".