The end of Carl’s Jr./Hardee’s ads?

jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

The end of Carl’s Jr./Hardee’s ads?

Post by jamcool »

I noticed that Carl’s Jr. and Hardee’s are running separate ads selling their newest “Thickburger”, Carl’s using their star and “The Call of Carl’s Jr.”, while Hardee’s has gone back to their pre-CKE logo and a smaller star. Is this the end of the Carl’s Jr./Hardee’s co-brand ads?
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: The end of Carl’s Jr./Hardee’s ads?

Post by rwsandiego »

Perhaps, but Hardee's website uses the current Hardee's logo (i.e. looks like Carl's) except for the Memphis burger.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I have no idea why they would bring back that old Hardees logo. What value does it have? Those were really dark days by the end of the time that logo was being used...

I never cared much for the script/star Hardees logo, but it has been their logo for so long now, I think it has stuck...
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

They are doing separate advertising for each chain , because they found out that Carl’s and Hardee’s have different clientele...Carl’s is more dinner/late night oriented, Hardee’s is more breakfast and lunch oriented.
Yet Carl’s Jr. is entering the northeast - opening a flagship restaurant in NYC that serves beer and wine.
submariner
Founder of RetailWatchers.com

Post by submariner »

It's not just Hardee's. The Carl's Jr logo has undergone a slight redesign as well, the second time after they infamously took Happy Star's face away. The script remains the same, but the star has regained it's eyebrows, and now has a red drop-highlight (you can compare it to the site banner in the screenshots below). It's in their version of the Memphis Thickburger online ad, as well as broadcast ads from last night.

Edit, the script *is* ever so slightly different, notably the "r" and "s".

Carl's Jr and Hardees logo changes May 2018 by Aaron Slater, on Flickr
submariner

Post by submariner »

Another update, I (accidentally?) got a Hardee's ad on FX last night for the Memphis BBQ Thickburger. The ads are completely different in theme, and the old Hardee's logo appears, with a new tagline as well, "Tastes Like America" with the "a" in "Tastes" getting replaced with the Happy Star (same version as the "new" Carl's logo).

IMG_1516 by Aaron Slater, on Flickr
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

jamcool wrote: May 7th, 2018, 4:42 pm They are doing separate advertising for each chain , because they found out that Carl’s and Hardee’s have different clientele...Carl’s is more dinner/late night oriented, Hardee’s is more breakfast and lunch oriented.
Please tell me Carl's Jr is keeping the fresh biscuits program, though!

This reminds me a little of when Marshalls management was in charge at TJX CO's. They only expanded their "preferred" store brand
kr.abs.swy
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by kr.abs.swy »

Were there some Hardee's people who were elevated after Puzder left? When I look at the C-suite bios, I see quite a few people who are new to the company within the past year or two, not CKE or Hardee's lifers.
SamSpade wrote: May 24th, 2018, 6:54 am
jamcool wrote: May 7th, 2018, 4:42 pm They are doing separate advertising for each chain , because they found out that Carl’s and Hardee’s have different clientele...Carl’s is more dinner/late night oriented, Hardee’s is more breakfast and lunch oriented.
Please tell me Carl's Jr is keeping the fresh biscuits program, though!

This reminds me a little of when Marshalls management was in charge at TJX CO's. They only expanded their "preferred" store brand
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

I have a feeling CKE might be looking to spin off Hardee's in the future...changing the logo from Carl's and not running dual ads just smells like it to me. A couple Carl's locations in NY (formerly branded as Hardee's)also recently shut down, but I'm not sure if there is any connection with that.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

mbz321 wrote: May 24th, 2018, 8:51 pm I have a feeling CKE might be looking to spin off Hardee's in the future...changing the logo from Carl's and not running dual ads just smells like it to me. A couple Carl's locations in NY (formerly branded as Hardee's)also recently shut down, but I'm not sure if there is any connection with that.
I think this is just something to boost sales at Hardee's. I don't think CKE will be letting loose any time soon, especially considering the expansion they are undertaking with Hardee's right now. My area had one location until 2-3 years ago. Now we have 5.