Integration of Albertsons and Safeway

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
J-Man
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Re: Integration of Albertsons and Safeway

Post by J-Man »

I live in an area where I receive both Vons and Albertsons ads in the mail. I noticed this week that they have become virtually identical (at least on the first page) with two exceptions: Vons still has "Club Price" under all of the sale prices, and they have different liquor beer items at the bottom of the page: Albertsons has a coupon for several brands of beer at $15.88, while Vons has a 30% off special (no coupon) on wines. The Score 4 (Vons) and Fab 5 (Albertsons) items are identical as well.
Super S

Post by Super S »

architect wrote: April 19th, 2018, 7:00 pm I had an interesting truck spotting in the DFW area today. The DFW warehouse has developed a new artwork set for their trucks and trailers, which mostly serves as an ad for O Organics on the sides. However, at the bottom of the side artwork, the logos for Albertsons, Tom Thumb and Randalls are all shown (with the Randalls logo being in the far bottom right corner). Now here's the interesting part: on the back, the same design scheme is carried through, but with only the Albertsons and Tom Thumb logos shown (along with the web addresses in large print), but nothing for Randalls. In addition, on the side artwork, the area surrounding the Randalls logo is in a flat one-color area (unlike the other two logos), leading me to be believe that the artwork was designed so that the Randalls logo on the sides could simply be covered over if the banner was discontinued at some point. I was unable to get a photo as I was driving at the time, but I will keep an eye out for one of these trucks again. Side note, this was my first time seeing all three banners represented on one trailer.
Something I have recently noticed are Albertsons trucks (with only the Albertsons logo on the doors) with a "spoiler" (I don't know if that's the right term but it directs air over the cab inline with the trailer) that has a lighted Safeway logo on it. I am not sure if this is a Safeway truck where the doors were repainted, or an Albertsons truck with this addition.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

J-Man wrote: May 17th, 2018, 8:24 am I live in an area where I receive both Vons and Albertsons ads in the mail. I noticed this week that they have become virtually identical (at least on the first page) with two exceptions: Vons still has "Club Price" under all of the sale prices, and they have different liquor beer items at the bottom of the page: Albertsons has a coupon for several brands of beer at $15.88, while Vons has a 30% off special (no coupon) on wines. The Score 4 (Vons) and Fab 5 (Albertsons) items are identical as well.
As Albertsons Co's replaced Fred Meyer as the official grocer of the Portland Timbers, they released a combined ad on the home opening week of MLS Soccer.

This last week for Mother's Day specials, both stores also sent a combined ad with that same disclosure we've seen elsewhere ("card not required at Albertsons"). The ad did include a coupon doubl'r, which have not previously been marketed as being accepted at Albertsons stores. Both stores do run a combined $10 off $50 advertisement in Redplum mailers in Just4U or paper coupon form (generally the first week of a month) in this market.

As for the post about trucks, most semis here are the Albertsons logo cab and some form of Safeway truck. I am not sure if the cabs at Albertsons warehouse were cleaner for the air / newer and that is why this happened or something else.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

SamSpade wrote: May 17th, 2018, 12:35 pm
J-Man wrote: May 17th, 2018, 8:24 am I live in an area where I receive both Vons and Albertsons ads in the mail. I noticed this week that they have become virtually identical (at least on the first page) with two exceptions: Vons still has "Club Price" under all of the sale prices, and they have different liquor beer items at the bottom of the page: Albertsons has a coupon for several brands of beer at $15.88, while Vons has a 30% off special (no coupon) on wines. The Score 4 (Vons) and Fab 5 (Albertsons) items are identical as well.
As Albertsons Co's replaced Fred Meyer as the official grocer of the Portland Timbers, they released a combined ad on the home opening week of MLS Soccer.

This last week for Mother's Day specials, both stores also sent a combined ad with that same disclosure we've seen elsewhere ("card not required at Albertsons"). The ad did include a coupon doubl'r, which have not previously been marketed as being accepted at Albertsons stores. Both stores do run a combined $10 off $50 advertisement in Redplum mailers in Just4U or paper coupon form (generally the first week of a month) in this market.

As for the post about trucks, most semis here are the Albertsons logo cab and some form of Safeway truck. I am not sure if the cabs at Albertsons warehouse were cleaner for the air / newer and that is why this happened or something else.
I've noticed in Arizona there seem to be the following combinations of trucks. Albertsons cab with Albertsons trailer, Albertsons cab with Safeway trailer, Safeway cab with Safeway trailer, Safeway cab with VONS trailer, and Albertsons cab with VONS trailer.

On the Safeway cabs there is the Safeway logo, the word Safeway, and then where it used to say "Tempe, AZ" it now says either "operated by Albertsons LLC" or "a division of Albertsons LLC."
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

Integration of Albertsons and Rite Aid. One loyalty program across all stores coming, for one.
https://boisedev.com/news/2018/5/17/alb ... -aid-boise
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

And AlbertSafeway has a new upscale brand...Signature Reserve... first showing up as a line of premium ice creams
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I guess since the old group of private label executives decided to put Signature Select on everything, the recent batch of new private label executives decided they needed to have a premium label so they did this...

Sounds like a copycat of Kroger's Hemisfares line. Ever heard of it? Maybe not, since it is barely stocked, barely promoted... products are too upscale and too high priced for a mainstream grocery store. Excellent dry pasta though. The $16/pint oilve oil (marked down to 3.50 about to expire) was also excellent.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

storewanderer wrote: May 31st, 2018, 7:30 pm I guess since the old group of private label executives decided to put Signature Select on everything, the recent batch of new private label executives decided they needed to have a premium label so they did this...

Sounds like a copycat of Kroger's Hemisfares line. Ever heard of it? Maybe not, since it is barely stocked, barely promoted... products are too upscale and too high priced for a mainstream grocery store. Excellent dry pasta though. The $16/pint oilve oil (marked down to 3.50 about to expire) was also excellent.
Hemisfare barely promoted?
I've received many digital coupons promoting it. Keep in mind that Kroger is doing a lot of targeted digital marketing. I guess I must be in the target market for it.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

babs wrote: May 31st, 2018, 10:23 pm
storewanderer wrote: May 31st, 2018, 7:30 pm I guess since the old group of private label executives decided to put Signature Select on everything, the recent batch of new private label executives decided they needed to have a premium label so they did this...

Hemisfare barely promoted?
I've received many digital coupons promoting it. Keep in mind that Kroger is doing a lot of targeted digital marketing. I guess I must be in the target market for it.
Neither Ralphs (when I lived in SoCal) nor Fry's ever sent me a digital coupon for Hemisfares line. In fact, I've never seen more than one or two items. in the store.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

You saw just about all of Hemisfares. There is gelato, pasta, pasta sauce, some balsamic vinegar, olive oil, soy sauce, coffee in netted bags, and not much else. All items are extremely high priced.

But this seems to be a carbon copy of what is being planned for "Signature Reserve."

There are 8 digital coupons available right now for Hemisfares products. Also the Gelato is currently on sale $3 each. There is also a catalina coupon machine offer when you buy 2 Hemisfares products you get a $2 off your next shopping order coupon from the coupon machine at checkout. So there is a little bit of promotion right now.