Utah Grocers Pull Craft Sodas After Customer Social Media Post

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Utah Grocers Pull Craft Sodas After Customer Social Media Post

Post by SamSpade »

Associated Foods' Macey's brand was selling Not See Kola (a cola that doesn't contain caramel coloring), Orthodox Jooce, and Leninade as part of their craft soda department. A local shopper found the first name offensive and made a complaint online. The company pulled all 3 items.

Personally, I've seen Leninade around for quite some time and don't really see how it is offensive; just a clever play on words. Orthodox Jooce sounds a bit silly and probably not worth buying.

I do agree with the company's decision on Not See Kola after seeing the packaging and when you hear the name out loud.
https://www.ksl.com/article/46341522/so ... erreaction
storewanderer

Re: Utah Grocers Pull Craft Sodas After Customer Social Media Post

Post by storewanderer »

I can see how this would offend certain people. But people need to grow a backbone and not take everything so personally. Nobody was forcing them to buy this stuff. I am sure it would have been discontinued due to slow sales over time unless the flavor of the drink was absolutely amazing...
Mycrossover

Post by Mycrossover »

SamSpade wrote:Associated Foods' Macey's brand was selling Not See Kola (a cola that doesn't contain caramel coloring), Orthodox Jooce, and Leninade as part of their craft soda department. A local shopper found the first name offensive and made a complaint online. The company pulled all 3 items.

Personally, I've seen Leninade around for quite some time and don't really see how it is offensive; just a clever play on words. Orthodox Jooce sounds a bit silly and probably not worth buying.

I do agree with the company's decision on Not See Kola after seeing the packaging and when you hear the name out loud.
https://www.ksl.com/article/46341522/so ... erreaction
The combination of Not See Cola associated with Orthodox Jooce makes a connection to one of the darkest events in modern history. It is beyond offensive. It is far worse than an ethnic slur. Did they think nobody would make the connection? Genocide is the ultimate outcome of suggesting that some people are inferior to others. If it was your relatives that were gassed or machine gunned you would not be talking about being over sensitive. It is easy to laugh when it is somebody else. As the old saying goes, I didn't care when they came for this group or that group but there was nobody left to care when they came for me. This is just a general comment on the subject and only addressed to those that think it is no big deal.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

submariner
Founder of RetailWatchers.com
Founder of RetailWatchers.com

Post by submariner »

I'm allowing the last post, with a warning. This board is not here to provide a mouthpiece for political commentary of any scope. Let's keep this on-topic and in a civil tone. Only warning.