Integration of Albertsons and Safeway

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Integration of Albertsons and Safeway

Post by rwsandiego »

BillyGr wrote: June 21st, 2018, 1:59 pm Don't think this was posted yet - in my email I have a message (from Shaw's) saying that starting tomorrow (6/22) MyMixx will be Just for U.

So an integration of their two programs, it appears.

Not sure if it's all the stores or if they are doing them separately...
Jewel-Osco and ACME still have MyMixx, so it looks like they are doing each banner separately.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Jewel Osco and Acme are not yet on the Safeway system. Shaws has been in progress for a few months now and is likely done or near done. The conversion from My Mixx (Supervalu program) to Just for You commences once they get the Safeway system up and running.
J-Man
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by J-Man »

For the past two weeks, I've gotten a combined Albertsons/Vons ad, with the notation "Club Card not needed in Albertsons stores." So I guess they've finally combined forces and will have identical promotions from now on. "Score 4" has been eliminated and they're both using "Fab 5."

I note that there must still be a separate Pavilions ad (even though in the past they've shared an ad with Vons), but since the two Pavilions in my area were converted to Vons, I don't get one anymore.
submariner
Founder of RetailWatchers.com

Post by submariner »

J-Man wrote:For the past two weeks, I've gotten a combined Albertsons/Vons ad, with the notation "Club Card not needed in Albertsons stores." So I guess they've finally combined forces and will have identical promotions from now on. "Score 4" has been eliminated and they're both using "Fab 5."

I note that there must still be a separate Pavilions ad (even though in the past they've shared an ad with Vons), but since the two Pavilions in my area were converted to Vons, I don't get one anymore.
You don’t need the club card at Albertsons, but you still need your phone number for fuel points. It’s an interesting trade off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

submariner wrote: July 22nd, 2018, 8:30 am
J-Man wrote:For the past two weeks, I've gotten a combined Albertsons/Vons ad, with the notation "Club Card not needed in Albertsons stores." So I guess they've finally combined forces and will have identical promotions from now on. "Score 4" has been eliminated and they're both using "Fab 5."

You don’t need the club card at Albertsons, but you still need your phone number for fuel points. It’s an interesting trade off.

This might sound like a stupid question, but one would still need a phone number to receive "Just for You" specials at Albertsons, right? If so, this sounds a lot like a club card.

Obviousman signing out.
submariner

Post by submariner »

rwsandiego wrote:

This might sound like a stupid question, but one would still need a phone number to receive "Just for You" specials at Albertsons, right? If so, this sounds a lot like a club card.

Obviousman signing out.
I mean, with punching your phone number into the terminal, does anyone much use the physical card anymore?

storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

submariner wrote: July 22nd, 2018, 9:40 am
rwsandiego wrote:

Obviousman signing out.
I mean, with punching your phone number into the terminal, does anyone much use the physical card anymore?

I still see people using a physical club card at Safeway all the time (probably 40% of the customers). Since I get to stand around in line there longer than any other store, I tend to notice this aspect.

Another one where I see a lot of physical card use instead of phone number is CVS. Conversely, at both Walgreens and Rite Aid, it seems to be all phone number usage. No idea on Kroger since I never have to stand and wait in a line there since they have ample checkouts open and many self checkouts...
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Meanwhile on the combined ad front, Farmington, NM which was one of the first places I saw a combined ad (and where all references to the club card were removed) is now back to having two separate ads and is back to requiring the club card again at the Safeway banner. They have shifted the Farmington, NM Stores from Southwest Division to Denver Division which appears to have prompted this change.

Interesting switch.

Yet in Pueblo, CO there is now a combined Albertsons/Safeway ad... Denver Division again.

Really poorly run division that can't even have a consistent ad strategy for multi-banner markets.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

submariner wrote: July 22nd, 2018, 9:40 am
rwsandiego wrote:

Obviousman signing out.

Exactly my point. I haven't used a physical card since the early 2000's. Bashas' is the only store here in Phoenix where phone number entry is not the default. They accept a phone number, but you have to ask them to do so.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

The clerk behind the customer service desk at my local Safeway here in Phoenix said that the company is getting rid of the physical cards. She mentioned this to the person in front of me (who she gave a physical card to).

I could never get my physical card to work with my phone number so I created a new profile online with a different phone number of mine (my business line) that I use for Just 4 You. I've never had a physical card on that account.