Marianos to consolidate with Roundy's; execs to depart

Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Marianos to consolidate with Roundy's; execs to depart

Post by storewanderer »

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ ... story.html

Ouch...

Kroger................ what in the heck are you doing?
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Marianos to consolidate with Roundy's; execs to depart

Post by arizonaguy »

storewanderer wrote: September 13th, 2018, 9:08 pm http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ ... story.html

Ouch...

They'll probably spin it as part of their "restock Kroger" initiative to build the stores for the future...

In all actuality, Kroger seems to have a lack of a strategic vision or leadership. They've made nothing but questionable move after questionable move over the past year or so (other than consolidating the North Carolina stores into Harris Teeter). As the article states, the questionable moves have resulted in a relatively poor quarterly financial performance for the company.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

arizonaguy wrote: September 13th, 2018, 9:45 pm
storewanderer wrote: September 13th, 2018, 9:08 pm http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ ... story.html

Ouch...

They'll probably spin it as part of their "restock Kroger" initiative to build the stores for the future...

In all actuality, Kroger seems to have a lack of a strategic vision or leadership. They've made nothing but questionable move after questionable move over the past year or so (other than consolidating the North Carolina stores into Harris Teeter). As the article states, the questionable moves have resulted in a relatively poor quarterly financial performance for the company.
I continue to scratch my head at Kroger lately. And my wallet continues to dispense less and less money to Kroger lately.

Granted I did not think their earnings report today was bad, the market seemed to think otherwise. Frankly any little increase in comp store sales is good; there is deflation in certain food categories particularly dairy and particularly in a key number of Kroger's operating regions.

Rolling Mariano's into Pick N Save strikes me as absolute stupid move. Maybe Pick N Save is run better now than it was before Kroger bought them out. But that doesn't change the fact that Chicago is a very different market. There is a reason why the Mariano's format was used there and why they had people with long Chicago histories running things. It will be very interesting to see how this works out...

I was hoping to see Mariano's get expanded, not marginalized under another division...

I have not seen Kroger expand any of the high quality perimeter ideas from Harris Teeter or Mariano's into the rest of the chain...
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

Roundy's was not doing well prior to the acquisition and turning the reins over to them seems like an odd thing to do. Jewel must be doing a happy dance right now.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I am sure the Chicago-focused Jewel is very happy.

But this is not the first rodeo for the long term Jewel people. They have seen this before...

Maybe Kroger can consolidate Mariano's and Food 4 Less Chicago operations too. May as well get more synergy going.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

storewanderer wrote: September 14th, 2018, 10:49 pm I am sure the Chicago-focused Jewel is very happy.

But this is not the first rodeo for the long term Jewel people. They have seen this before...

Maybe Kroger can consolidate Mariano's and Food 4 Less Chicago operations too. May as well get more synergy going.
It would be much easier to drive 'em out of town that way, just like they did back in the early 1970's when Kroger sold out to Dominicks.

What's the best way to compete with a chain that has nearly 30% market share in the country's third largest metro? F-up your acquisition! Yeah, that's how!!
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Knight »

arizonaguy wrote: September 13th, 2018, 9:45 pm They'll probably spin it as part of their "restock Kroger" initiative to build the stores for the future...

Kroger needs to make decisions that can increase the number of store locations, expand into new markets or re-enter previous markets, and consolidate or reduce the number of divisions and improving its operational hierarchy (i.e. division > region > district > store).
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

Knight wrote: September 15th, 2018, 8:17 am
arizonaguy wrote: September 13th, 2018, 9:45 pm They'll probably spin it as part of their "restock Kroger" initiative to build the stores for the future...

Kroger needs to make decisions that can increase the number of store locations, expand into new markets or re-enter previous markets, and consolidate or reduce the number of divisions and improving its operational hierarchy (i.e. division > region > district > store).
Well, on paper that is what they are doing. They left Milwaukee and Chicago in the early 1970's, acquired their way back into those markets, and they are consolidating Mariano's and Pick 'n' Save under one President. Hopefully I am wrong, but this will work as well as combining Harris-Teeter and Ruler Foods under the same leadership.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

rwsandiego wrote: September 15th, 2018, 8:56 am

Well, on paper that is what they are doing. They left Milwaukee and Chicago in the early 1970's, acquired their way back into those markets, and they are consolidating Mariano's and Pick 'n' Save under one President. Hopefully I am wrong, but this will work as well as combining Harris-Teeter and Ruler Foods under the same leadership.
If they were consolidating Mariano's and Pick N Save under one president but keeping those three Mariano's people who are leaving, I think I would have a little more confidence in what they are doing... but the fact that those people are leaving in the process of this whole thing...

I wonder why they chose to put it under Pick N Save Division and not, say, Kroger Central Division. Kroger Central has some stores not too far from Chicago out in Indiana and in Bourbonnais... frankly I think Central Division is a better operation than Pick N Save is.

We shouldn't make fun of Rvler.

That reminds me I was in 3 Ruler Foods last week. No sign of Rvler in rural Indiana. Just Ruler.
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Knight »

rwsandiego wrote: September 15th, 2018, 8:56 am

I do not know what is the present store count for each division at Kroger, and which divisions at Kroger have unionized store locations. I doubt unionzied and non-unionized divisions would be consolidated. Divisions with fifty to 100 stores could be combined with other divisions, and create regional positions in the division to manage a region of districts and stores.