Wal Mart Cashier "Seating Lawsuit"

California. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Wal Mart Cashier "Seating Lawsuit"

Post by storewanderer »

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/walm ... nance.html

Stools are pretty bad for a person's back especially as they have to move around, bend, etc. I would think the motions of a cashier are better done standing. I guess that can be for the next lawsuit.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Wal Mart Cashier "Seating Lawsuit"

Post by rwsandiego »

storewanderer wrote: October 13th, 2018, 1:34 am https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/walm ... nance.html

Stools are pretty bad for a person's back especially as they have to move around, bend, etc. I would think the motions of a cashier are better done standing. I guess that can be for the next lawsuit.
Agree, but if someone can't stand up for long periods of time a stool could be the only option. That said, some "stools" are really office chairs mounted on a high base, such as those used by bank tellers.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I'm thinking of a stool as something without a back. If it has a back, then I think it is good.

I have seen a few times a cashier in a store sitting on a stool. I can't remember when or where. From a productivity standpoint, I think in a light product/low volume environment like a drugstore it may be okay, but I struggle with this concept in something like a Wal Mart, a grocery store, a home improvement store, etc.

I wonder how this would work if Costco or Sam's Club was asked to allow the cashier to be in a stool. It may work at Sam's (lower volume place), but the Costco cashiers move around a lot to get the stuff scanned that is in the cart, get stuff back into the cart, etc.
J-Man
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by J-Man »

At the various Aldis I've been to in southern California, the cashiers are always seated.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

J-Man wrote: October 13th, 2018, 9:30 am At the various Aldis I've been to in southern California, the cashiers are always seated.
Maybe this works there since they don't handle bags, don't have a lot of large items, etc.

Maybe Wal Mart, etc. need to reconfigure the checkstands to be like Aldi where the cashier just scans your item and dumps it back into your cart for you to deal with after. The heck with customer service. Especially in California with the bag ban, with the majority of customers just taking items out loose in their carts, it would be more efficient for the grocers to do it that way. But if you have no cart...?

A good, customer service focused cashier would not even WANT to be seated in a busy environment like a grocery store (again I think it is different in a department store or drug store and sitting there is probably fine). Because a key element of the job is to actually provide customer service. This means you have to load things back into the customer's cart. This may mean you have to go quickly chase down a customer who forgot an item when they walked away. This may mean you need to clean off your checkstand/counter.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

The cashiers at Aldi are all seated here, I don't remember if they are at Sav A Lot.

I haven't seen any seated cashiers at Walmart, but I have seen a few at Publix.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

cjd wrote: October 13th, 2018, 7:18 pm The cashiers at Aldi are all seated here, I don't remember if they are at Sav A Lot.

I haven't seen any seated cashiers at Walmart, but I have seen a few at Publix.
I'm also thinking in terms of stores where the cashier has to change physical locations to get from the cash register/scanner and to the area where bagging is. There is typically a conveyor belt that separates the scanner from the bagging area and to get down to the bags the cashier has to take a few steps. I guess they could ask for a rolling or automatic chair... This seems to be most common in stores with older style cashier unload checkstands (Raleys out west, King Soopers in Colorado come to mind).
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

Usually when I see the cashier seated at a full service store, they put the plastic bag rack nearby so they don't need to move far to bag items. Not many people request paper so it works. I don't know of any stores that have a conveyor belt between the scanning and bagging part of the counter.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

cjd wrote: October 14th, 2018, 12:50 pm Usually when I see the cashier seated at a full service store, they put the plastic bag rack nearby so they don't need to move far to bag items. Not many people request paper so it works. I don't know of any stores that have a conveyor belt between the scanning and bagging part of the counter.
Seems fairly common to have that belt to move items towards the far end (designed when there is someone separately bagging so the items move towards them without the cashier needing to push them down). However, they can be easily switched off when the cashier needs to bag (or when the customer is doing it and standing near the register itself).
Super S

Post by Super S »

A while back I came across this video (in an unknown grocery store, I presume U.K.) from 1978, which shows all of the cashiers seated, and ringing up the purchases on non-scanning NCR 255 registers.

I honestly can't say I have seen this anywhere though.