Ritz Camera Files Chapter 11

submariner
Founder of RetailWatchers.com
Founder of RetailWatchers.com

Ritz Camera Files Chapter 11

Post by submariner »

http://www.retail-merchandiser.com/inde ... Itemid=289

On Monday, Ritz Cameras, the nation's largest specialty camera chain, filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.

Ritz operates under such names as Ritz Camera, Wolf Camera, Kits Cameras, Inkley's and The Camera Shops, and also operates the 130-store Boater's World Marine Centers chain.
Alpha8472

Re: Ritz Camera Files Chapter 11

Post by Alpha8472 »

I passed by a Wolf Camera yesterday. It was quite dead inside. I don't know how these types of stores survive these days. People can buy cameras for cheaper at other places such as Best Buy or even Staples. Very few people use film anymore, so the 1 Hour photo business must not make much money at all.

The Consumerist posted some very interesting inside information about how poorly the company runs their stores.

http://consumerist.com/368786/10-confes ... alesperson

A friend of mine used to work for Ritz. He was laid off a couple of years ago and his store eventually closed a short time later.
Super S

Re: Ritz Camera Files Chapter 11

Post by Super S »

I purchased a camera tripod at a Ritz/Kits location several years back. The salesman insisted it would work with my VHS video camera. It didn't (it did not hold the weight) and I practically had to scream bloody murder to get a refund. Despite paying cash I had to wait 14 business days to get a refund..the attitude of the store as well as the corporate office was "we'll issue a refund when we feel like it" Needless to say I have not been back since. Their prices are simply too high for this kind of service.

These days, the same merchandise is often available at places like Best Buy, Costco, etc. at a significant cost savings. A chain like Ritz will have to provide exceptional service if it plans to survive these days.