Safeway Closing Store in Colorado Springs

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
KingU8ol0Soopers
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert

Safeway Closing Store in Colorado Springs

Post by KingU8ol0Soopers »

Safeway has announced that they are closing one of their stores in Colorado Springs due to low performance.

Kris Staaf, a sokeswoman for Safeway said, "It hadn't met our expectations, honestly," Staaf said of the store. "We looked at it, we evaluated it for more than a year, we looked at options for improving its performance. It was a business decision. It's a tough decision, but it's a business decision that we needed to close."

This won't be much of an inconvenience, however, as there are two other stores, both a couple of miles away; one is to the north, and the other, the east.

Another factor that may have contributed is that Walmart is building one of its Neighborhood Markets to a shopping center to the north of this Safeway, although Safeway did not say if that was a factor in closing the store.

It will probably be closed in around a month, all it's 50 employees are being transferred to other stores in the city.

This will leave Colorado Springs with 9 Safeway stores. Also, Safeway will no longer be the store leader; they will be tied with King Soopers (Kroger) and Walmart.

Here is a picture of it. As you can see, it has not been upgraded to the Lifestyle format. It actually looks surprisingly like my Safeway did before it got upgraded. The entrance area and area above it with the Safeway logo look almost exactly the same, in terms of design.

http://www.gazette.com/articles/safeway ... north.html
Forum Moderator
storewanderer

Re: Safeway Closing Store in Colorado Springs

Post by storewanderer »

Safeway used to be the leader in marketshare and store count in Colorado Springs. I am guessing with this move they will go into third place.

Not many positive comments about Safeway in the article comments.
KingU8ol0Soopers
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert

storewanderer wrote:Safeway used to be the leader in marketshare and store count in Colorado Springs. I am guessing with this move they will go into third place.
As I said in my lost post, they're going to be tied in second place with King Soopers and Walmart after this store closes.
Forum Moderator
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I'm thinking in terms of marketshare rather than raw store count. Since Safeway tends to run lower volume stores than Wal Mart or Kroger (usually... some exceptions there like Ralphs or QFC being lower volume than a typical Safeway) I would guess the other two may have a larger overall chunk of sales assuming their stores are more productive than the Safeways...
KingU8ol0Soopers
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert

A quick update to the story...

The shopping center that this Safeway is located in has fallen into foreclosure. It's not known if this store closing contributed to it.

Also, a date has been set for closure: June 9.
Forum Moderator