If you could bring one supermarket chain to your area which one would it be?

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
TW-Upstate NY
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Re: If you could bring one supermarket chain to your area which one would it be?

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

Wegman's of course would be my first choice. I would've said Real Canadian Superstore but that's a Loblaw banner and they did operate here previously so I guess that could be an honorable mention sort of thing. Wegman's from a practical standpoint but R.C.S. for nostalgia's sake if that makes any sense.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: If you could bring one supermarket chain to your area which one would it be?

Post by veteran+ »

Just dreamin but I wish:

1. Wegmans

2. Fred Myers large format

3. Super Target

4. Any large format stores like Krogers Market Place or the old Skaggs Albertsons combo stores

Huge fan of well run stores like the above!
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

storewanderer wrote: March 18th, 2020, 12:03 am
retailfanmitchell019 wrote: March 17th, 2020, 9:34 pm Here's what I'd like to have in Northern San Diego County:

Lunds/Byerlys (higher end conventional supermarket in the Twin Cities). I went to one 2 summers ago while visiting family in MN. Very high quality stores.

I'd like it if Kroger built a real Ralphs Marketplace store out here, like a Fry's or Kroger Marketplace, maybe even Fred Meyer-sized. There are a few large real estate parcels where one could be built. Problem is, land in California is very expensive.
How do you think Gelson's compares to Lunds/Byerlys? I thought they were pretty similar concepts...
Lunds/Byerlys are on the same level as Pavilions. Their stores are a little bit less "fancy" than Gelson's. I might go back to Minnesota this summer, so I'll probably go in one then.
klkla

Post by klkla »

I would like to see something more unique... Like a Jungle Jim's or Stew Leonard's.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

I'm not as bitter about H-E-B as I used to be...since they opened a new store right near me, it has reduced crowds at all the stores, and added some new features that I like, including a pizza restaurant and a demonstration kitchen (which in its last remodel, the "crowded H-E-B" removed), and it's large (100k square feet).

With Kroger in the ecosystem for the balance (especially with some items that H-E-B doesn't/rarely carries, for instance, kumquats, but I haven't seen any this season) and Aldi providing backup, it makes for a solid lineup. But I do want more:

Trader Joe's - Always usually stock up on dried fruit and whatever specialty item is selling (plus their store brand of white bread was/is pretty good)
Market Street - Screw Randalls, Market Street is larger, nicer, and better managed
Meijer - or some large-format store with GM and food, especially as the nearby Walmart is always crowded
Some independent, upscale leaning store with a great bakery and specialty imported items
klkla

Post by klkla »

pseudo3d wrote: March 20th, 2020, 6:52 pm I'm not as bitter about H-E-B as I used to be.
Why were you bitter at them?
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

klkla wrote: March 21st, 2020, 1:24 pm
pseudo3d wrote: March 20th, 2020, 6:52 pm I'm not as bitter about H-E-B as I used to be.
Why were you bitter at them?
It was kind of alluded to earlier in this thread, but at the time the only H-E-B stores I was near were always crowded and always a miserable experience, and everyone seemed to think H-E-B was a good grocery store despite its lack of amenities seen in other grocery stores. There were some other ongoing issues with them as well, but that's largely passed now.