Albertson/Vons/Pavilions Pricing

California. No non-grocery posts.
steps
Receiving Clerk
Receiving Clerk

Albertson/Vons/Pavilions Pricing

Post by steps »

I went to Albertson's, Vons and Pavilions tonight and pricing is much different across these banners.

Albertson's had a foot long deli sandwich for $5, Vons had them at $7.99 and Pavilions had them at $14.99???

The Albertsons version used Dietz and Watson or Primo Taglio (it wasn't labeled), Vons used Primo Taglio and Pavilions used Primo Taglio as well (maybe Boars Head but it wasn't labeled as such). The Vons and Pavilions sandwiches had the exact same packaging, Albertson's was different packaging

Vons had 18-count large Lucerne eggs for $1.49 (Just4U) but Albertsons and Pavilions didn't.

Albertsons had fried chicken for $5.97 (regular $6.99), Vons and Pavilions was $7.99.

Is Albertson's now trying to make the banners different? I know with Pavilions they are, but a $6 difference on a sandwich? That's crazy!
Super S

Re: Albertson/Vons/Pavilions Pricing

Post by Super S »

I can't speak for Vons or Pavilions since they are not in my market. But I will say that I still don't understand why Albertsons and Safeway banners still coexist in the same markets in some areas of Oregon and Washington. Very little remodeling has been done since the merger, many stores have closed (mostly Albertsons but there have been a few Safeways) and pricing doesn't really vary much but is not really all that great at either chain. Other than interior package differences (which are carryovers from before the merger) they really feel like the same stores now and do not really have a clear direction. While they have invested in some new Albertsons stores in the Boise area, the features of those stores haven't really branched out from Boise yet.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

Super S wrote: January 11th, 2021, 8:27 am I can't speak for Vons or Pavilions since they are not in my market. But I will say that I still don't understand why Albertsons and Safeway banners still coexist in the same markets in some areas of Oregon and Washington. Very little remodeling has been done since the merger, many stores have closed (mostly Albertsons but there have been a few Safeways) and pricing doesn't really vary much but is not really all that great at either chain. Other than interior package differences (which are carryovers from before the merger) they really feel like the same stores now and do not really have a clear direction. While they have invested in some new Albertsons stores in the Boise area, the features of those stores haven't really branched out from Boise yet.
I'd say the remaining Albertsons in Western Washington (with the exception of Kitsap Co/Gig Harbor) should rebrand to Safeway. SVU damaged the Albertsons brand there.
Why should Albertsons stay in Kitsap? Albertsons has a stronger presence than Safeway there, and nice early 2000's stores.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

steps wrote: January 10th, 2021, 9:20 pm I went to Albertson's, Vons and Pavilions tonight and pricing is much different across these banners.

Albertson's had a foot long deli sandwich for $5, Vons had them at $7.99 and Pavilions had them at $14.99???

The Albertsons version used Dietz and Watson or Primo Taglio (it wasn't labeled), Vons used Primo Taglio and Pavilions used Primo Taglio as well (maybe Boars Head but it wasn't labeled as such). The Vons and Pavilions sandwiches had the exact same packaging, Albertson's was different packaging

Vons had 18-count large Lucerne eggs for $1.49 (Just4U) but Albertsons and Pavilions didn't.

Albertsons had fried chicken for $5.97 (regular $6.99), Vons and Pavilions was $7.99.

Is Albertson's now trying to make the banners different? I know with Pavilions they are, but a $6 difference on a sandwich? That's crazy!
In Las Vegas the Vons and the Albertsons banner have different J4U "personalized" offers. I think the Vons are still getting SoCal offers on J4U. Screwed up program for sure.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

steps wrote: January 10th, 2021, 9:20 pm I went to Albertson's, Vons and Pavilions tonight and pricing is much different across these banners.

You better look at the ads. The prices in Vons and Albertsons are EXACTLY the same. Eggs are $1.49 advertised at ALL 3 at that price. The fried chicken is $5.79 at both Vons and Albertsons. Deli sandwich is $5 at both Vons and Albertsons.

Pavilions is different on some prices. Pavilions had the friend chicken as part of $5 Fridays for $5.

For all 3 banners, there was a Just for U digital coupon for $2 off the chicken additional. $3.97 at Vons and Albertsons and $3 this past Friday at Pavilions with that digital coupon. Got it myself today.

I discuss these prices in a SoCal Facebook coupon group I belong to every week so I know this upside down.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

storewanderer wrote: January 11th, 2021, 5:31 pm

In Las Vegas the Vons and the Albertsons banner have different J4U "personalized" offers. I think the Vons are still getting SoCal offers on J4U. Screwed up program for sure.
I get better offers than Las Vegas gets for Just For U in SoCal. These are not personalized offers, anyway. I also can use the $1/1 any item coupons from Las Vegas AND Safeway Northern California and they stack on the same item (for example, I get $2 off produce, $2 off any O Organics item every week plus rotating every other week, two of these: $1/1 any cereal, $1/1 any yogurt, $1/1 any frozen, $1/1 any bakery. I can also stack a $5 off $50 from Las Vegas, a $5 off $50 from Safeway Northern California and if I get a personalized $5 off $50 in Southern California, I can stack that as well for $15 off $50.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

CalItalian wrote: January 11th, 2021, 10:12 pm
I get better offers than Las Vegas gets for Just For U in SoCal. These are not personalized offers, anyway. I also can use the $1/1 any item coupons from Las Vegas AND Safeway Northern California and they stack on the same item (for example, I get $2 off produce, $2 off any O Organics item every week plus rotating every other week, two of these: $1/1 any cereal, $1/1 any yogurt, $1/1 any frozen, $1/1 any bakery. I can also stack a $5 off $50 from Las Vegas, a $5 off $50 from Safeway Northern California and if I get a personalized $5 off $50 in Southern California, I can stack that as well for $15 off $50.
Interesting about the stacking. Some weeks when I've shopped in multiple regions and added offers at the different locations I've gone to, I've had strange things like that happen where two of the $1 off apply somewhere and in one case it gave me a negative total and they shrugged and cashed it out (change came out of the dispenser, so I guess that was a while ago).

For a while Fresno Vons carried both the NorCal and SoCal Personalized Offers (so they had twice as many offers as usual). They seem to have fixed that.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

Wow, I'm feeling left out. Back in November, I received a $10 off $10 coupon; when I switched to the Las Vegas market, the coupon disappeared -- and didn't return when I returned to Orange County. Several of the coupons I added while in Las Vegas (e.g. $1 off any frozen aisle purchase) disappeared as well when I returned to Orange County.

We have two accounts, and we spend a lot of money at Albertsons. The $10 off $10 was the last personalized coupon the one account received. The other keeps receiving a perpetual "double points" coupon for produce and meat purchases. Very disappointing. And so have Albertsons sales circulars -- I can only assume that business has been brisk that they feel little need to discount many items.

A great example: since at least 2017 (when we "rediscovered" Albertsons), they've had Coca Cola products/12 packs on sale for $2.99 (it started at $2.39 and gradually increased) at least every other week (sometimes in larger frequency). In the past seven weeks, they've been priced below $4 just one week. Meanwhile, Ralphs has broke that threshold most weeks (including three at $2.50). Soda is typically the largest loss leader for traditional supermarkets.
Super S

Post by Super S »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: January 11th, 2021, 9:18 am
I'd say the remaining Albertsons in Western Washington (with the exception of Kitsap Co/Gig Harbor) should rebrand to Safeway. SVU damaged the Albertsons brand there.
Why should Albertsons stay in Kitsap? Albertsons has a stronger presence than Safeway there, and nice early 2000's stores.
Safeway has stores where Albertsons has been absent. There is one Albertsons each in Vancouver and Battle Ground. (Vancouver has many Safeway locations, there is also a Safeway in Battle Ground) After Battle Ground, the next Albertsons is at Tumwater. Safeway is present in many towns in between: Woodland, Kelso, Longview, Centralia, Chehalis. Safeway also has a presence on the Oregon Coast.

Albertsons did operate a store in Longview many years ago in the old Triangle Mall development but it was gone by the mid 1980s, that building was torn down years ago.

I agree that SVU did a lot of damage to the Albertsons brand in this area...Safeway is clearly the stronger brand.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Super S wrote: January 16th, 2021, 4:01 pm
I agree that SVU did a lot of damage to the Albertsons brand in this area...Safeway is clearly the stronger brand.
Beyond small pockets Safeway is probably the stronger brand in most places. Southern Oregon and Las Vegas come to mind as places where Albertsons seems to be the stronger brand. Are there any pockets in California where Albertsons has a better reputation than Vons (shouldn't be very hard to have a better reputation than Vons...)? Maybe Bakersfield? Palm Springs?