McDonald's Selling Chicken Wings

Alpha8472

McDonald's Selling Chicken Wings

Post by Alpha8472 »

McDonald's has started selling bone-in chicken wings. They have several different box sizes and are offering meal combos as well. I must say that they are really going out on a limb here. KFC recently started switching to boneless chicken to become more like McDonald's. McDonald's has always had boneless chicken because of the convenience. People want easy to eat chicken nuggets with no bones. KFC had bones and this made eating very messy and it was a chore to eat around the bones.

Now McDonald's is getting into the chicken wings business. Those chicken wing restaurants have been popping up all over the place and McDonald's saw that they were losing business. Now McDonald's is striking back with their fast food chicken wings. I don't know about the quality, but McDonald's is all about speed and lower quality chicken. Can the taste really hold up to restaurants that specialize in chicken wings that are seasoned and cooked in a time consuming process? McDonald's really rushes food preparation and it shows.

The price is not really that great at McDonald's. I believe that the price was about $4 to $7.

The wings are only supposed to be around until the end of November.

First, it was the new McWrap which was supposed to be a healthier menu item to compete with Subway. Now McDonald's is competing with fast casual chicken wings restaurants.
Alpha8472

Re: McDonald's Selling Chicken Wings

Post by Alpha8472 »

I tried out the chicken wings. The 3 piece was about $3.19 before tax. There was also a 5 piece and a 10 piece. The 10 piece was about $8.99 before tax.

The flavor was bland. It was hot and fresh, but the flavor was lacking. My friend also tried the chicken wings and he also thought that the flavor was not very good. The price was not good and I will not be trying it again.

I am pretty sure that they will stop selling chicken wings after this promotion is over. Chicken wings are too messy. People want convenient fast food, and cleaning up after eating chicken wings is a chore.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

Haven't they had these as a regional item for a while now? I haven't tried these yet, but KFC Hot Wings sound like a better deal.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

KFC is not doing so well these days. The KFC in my city closed down several months ago. It never did much business even in the busy downtown area. People are flocking to Subway these days as well as going to fast casual restaurants such as Chipotle and Habit Burger.

However, KFC hot wings would be so much better than what McDonald's has to offer.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I watched the MCD at LAX for about 15 minutes early this week and saw a lot of people ordering the wings. I went to a MCD here in Reno yesterday to buy a drink and of the 3 customers I saw go through in the 10 or so minutes I was inside, 2 of them were ordering these wings too.

When MCD did the wings as a regional item they had to stop because demand was too high for the supply agreements they signed.

I have not tried these wings, and won't unless I get a free coupon, but I would not have very high expectations. My expectations for any food at MCD are very low.