Starbucks in malls?

ninersdd
Produce Clerk
Produce Clerk

Starbucks in malls?

Post by ninersdd »

Recently Starbucks at separate malls have closed near me. Last month Starbucks closed one of its 2 inside the Roseville Galleria. (Actually the one that closed is on the outside in the main promenade, the one near Macys inside is still open). Both opened around 2011-12, around the full reopening after the fire. (Also Starbucks closed another one directly across the street in the shopping center east of it late last year).

The Starbucks at Arden Fair closed a few weeks ago. This had been there for a very long time. It was fairly small, but accessible from the outside and inside. Another hit to Arden. (I haven't been to the mall nearly as much thanks to the pandemic and Nordstrom closing). There are a couple about a mile away from it.

Are Starbucks in malls closing more thanks to the pandemic, or is this just something that is exclusive to these Sacramento area malls.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Starbucks in malls?

Post by rwsandiego »

It would surprise me if they closed in all malls. The Scottsdale Fashion Square location still has interminable lines during the pandemic.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

They had one in a mall in Salem, OR that they closed a number of years ago. But that is a sort of iffy mall anyway.

I am a little surprised to hear they closed at Arden, despite what has happened, I would think there is still enough foot traffic there to support a Starbucks. It looks like no time is being wasted turning Arden into a dead mall.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

At the Washington Square, there were two Starbucks locations. Only one has reopened since COVID. The closed location still has all their signage up and all their equipment still in there. I did hear from someone that they are reluctant to reopen that location since keeping customers six feet apart is challenging due to the crowds.it attracts and the layout of the store.
ninersdd
Produce Clerk
Produce Clerk

Post by ninersdd »

Come to think of it, Starbucks does seem to be gravitating more toward drive thru locations then not. Ones with a drive thru take in 50% more in sales then ones that do not. One store at Town and County Village in Sacramento, without a drive thru, opened in 1994, and was the first one in the Sacramento area. Last month however, this one moved across the street to an abandoned Burger King. In Rancho Cordova, same thing happened with it moving into one across the street with a drive thru.

Article of how valuable drive thru Starbucks are: https://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/ ... j=23049617
Super S

Post by Super S »

The Triangle Center in Longview, WA recently lost its Starbucks to a new-build standalone location not far away.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

My local mall had a Starbucks from about 2004-2007 when a new drive thru location was built. I don't remember if the two ever operated concurrently or if it closed just after the new one was opened.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Starbucks is using the COVID situation as an excuse to close down their stores. They are focusing on keeping the more profitable drive thru locations open. Many of their walk-in cafes are closed temporarily. They did an analysis and realized that they could lay off a significant number of their employees and save a ton of money. The stores are mothballed until further notice. If the coronavirus situation continues, they can close the locations permanently.

Starbucks used to get most of their business from commuters or from office workers on their breaks. Now that people are working from home, Starbucks has lost those commuter sales and the office worker crowds. Mall locations are not profitable enough except on the weekends, so many mall locations are mothballed. Starbucks spends more money on employee health benefits than on coffee. Now Starbucks is cleaning house and getting rid of the expensive employees.

There is a Starbucks inside of a Macy's near me. I believe that it is staffed by Macy's employees. That is why it is still open.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: February 27th, 2021, 9:27 pm Starbucks is using the COVID situation as an excuse to close down their stores. They are focusing on keeping the more profitable drive thru locations open. Many of their walk-in cafes are closed temporarily. They did an analysis and realized that they could lay off a significant number of their employees and save a ton of money. The stores are mothballed until further notice. If the coronavirus situation continues, they can close the locations permanently.

Starbucks used to get most of their business from commuters or from office workers on their breaks. Now that people are working from home, Starbucks has lost those commuter sales and the office worker crowds. Mall locations are not profitable enough except on the weekends, so many mall locations are mothballed. Starbucks spends more money on employee health benefits than on coffee. Now Starbucks is cleaning house and getting rid of the expensive employees.

There is a Starbucks inside of a Macy's near me. I believe that it is staffed by Macy's employees. That is why it is still open.
All Starbucks in Reno are open again. However they have really cut their hours at some, but not all, of the locations. About 15% of the locations that used to close at 8 or 9 PM now close at 5 PM or 6 PM.

When I drive by Starbucks locations with drive throughs I constantly see cars lined up at the drive throughs. I am really surprised but in Reno people have kept going to Starbucks as if nothing is happening. I know of people who work from home and drive to Starbucks in the morning and buy a drink then go back home to work all day (like they used to do when they went to the office).
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

Alpha8472 wrote: February 27th, 2021, 9:27 pm Starbucks is using the COVID situation as an excuse to close down their stores. They are focusing on keeping the more profitable drive thru locations open. Many of their walk-in cafes are closed temporarily. They did an analysis and realized that they could lay off a significant number of their employees and save a ton of money. The stores are mothballed until further notice. If the coronavirus situation continues, they can close the locations permanently.

The Starbucks stands inside supermarkets, Macy's, Target, college campuses, airports, hotels, etc. aren't "real" Starbucks, they're all licensed stores and staffed by their own employees.

For what it's worth, a recently opened Dutch Bros. coffee shop has cars in line all day, every day, but I'm not sure if it's because that popular or if it just opened a month ago or so ago.