Article about Kroger as a possible buyer for Dominick's

Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin. No non-grocery posts.
marshd1000
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Article about Kroger as a possible buyer for Dominick's

Post by marshd1000 »

Kroger buying Dominick's? Here is a article about that possibility:

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/b ... icago.html
Ohio Man
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Re: Article about Kroger as a possible buyer for Dominick's

Post by Ohio Man »

Interesting indeed. I'm sure Kroger execs are literally salivating at the prospect of re-entering the Chicago market. The one drawback could be Kroger's apparent reluctance to buy chains that need a lot of work. From what I've read on the web (which--gasp!--might not be totally accurate), Dominick's has a host of problems. Kroger seems more interested in chains which are doing at least reasonably well, such as Harris Teeter. In fact, a Kroger exec has been quoted as saying that Kroger will rely on Harris Teeter's expertise to help its other stores. I guess time will tell if Kroger perceives the advantages of a large Chicagoland presence outweighing the negatives.
Alpha8472

Re: Article about Kroger as a possible buyer for Dominick's

Post by Alpha8472 »

Jewel-Osco dominates the Chicago region. There are many more Jewel stores than Dominick's. The risk is that the new Albertsons management could make Jewel unbeatable in the area. The damage that Safeway did to Dominick's will be hard to undo. Many of those old customers won't ever go back even under Kroger's management.