Hows Market (Last of the Hughes Family Markets) Closing

California. No non-grocery posts.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Hows Market (Last of the Hughes Family Markets) Closing

Post by CalItalian »

I'm a little late posting this...

The last Hows Markets location is closing... So closes the Hughes Family Markets history. I loved Hughes Markets. They were the best for meat quality (and price) and produce...and free knife sharpening....

http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/busines ... r-15-years

http://www.howsmarkets.com
storewanderer

Re: Hows Market (Last of the Hughes Family Markets) Closing

Post by storewanderer »

I'm not surprised this store is closing, it didn't look too great late last year and customer count was very low. I had never been to a Hows before, and had pretty high expectations of the place. But it was nothing special at all; just very high prices and a really basic mix.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

storewanderer wrote:I'm not surprised this store is closing, it didn't look too great late last year and customer count was very low. I had never been to a Hows before, and had pretty high expectations of the place. But it was nothing special at all; just very high prices and a really basic mix.
USDA Prime Chateaubriand Steaks for $9.99 lb. or less...that what was special about HOWS. Hughes Markets also had very high quality beef, USDA Choice and Prime, at a time other chains only sold ungraded beef...and they sold it at the same supermarket chain prices.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

When I was there, the freshness of the meat seemed to be lacking. That would have been around September. The decision to close had already probably been made and they had stopped trying.

I didn't know they were down to just one location though.

California grocery chains have far lower quality meat than their affiliates in surrounding states sell.