Walgreens Closures Continue in San Francisco

reymann
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Walgreens Closures Continue in San Francisco

Post by reymann »

what's going on in san francisco is a double whammy, slow returning to the office and people permanently leaving the city for cheaper real estate further inland. i also feel like more of the businesses in downtown SF are gonna start migrating to sacramento on top of everything soon enough.
veteran+
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by veteran+ »

:roll:
Alpha8472
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Alpha8472 »

I found Sacramento to be a totally different city. It seemed almost park-like around the Capitol. There were lots of trees and it seemed much less like a concrete jungle. However, the city seemed so spread out. It was difficult to walk around.

I don't know about the night life, but it seemed really boring compared to San Francisco.

The climate was absolutely miserable with 100 degree temperatures in the summer. I walked around for just a few minutes and I was drenched in sweat. It is not pleasant unless you have an air conditioned car. At night, the temperatures could be in the 80s. There was no relief. Perhaps that is why the homeless go to San Francisco. Sacramento is not pleasant for homeless people to live outdoors.
storewanderer
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: August 16th, 2022, 5:08 pm I found Sacramento to be a totally different city. It seemed almost park-like around the Capitol. There were lots of trees and it seemed much less like a concrete jungle. However, the city seemed so spread out. It was difficult to walk around.

I don't know about the night life, but it seemed really boring compared to San Francisco.

The climate was absolutely miserable with 100 degree temperatures in the summer. I walked around for just a few minutes and I was drenched in sweat. It is not pleasant unless you have an air conditioned car. At night, the temperatures could be in the 80s. There was no relief. Perhaps that is why the homeless go to San Francisco. Sacramento is not pleasant for homeless people to live outdoors.
Sacramento has tried to develop its downtown with the new stadium and re-tooling the K Street Mall into more of a restaurant/entertainment type of complex to go with the stadium. The Kimpton Hotel built there is a really nice facility and the older Holiday Inn is, for an old Holiday Inn, considering its age, also pretty decent. There are a couple blocks nearby with some restaurants and bars that stay open late also but there is not much night life in downtown Sacramento. It is just not the same as San Francisco. There is still a very significant homeless population and there are issues in downtown Sacramento (but nothing like downtown San Francisco specifically the Union Square area at this point in time). From a retail standpoint, downtown Sacramento is a total dud. Macy's stayed at K Street but that is really about it.

San Francisco just has to much more to offer. Between historically excellent shopping, great sightseeing, the cultural areas like Chinatown and North Beach, Fisherman's Wharf (touristy but still very scenic), and much stronger public transportation, beyond the climate difference you mention being much more pleasant to hang around outside, it just has much more to offer than Sacramento. And this doesn't even touch on the arts, performances, etc. More sports, closer to the ocean. Close to a major international airport with hundreds of daily international flights worldwide accessible by multiple forms of public transportation seamlessly. Folks who leave San Francisco are basically leaving that "city life" behind them and moving to suburban sprawl life of strip malls with big flat parking lots and chain restaurants if they move to a place like Sacramento. Slowly there is getting to be more culture in places like Sacramento, but it is harder for it to gain traction, due to demographics, the sprawl situation, etc. It is much easier to offer more in a big city where things are closer together. But the crime situation has gotten so bad in San Francisco that many are opting to just leave it all behind...
norcalriteaidclerk
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by norcalriteaidclerk »

storewanderer wrote:
Alpha8472 wrote: August 16th, 2022, 5:08 pm I found Sacramento to be a totally different city. It seemed almost park-like around the Capitol. There were lots of trees and it seemed much less like a concrete jungle. However, the city seemed so spread out. It was difficult to walk around.

Sacramento has tried to develop its downtown with the new stadium and re-tooling the K Street Mall into more of a restaurant/entertainment type of complex to go with the stadium. The Kimpton Hotel built there is a really nice facility and the older Holiday Inn is, for an old Holiday Inn, considering its age, also pretty decent. There are a couple blocks nearby with some restaurants and bars that stay open late also but there is not much night life in downtown Sacramento. It is just not the same as San Francisco. There is still a very significant homeless population and there are issues in downtown Sacramento (but nothing like downtown San Francisco specifically the Union Square area at this point in time). From a retail standpoint, downtown Sacramento is a total dud. Macy's stayed at K Street but that is really about it.

San Francisco just has to much more to offer. Between historically excellent shopping, great sightseeing, the cultural areas like Chinatown and North Beach, Fisherman's Wharf (touristy but still very scenic), and much stronger public transportation, beyond the climate difference you mention being much more pleasant to hang around outside, it just has much more to offer than Sacramento. And this doesn't even touch on the arts, performances, etc. More sports, closer to the ocean. Close to a major international airport with hundreds of daily international flights worldwide accessible by multiple forms of public transportation seamlessly. Folks who leave San Francisco are basically leaving that "city life" behind them and moving to suburban sprawl life of strip malls with big flat parking lots and chain restaurants if they move to a place like Sacramento. Slowly there is getting to be more culture in places like Sacramento, but it is harder for it to gain traction, due to demographics, the sprawl situation, etc. It is much easier to offer more in a big city where things are closer together. But the crime situation has gotten so bad in San Francisco that many are opting to just leave it all behind...
Only twice in my lifetime have even visited San Francisco (7th grade field trip to the exploratorium spring 1990, Giants game July 1994);but at this point 15 years ago(when RAD still had stores in the City of San Francisco), I fantasized about moving there considering that even today certain bus routes run 24/7 and there are more developed ethnic enclaves(Chinatown, Japan Center, North Beach).Boy have times changed.

Back to downtown Sacramento,technically there's still chain retail on the downtown/midtown border(CVS at 1701 K, Mini-Target a block away);but the ill-advised closure of the Rite Aid at 831 K (i still miss that place) leaves a couple of 7-elevens(within five blocks of one another along j)as the only chain retail on or near the(historical)Kay.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

For your life,Thrifty and Payless have got it.