Car Dealerships & Electric Vehicles

mjhale
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Re: Car Dealerships & Electric Vehicles

Post by mjhale »

I would happily purchase an EV when charging stations are common as opposed to uncommon. Also, I want to see the EV options from the traditional vehicle manufacturers and not be limited to Telsa plus a few unknown vehicle manufactures. veteran+ and others hit the other issue that charging stations need to be much more common than they are now for EV adoption to occur in large numbers. Also as buckguy said charging in condo/apartment buildings and those in townhouses without garages need to be solved in large scale as well. I think retailers and shopping center developers need to look at EV charging stations as a way to draw in customers to stay in a store or center while their vehicle charges. Sheetz and Wawa have the right idea to leverage their food options while someone is charging their vehicle. The EV transition needs time and more cooperation but in a our partisan country we might end up with gasoline states and EV states just like we have blue and red states and all that. Ugh.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: October 12th, 2022, 8:09 am I am not conerned about market share. That would not influence me to purchase a Tesla. There are myriad under reported problems with Teslas. And frankly, who cares if the E Suite is driving their own manufactured cars? Is that supposed to convince me to buy their product?

Regardless of who is producing EVs.........................the infrastructure is the key, and it's just not there yet to convince the majority of buyers to buy electric.
At least Tesla has a tract record and the issues are known.. those other brands... who knows. Could be even more issues with them once they have more vehicles out there...

If I am buying a product and learn the E Suite doesn't use the said product, I have to wonder why... not expecting they necessarily drive the specific model I'm buying. but that brand's electric vehicles in general.

Just because the executives used it wouldn't make me buy it, I would do my own research. But them not using it sends a big red flag.

Sort of like when you go to a restaurant and ask how something is and get told a response of "oh I never eat here" by the employee...
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Personally I liked hybrids, until I heard a battery replacement and related repair bill is Over $10k. Also that if you get in an accident the vehicle is very likely totaled. Also I've heard mixed reports of very high auto insurance rates, double an identical age size and make dino vehicle, on hybrids and EVs.
Romr123
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Romr123 »

The high insurance rates are most likely due to scarcity. A similarly scarce gasoline vehicle would be similarly expensive to insure. Recently there was a Mclaren ($500k supercar) which was in a low-speed accident here in suburban Detroit...it was totaled with roughly $35k in damage because there are -no- replacement body/chassis parts. None. Nowhere. There are reasons that scarce/antique/supercars aren't insured by your garden variety company/agent...they simply don't fit into the average insurance company's models.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

storewanderer wrote: October 12th, 2022, 10:55 pm
veteran+ wrote: October 12th, 2022, 8:09 am I am not conerned about market share. That would not influence me to purchase a Tesla. There are myriad under reported problems with Teslas. And frankly, who cares if the E Suite is driving their own manufactured cars? Is that supposed to convince me to buy their product?

Regardless of who is producing EVs.........................the infrastructure is the key, and it's just not there yet to convince the majority of buyers to buy electric.
At least Tesla has a tract record and the issues are known.. those other brands... who knows. Could be even more issues with them once they have more vehicles out there...

If I am buying a product and learn the E Suite doesn't use the said product, I have to wonder why... not expecting they necessarily drive the specific model I'm buying. but that brand's electric vehicles in general.

Just because the executives used it wouldn't make me buy it, I would do my own research. But them not using it sends a big red flag.

Sort of like when you go to a restaurant and ask how something is and get told a response of "oh I never eat here" by the employee...
Okay, I get it, but restaurant employees are rarely involved in massive public relations, propaganda and advertising campaigns that are all "self interest" driven.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: October 13th, 2022, 7:09 am

Okay, I get it, but restaurant employees are rarely involved in massive public relations, propaganda and advertising campaigns that are all "self interest" driven.
Let's just see what happens. The reality is the politicians, executives, and others behind the recent push for EVs and making a rather rigid timeline for establishing laws pushing moving to all EVs- overwhelming numbers of these folks will have moved on from their current positions by then, some will be retired, etc. But I suspect Elon will still be at Tesla. When they opened the factory in Sparks he was known to show up out on the factory floor multiple times when it was running behind and assist with production. That doesn't happen anymore, but it did in the first couple years the plant was open. That says a lot.

I don't know about you but I have the idea if I push some kind of initiative I will stick around to see it through and get it done (or admit defeat for x, y, z reasons). And I feel that is what Elon has done at Tesla. These politicians and other companies going into EV's - we will see what happens in the future. It could happen.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

I'm gonna stay quiet about Elon..............................

😡