Kum & Go To Close Most Walk Up Stores

Alpha8472

Kum & Go To Close Most Walk Up Stores

Post by Alpha8472 »

They will close most walk up stores that do not sell fuel.

https://csnews.com/kum-go-close-most-walk-stores
pseudo3d

Re: Kum & Go To Close Most Walk Up Stores

Post by pseudo3d »

Most "non-fuel" convenience stores (with the exceptions of being in modern shopping plazas and downtowns) are musty, dirty holes that are far past their expiration date. It should be noted that the reason why modern 7-Eleven and Circle K stores in most of Texas are largely gas-adjacent, modern operations is their predecessors put a lot of work purging old stores from the fleet. The 7-Eleven stores Storewanderer describes out west and the 7-Eleven stores I see in my area are like two completely different chains.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

The 2 Denver walk-up (interesting term) Kum & Go units were only open for a couple years. I do wonder if these could work for a different c-store operator, perhaps an independent. Also the liquor laws in CO make things difficult but those continue to loosen up and will be loosening up more next year. So I do think these stores could make a go of it for an independent operator.

One thing I have noticed about Kum & Go is if something is not working out, it goes... quickly. Very quickly.

Kum & Go has some old former 7-Elevens from the early 90's bankruptcy of Southland up in WY. I think they have replaced many of them at this point but there may still be a few.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

I'm seeing the first signs of Kum & Go in Utah, with a construction site for a store on 900 E in Murray. I suspect it will take a few months to build.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Brian Lutz wrote: December 31st, 2022, 2:54 pm I'm seeing the first signs of Kum & Go in Utah, with a construction site for a store on 900 E in Murray. I suspect it will take a few months to build.
They are sure moving quickly. We will see how they do. Something tells me Maverik is not concerned.

Maybe they are trying to egg Maverik on for a merger. That may actually not be a bad idea.

Maverik just has the strangest way of doing business. Build nice stores, then let them get run down due to lack of maintenance, when they are finally run down beyond belief, close them down for a month for a remodel and they open up with all new equipment and in great shape again. Then a year after said remodel you can already feel them running down and lacking maintenance again. Very interesting model. I guess it works.
mburb1981
Produce Clerk
Produce Clerk

Post by mburb1981 »

The first Michigan Kum & Go is now open in Walker. Stores in Wyoming and Grandville are opening soon, and Detroit stores will follow next year.
https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/kum-go ... ce=twitter
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

mburb1981 wrote: January 20th, 2023, 3:19 pm The first Michigan Kum & Go is now open in Walker. Stores in Wyoming and Grandville are opening soon, and Detroit stores will follow next year.
https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/kum-go ... ce=twitter
I suggest Kum & Go expand into Nevada after they get Utah and Idaho off the ground. They are clearly going after Maverik, and this has been a very successful market for Maverik. The EG Group Quik Stop units in Nevada could be a good expansion target for Kum & Go, those were great performers under Kroger.