Made in Oregon closing Clackamas Town Center

bryceleinan
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Made in Oregon closing Clackamas Town Center

Post by bryceleinan »

Made in Oregon, a chain specializing in products, you guessed it, Made in Oregon is closing their Clackamas Town Center location according to their Facebook page . This store opened in 1982, close to when the center opened: https://madeinoregon.com/store-location ... -in-oregon

It’s a fairly small chain, however, I keep hearing that Clackamas TC is in decline. Not sure what the Portland peeps think.
storewanderer

Re: Made in Oregon closing Clackamas Town Center

Post by storewanderer »

Their store in PDX was always somewhat interesting.

I do not appreciate them charging above the state mandated .05 for bags though. They were wanting .15 or something. They only got one transaction from me after that.
Super S

Post by Super S »

bryceleinan wrote: January 9th, 2023, 7:28 pm Made in Oregon, a chain specializing in products, you guessed it, Made in Oregon is closing their Clackamas Town Center location according to their Facebook page . This store opened in 1982, close to when the center opened: https://madeinoregon.com/store-location ... -in-oregon

It’s a fairly small chain, however, I keep hearing that Clackamas TC is in decline. Not sure what the Portland peeps think.
The chain seems to shifting away from lower traffic mall locations. I know they used to have a store at Lloyd Center, and the store at Clackamas is in a less-busy wing of the mall. The stores themselves were an interesting place to look around but seemed high priced to me, and almost seem more suited to "touristy" areas and the airport location more than anything.

As for Clackamas Town Center, It does seem to be gradually declining. In its heyday the mall actually had a good variety of smaller stores, and had JCPenney, Meier & Frank, Nordstrom, Montgomery Ward, and Sears all present as anchors. Even the anchor stores had some variety. I personally think the decline started when they decided to take out the ice rink. Last time I was in the mall about a year ago, I noticed that DIck's Sporting Goods was open in the lower level only of the old Sears, but that whole end of the mall seemed pretty dead. It seems like the whole mall is busier east of the original Macy's (the old Meier & Frank) which also has the newer outside retail adjacent to the mall. I will say that it is not as enjoyable of a place to visit as in years past...the only anchor still present in original form is JCPenney and the more interesting small stores, which were a mix of local and national operators, are for the most part gone. The mall certainly doesn't have as broad of an appeal as it once did.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

The Naito Family (as far as I know they still own and operate MiO) have been decreasing their business holdings and properties for some time. After Bill Naito passed away, the family had a rift and split the family companies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Nait ... ties,_Inc.

I am assuming his brother Sam may be near passing (online you can find he was born in 1921) and his children may also feel the time for "Made in Oregon" has come. I have only been in one location downtown and they shooed us out as it was mall closing time.

The chain does have one location left on Concourse C at PDX and is captured in many historical phots of the airport.
bryceleinan
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by bryceleinan »

Well, in an interesting reversal of fortunes, Made in Oregon announced on FB that they renegotiated their lease and are remaining open at Clackamas.