Journeys To Close 100 Stores & Grow Off Mall

Alpha8472

Journeys To Close 100 Stores & Grow Off Mall

Post by Alpha8472 »

The company will close 100 stores and expand the number of off-mall stores. Without the mall stores, how will anyone even notice this chain? I don't think teens will go out of their way to find a Journeys store outside of a mall.

https://chainstoreage.com/journeys-clos ... -grow-mall
storewanderer

Re: Journeys To Close 100 Stores & Grow Off Mall

Post by storewanderer »

Never knew what this chain sold until I looked into it after seeing this article...

Still 800 stores left.
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

Alpha8472 wrote: May 30th, 2023, 4:09 pm The company will close 100 stores and expand the number of off-mall stores. Without the mall stores, how will anyone even notice this chain? I don't think teens will go out of their way to find a Journeys store outside of a mall.
Do teens even go to malls anymore?
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

mbz321 wrote: May 31st, 2023, 8:17 am
Alpha8472 wrote: May 30th, 2023, 4:09 pm The company will close 100 stores and expand the number of off-mall stores. Without the mall stores, how will anyone even notice this chain? I don't think teens will go out of their way to find a Journeys store outside of a mall.
You took the words right out of my keyboard.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

rwsandiego wrote: May 31st, 2023, 1:50 pm
Possibly not to many of them, since they prohibited those (potential) customers, at least at certain times, without an adult (which doesn't seem like most teens' idea of a good time).
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

rwsandiego wrote: May 31st, 2023, 1:50 pm
Reminds me of the Godfather's Pizza in Reno on California Ave. next to a major high school. They decades ago instituted a policy that nobody under 18 could go inside without a parent before 4 PM or something. The high school was open campus so everyone could walk over to that shopping center. A Little Caesar's was on the next lot over and set up a makeshift table selling slices for $1 cash or something (no register or anything).

Ironically the Little Caesar's went out of business a long time ago but somehow the Godfather's has survived- not sure how. I keep wanting to try it then I remember how I could never go there when I wanted to as a teenager...

My point is these malls that prohibit teens, are making it so those teens skip the mall even after they are no longer in the "prohibited age group."
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

storewanderer wrote: May 31st, 2023, 7:02 pm Reminds me of the Godfather's Pizza in Reno on California Ave. next to a major high school. They decades ago instituted a policy that nobody under 18 could go inside without a parent before 4 PM or something. The high school was open campus so everyone could walk over to that shopping center. A Little Caesar's was on the next lot over and set up a makeshift table selling slices for $1 cash or something (no register or anything).

Ironically the Little Caesar's went out of business a long time ago but somehow the Godfather's has survived- not sure how. I keep wanting to try it then I remember how I could never go there when I wanted to as a teenager...

My point is these malls that prohibit teens, are making it so those teens skip the mall even after they are no longer in the "prohibited age group."
Sounds like someone had a good idea (wanting to keep kids out when they were supposed to be in school), but was too lazy to work with the school to find out what time students had a lunch break and when school dismissed.

Then they could have posted something like "No one under 18 allowed school days except from 11am-1pm and 3:30pm to closing" or similar (that is just a guess on a typical school lunch period(s) and dismissal). Keeps the kids from skipping classes, while still allowing them in for lunch, after school and any time there is a school break/holiday.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

BillyGr wrote: June 1st, 2023, 11:01 am

Sounds like someone had a good idea (wanting to keep kids out when they were supposed to be in school), but was too lazy to work with the school to find out what time students had a lunch break and when school dismissed.

Then they could have posted something like "No one under 18 allowed school days except from 11am-1pm and 3:30pm to closing" or similar (that is just a guess on a typical school lunch period(s) and dismissal). Keeps the kids from skipping classes, while still allowing them in for lunch, after school and any time there is a school break/holiday.
I've been close to some fast foods adjacent to high schools with open campuses where large groups of students went in and, for lack of better words, destroyed the dining areas every day at lunch. It wasn't so much intentional distruction as it was the sheer volume of students who go in during a very short time period, everyone is on a timer and in a big hurry, kitchens are slammed, some students aren't done eating when they need to go back, there isn't time to clean up messes (excuse perhaps), etc. I get it. But still find some way to service this customer base. Exterior tables, an outside table, etc.

One time myself and a few friends were kicked out of said Godfather's on an early dismissal day sometime in the 1:30 PM range (they had a lunch buffet- it was over at that point) and the place was deserted. Even if it was not a normal school day they would not allow us to buy anything (even if we wanted to go- no- outright refusal of service).