Haggen to close, liquidate 100 more stores

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
klkla

Re: Haggen to close, liquidate 100 more stores

Post by klkla »

storewanderer wrote:It appears there are six additional stores being marketed for sale (but not yet slated for closure?):

Burien, Puyallup and Federal Way, Wash., and Happy Valley, West Linn and Eugene, Ore.

I think Puyallup is an original Top Food? I thought the former Albertsons/Safeway in Puyallup was already earmarked for closure.
Are these stores part of the so-called 37 core stores?
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Yes, these stores are now on "both lists" as part of the "37 core stores" and also as part of the "stores for sale." So these stores are not going to have liquidation sales at this time but they are soliciting bids for these stores.

I am assuming someone came forward and made them an offer on some or all of these so they are testing the waters looking for higher bids.

Or they are just playing games.

Morale must be wonderful with this outfit right about now.
marshd1000
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by marshd1000 »

Just curious, how are you finding out this information? Where can we look this up?

The "Core Stores" that they are seeking bids on are all stores that were acquired from Albertsons/Safeway. But since they are willing to part with those, since they were supposedly successful under the Haggen banner, does this mean that the remaining legacy Haggens are up for sale?
marshd1000
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by marshd1000 »

Ok, I think this article answers some of my questions:

http://www.seattletimes.com/business/re ... ia-nevada/
marshd1000
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by marshd1000 »

Interesting perspective from the Bellingham Business Journal:

http://bbjtoday.com/blog/going-big-what ... lure/32439
klkla

Post by klkla »

marshd1000 wrote:Interesting perspective from the Bellingham Business Journal:

http://bbjtoday.com/blog/going-big-what ... lure/32439
Interesting article. What I found interesting was this quote:

"After the FTC ordered Albertsons to sell stores, Albertsons got to pick which stores to sell and who to sell to. The Federal Trade Commission reviewed the deal and was satisfied with Haggen’s chances."

Looks like they made the right choice (for eliminating a competitor)!
marshd1000
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by marshd1000 »

Interesting Haggen related article about empty supermarket space.

http://www.signalscv.com/section/24/article/143428/
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

marshd1000 wrote:It looks like officials in Baker City, Oregon are courting Winco foods to take over the soon to close Haggen location there:

http://www.bakercityherald.com/Local-Ne ... ace-Haggen
I wish them the best of luck. Baker County has been flat in population for decades at just under 10,000 and I don't know that WinCo would want to enter a market so small, although as noted, there is no Walmart. The nearest Walmart is in Ontario (74 miles southeast) or La Grande (45 miles over a mountain pass west).

In eastern Idaho, for example, there is still no WinCo Foods in Rexburg despite that community's explosive growth and the fact their shoppers in Idaho Falls clearly have license plates from several surrounding counties where Broulim's is the only grocer, and closed on Sundays.

If I were Albertsons-Safeway, I'd be trying to figure out how to lease back the Baker City "Albertsons" and move out of the Safeway. They are directly across the street and adjacent to I-84 but the Haggen store is a modern build out with a large beer / wine cooler, proper space for a customer service counter and significantly more sales floor than the Safeway building across the street. However, it lacks an in-store Starbucks.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

There are a handful of situations where the "nicer" former Albertsons/Safeway/Vons was divested to Haggen. But the FTC Agreement will restrict them from taking back their former stores as it currently stands. However I wonder if they could "exchange" their current store (and let go of its lease, not restrict another grocer from taking that building).

I highly doubt WinCo will open in Baker City. But someone else will...
klkla

Post by klkla »

storewanderer wrote:But the FTC Agreement will restrict them from taking back their former stores as it currently stands.
That's what I would think as well. But in the UFCW's filings yesterday objecting to the going out of business sales I found this quote which was interesting,

"(the going out of business sales) should be denied or delayed for several weeks to permit a comprehensive going concern sales process, including potentially a going concern sale of stores to Albertson's or another supermarket operator"