Associated Foods member Ridley's is expanding to American Falls

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Associated Foods member Ridley's is expanding to American Falls

Post by SamSpade »

This is a bit of a head scratcher to me. The article does have the mayor painting a rosy picture of American Falls growing (maybe?), and this is replacing a former ALCO store as photographed.

I am surprised because Associated already has a member store in town, Ken's Food Market. Perhaps "Ken" is nearing retirement and not seeing a future buyer? Not sure. That store is definitely more of a 'small town' grocery but very clean and well maintained when I was last there c. 2019. It is the state liquor store for the town. It's also in the same center as the community's drug store, Radio Shack, and across from Family Dollar, and open Sundays. So I don't really see what Ridley's adds other than the potential to place the other center out of business.

There will be an Arctic Circle restaurant as part of the store build out and expansion, so I assume this will be similar to all the newer Associated Foods stores, without the ACE Hardware component apparently.

Idaho State Journal: American Falls to get a Ridley's
Note, the URL is from archive.today as Adams Publishing has instituted moderate pay-walling across their newspapers sites.
storewanderer

Re: Associated Foods member Ridley's is expanding to American Falls

Post by storewanderer »

I wonder what will happen to Ken's. Maybe it will stay open but it seems like this would have a pretty significant impact on it. Usually Associated would offer the new store to the existing operator in town. Maybe Ken's didn't want the new store.

I am glad to see Ridley's seems to be healthy again. They have been doing some store remodels and adding self checkouts to existing stores. Ridley's seemed to be in trouble a while back after closing some UT Stores that they got from Supervalu and also I think they let a couple other UT Stores go to other Associated operators, and seemed to be having some operational problems.

Ridley's new store in Star is very nice and it sounds like this one will be similar.

I do wonder if Ridley's will take any Albertsons/Safeway divests in this Kroger transaction. I think most of the stores they bought in the Albertsons/Safeway merger are actually still open. I recall one or two closed. It will be interesting to see what happens. I am hopeful Ridley's will remain an independent chain and not sell out to anyone.