Shein buys 1/3 of Forever 21

Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Shein buys 1/3 of Forever 21

Post by Brian Lutz »

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/08/24/shein-s ... er-21.html

Singapore based (but Chinese originated) fast fashion retailer Shein is buying 1/3 of Forever 21's parent company Sparc. Shein currently has no retail presence in the US, but the deal appears to be an effort to establish one. Sparc also has ownership interest in Brooks Brothers, Lucky Brand and Nine West.
storewanderer

Re: Shein buys 1/3 of Forever 21

Post by storewanderer »

Ownership of Forever 21 is getting quite tangled up.

I find it ironic this junk "fast fashion" that creates so much waste continues to be so popular among the young consumers.
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

storewanderer wrote: August 24th, 2023, 5:39 pm Ownership of Forever 21 is getting quite tangled up.

I find it ironic this junk "fast fashion" that creates so much waste continues to be so popular among the young consumers.
These days, people don't have money for much else.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

mbz321 wrote: August 24th, 2023, 6:06 pm
storewanderer wrote: August 24th, 2023, 5:39 pm Ownership of Forever 21 is getting quite tangled up.

The stuff at Kohls, Target, and JCP is almost at the quality level of "fast fashion" anyway, especially on women's clothing. So I guess I sort of understand. But I don't see near the crowds at Forever 21 that I used to.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

storewanderer wrote: August 24th, 2023, 11:11 pm

The stuff at Kohls, Target, and JCP is almost at the quality level of "fast fashion" anyway, especially on women's clothing. So I guess I sort of understand. But I don't see near the crowds at Forever 21 that I used to.
When compared to H&M, I'd say Target, Kohl's, and JCP is better quality. Zara is probably on par with Target, Kohl's, and JCP. However, the point of fast fashion isn't quality, it's having what has been deemed "fashionable." JCP will never be considered "fashionable." Kohl's has probably missed that opportunity, and maybe Target could get there, but I don't think they target the fast-fashion demographic.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

rwsandiego wrote: August 25th, 2023, 6:38 pm
storewanderer wrote: August 24th, 2023, 11:11 pm

When compared to H&M, I'd say Target, Kohl's, and JCP is better quality. Zara is probably on par with Target, Kohl's, and JCP. However, the point of fast fashion isn't quality, it's having what has been deemed "fashionable." JCP will never be considered "fashionable." Kohl's has probably missed that opportunity, and maybe Target could get there, but I don't think they target the fast-fashion demographic.
Spot on!

JCP, Target, Kohls are not le mode depeche. But H&M's quality is truly flimsy!
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by buckguy »

Nothing new or novel about fast fashion. The charter mall tenants included lots of stores, particularly for women, that were like this—-Lerner was the last survivor but the average mall usually had several of them often owned by the same company, Petries, which accumulated any of these chains over time. These older chains didn’t adapt well to the baby bust or the aging of their boomer customers. Still, but stores like these stuck around in a variety places often with a more downscale clientele through the 90s with chains like Conways. H&M et al were just a rejuvenation of the sector with some appeal to younger and sometimes better off customers. There are newer chains that seem to be entering the market as alternatives, like Uniqlo and Primark. So far, they are mostly concentrated in coastal areas. I haven’t been to Primark but Uniqlo seems to be more about basics and good value than obviously cheap faddish stuff. PrimRk is an Irish chain owned by the George Weston empire that holds rights to the name Penney’s in Ireland.