Greedflation & Fast Food

ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Greedflation & Fast Food

Post by ClownLoach »

Bagels wrote: July 6th, 2023, 2:14 pm
Super S wrote: July 6th, 2023, 8:08 am I have to wonder if some of these restaurants (particularly those such as Jack In The Box which has been basically opening and closing when they feel like it and is often drive-thru only) also raised prices to discourage some people from coming there in the first place to keep the drive-thru lines shorter. Some of the price hikes have been significant, and many are at or above what their food is worth now.
I doubt they would discourage sales :). Closing the dining room equates into huge savings, so I'm not surprised many opt for that option. Chick-Fil-A has a few restaurants under renovation locally and on a community message forum, rumor is they're being converted to drive-through only. Meanwhile, places like Raising Cane's, In-N-Out, etc. that rely heavily on inside business, couldn't wait to get their doors open.

As long as customers keep coming, prices will continue to increase.
None of the Chick-fil-A locations I'm seeing renovated are closing the inside. They're opening a new location replacing a Claim Jumper tomorrow in Mission Viejo built from scratch and it has a dining room. I think Chick-fil-A is going back to their roots and building stores without dining rooms in what I'm going to call "Sonic" size buildings on small lots that couldn't normally accommodate a regular fast food restaurant. This enables them to find new markets where other Fast food can't operate and thus expand their business. One opened last month in Huntington Beach and it does have a large outside patio plus big walk up windows at a counter, this is a couple miles from the beach where outdoor dining is typical of all restaurants. San Juan Capistrano is another shoehorned size location that was under construction before the pandemic.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

Wendy’s does seem to be scaling down the item size in the $5 bag and 4 for $4. The sandwiches and nuggets (I wish they’d drop the “nuggs” baby talk slang crap they’ve adopted) are smaller. Since the pricing hasn’t increased, I guess I can’t complain.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

cjd wrote: September 29th, 2023, 5:46 pm Wendy’s does seem to be scaling down the item size in the $5 bag and 4 for $4. The sandwiches and nuggets (I wish they’d drop the “nuggs” baby talk slang crap they’ve adopted) are smaller. Since the pricing hasn’t increased, I guess I can’t complain.
Wendys food shrinks the longer it sits around.

Lately at one franchisees locations I get junior Burgers that are barely sliders and look meatless until you take the buns apart and verify the meat is hidden inside. At some other locations I get junior Burgers that almost perfectly fill the area of the bun with the square edges slightly falling off.

The excuse I get is the shrinking due to hold time. Also something about microwaving buns on junior Burgers to warm them up impacting bun size. This is odd as previously Wendy's didn't even have a microwave. Not sure when that changed. May have been to heat breakfast burritos which are already off the menu.

The nuggets also get smaller the longer they're held.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

cjd wrote: September 29th, 2023, 5:46 pm Wendy’s does seem to be scaling down the item size in the $5 bag and 4 for $4. The sandwiches and nuggets (I wish they’d drop the “nuggs” baby talk slang crap they’ve adopted) are smaller. Since the pricing hasn’t increased, I guess I can’t complain.
Here they are a $6 and $7 option now. :oops: