Glendora Ralphs closing November 21

California. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Glendora Ralphs closing November 21

Post by storewanderer »

When do these closures stop...?

This closure is a former Smiths in a late 1990's Ralphs interior. It was looking a little beat up when I was there last year and had a lot of very poorly merchandised space over in the drug areas. No self checkout and as I recall though it seemed to be a fine neighborhood it closed up pretty early. More like a Save Mart in those areas than a Kroger operation. I found the condition of the store's merchandising ironic since Ralphs Merchandising VP is a Smiths person.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Glendora Ralphs closing November 21

Post by arizonaguy »

I'm shocked that Ralph's (Kroger) cannot make these stores in slightly lower middle class areas work. Kroger's other divisions have dozens of stores in areas of similar demographics that seem to preform perfectly well. Kroger's Fry's division has a number of recently renovated, high volume stores in working class areas of Phoenix. In fact, Fry's is typically the only "standard" grocer in these types of areas (as Albertsons, Bashas', and Safeway done the same as Ralphs in California and have retreated from working class areas). Bashas' only operates stores in these areas under it's Hispanic focused Food City banner.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Ralphs and QFC banners can't seem to make these types of locations work.

I expect Harris Teeter has/had/will have similar issues, unless they have already filtered out that type of location.

Lower middle class customer is what Smiths caters to best.
klkla

Post by klkla »

They probably 'could' make it work but it's just not worth the investment. They're at a point where they would need to do a remodel to get any kind of sales momentum going and the necessary return on investment must not be there. Smith's was building these stores around 1995 it should be around 20 years now and the lease is probably coming to an end soon.
KrogerTexas
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by KrogerTexas »

Kroger has lots of experience in running different stores in different locales so I don't think that is really the reason behind the closing. I would have to agree with the thinking that leases are coming to and end and the renewal is substantially higher. Volume might not be worth the investment of a remodel as well. If the store has only a couple of years left on the lease and the monthly loses exceed the lease payment, it would only make sense to close the store. If there is a few years left on the lease and the store barely breaks even or makes a little bit of money but is need of a remodel and there is no intention of renewing the lease why not close it now rather than let a worn out store struggle the last few years.

It could be also that the warehouse is running at full capacity and sales are suffering in other stores, so if you close a few that are not doing all that well it allows the warehouse to better serve stores that are doing well.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

KrogerTexas wrote:Kroger has lots of experience in running different stores in different locales so I don't think that is really the reason behind the closing. I would have to agree with the thinking that leases are coming to and end and the renewal is substantially higher. Volume might not be worth the investment of a remodel as well. If the store has only a couple of years left on the lease and the monthly loses exceed the lease payment, it would only make sense to close the store. If there is a few years left on the lease and the store barely breaks even or makes a little bit of money but is need of a remodel and there is no intention of renewing the lease why not close it now rather than let a worn out store struggle the last few years.

It could be also that the warehouse is running at full capacity and sales are suffering in other stores, so if you close a few that are not doing all that well it allows the warehouse to better serve stores that are doing well.
Ralphs warehouse is only 5 years old. The stores do not have any substantial stocking issues. There really is no chain in SoCal that is better stocked than Ralphs http://www.tdu.org/news_warehouse-futur ... d-facility
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I would think that Ralphs warehouse is well under capacity with all of the closures they've done. Plus, the closure of the F4L Stores in Las Vegas which were supplied 100% from Ralphs facilities and dairy/quality large selection bread plant (unlike Smiths in Las Vegas who is supplied 100% from Frys facilities and dairy and gets its lousy quality limited assortment of private label bread DSD).

It would appear, in general, there is an excess capacity of grocery warehouse space in SoCal. We know Albertsons/Vons is over capacity. Stater is over capacity. Ralphs I assume is also over capacity...
J-Man
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by J-Man »

So in the past couple of years, they've closed (or will be closing) Ralphs in Arcadia (on Las Tunas-now a thrift store; the ones on Foothill and Huntington are still open), Duarte (empty), San Dimas (now Smart & Final Extra) and now Glendora. These are all in the foothill communities along the 210 freeway. I think Ralphs seems to have given up on eastern LA County. There's a huge amount of territory between Arcadia and its next closest store to the east -- Rancho Cucamonga or Ontario, I guess. At least Kroger has some presence in the area with Food4Less.
SoCalShopper1023
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by SoCalShopper1023 »

J-Man wrote:So in the past couple of years, they've closed (or will be closing) Ralphs in Arcadia (on Las Tunas-now a thrift store; the ones on Foothill and Huntington are still open), Duarte (empty), San Dimas (now Smart & Final Extra) and now Glendora. These are all in the foothill communities along the 210 freeway. I think Ralphs seems to have given up on eastern LA County. There's a huge amount of territory between Arcadia and its next closest store to the east -- Rancho Cucamonga or Ontario, I guess. At least Kroger has some presence in the area with Food4Less.
I've also noticed that Ralphs has closed a significant amount of of stores recently in the San Gabriel Valley (Alhambra, Arcadia, Duarte, and now Glendora) it seems like they're no longer interested in operating stores in the SGV. I also noticed that the Ralphs in Pasadena on W. Colorado Blvd. (a Fresh Fare) recently got a "remodel" but it didn't get updated to the newest, more modern version of the Fresh Fare decor that all the recent Fresh Fare remodels have been getting (La Canada, La Crescenta, Encino .etc) which includes new fixtures, new brighter colors, new triangular aisle markers, and re-polished checkstands / service desk area.

If I can make a prediction, I would say that the next SGV Ralphs to close will be store #630 in Altadena. Especially with the new Aldi opening soon down the street. That store has been needing a major facelift for many many years, and despite the numerous complaints and petitions that residents have been making, Kroger doesn't seem to do anything about it.
Jeff
Service Clerk
Service Clerk

Post by Jeff »

I'm surprised that both Ralph's in Monterey Park are open no thought they would close the former Hughes location but both stores are very busy.