H-E-B to enter DFW market proper with Plano, Frisco stores

Arizona, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas. No non-grocery posts.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: H-E-B to enter DFW market proper with Plano, Frisco stores

Post by wnetmacman »

architect wrote: June 8th, 2023, 10:58 am
wnetmacman wrote: June 8th, 2023, 7:09 am
storewanderer wrote: June 7th, 2023, 11:11 pm Interesting punch to throw at WinCo.

At least they are doing... something with those 2014 sites...
I don't see Joe V's as a threat. They are very minimal in terms of peripheral departments, like a huge Aldi. There are only nine of them around Houston; for as many mainline HEB stores as they have, that's a minimal number and a possible testament to the lack of popularity.

WinCo is more of a threat in Texas for Brookshire Grocery Company's Super 1 Foods chain, which is more along the same lines with departmental availability. BGC has closed all Super 1 stores in the metroplex, and did so before WinCO got in.
Actually, in McKinney, Super 1 Foods competed with Winco for at least a couple of years before BGC pulled the plug. With that being said, the Super 1 was an old Brookshires and was undersized compared to other area competition, so I question whether Winco was the sole factor here.
Many of their namesake Brookshire stores have been repurposed to Super 1 Foods in recent years, including one in Longview, two in Marshall, two in Natchitoches, LA and several in Arkansas (four in Pine Bluff, but one closed after). They have done that in several locations where it did not make sense to have both brands in smaller communities, and Super 1 drives far more traffic than Brookshire's does (not everyone needs someone to bag and carry out their groceries with a smile). That being said, McKinney was a fringe market for some time, though being an original Brookshire's store, it was in a high competition area, and BGC does well when there are fewer to fight with. The only other places where they face both Kroger and Albertsons are Shreveport and Alexandria, LA. They do better there than in D/FW; Alexandria has one Kroger, one Albertsons, and three Super 1 stores, including the original. WinCo does better there, as do Kroger, Albertsons, Fiesta, Walmart, and just about everyone else.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I've never been to a Joe V's.

So why do you think they are putting this format in DFW at all? What is the point of it, is it just to do something with otherwise idle real estate?

Maybe a test to see if the format gets traction in DFW? I don't expect it to. I shouldn't comment on a format I've never seen but just my feeling this format is going to be a dud in DFW.
biggins
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by biggins »

Confirmed locations and 2025 opening dates for new stores in Melissa, Prosper, and Rockwall. The Melissa store will be just 40 miles from the Oklahoma border, or about as far as it is from downtown Dallas. It appears H‑E‑B looking to capitalize on all the ongoing growth in northern Collin County. Wouldn’t be surprised to see an Anna and a Sherman area store announcement within the next 2-3 years.

https://dallas.culturemap.com/news/res ... r-rockwall
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

biggins wrote: September 19th, 2023, 5:37 pm Confirmed locations and 2025 opening dates for new stores in Melissa, Prosper, and Rockwall. The Melissa store will be just 40 miles from the Oklahoma border, or about as far as it is from downtown Dallas. It appears H‑E‑B looking to capitalize on all the ongoing growth in northern Collin County. Wouldn’t be surprised to see an Anna and a Sherman area store announcement within the next 2-3 years.

I wonder if their plan is basically 3 new HEB banner stores per year for the foreseeable future. Given how well they appear to be doing in Dallas to me, assuming that keeps up (and based on how the stores are, I expect it will), they may be able to get on a 4-5 store per year path. And with that I mean straight HEB Stores.

The Joe V's Smart Shops which I went to a couple of last month around Houston aren't really that big of a deal or nearly as complex of an operation as the HEBs are. Way fewer employees, departments, smaller space, etc. I think they are testing the water to see how much potential it has in Dallas. That store has some of the most incredible prices, if you can find what you want with their very odd limited product mix.
biggins
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by biggins »

storewanderer wrote: September 23rd, 2023, 12:24 am
biggins wrote: September 19th, 2023, 5:37 pm Confirmed locations and 2025 opening dates for new stores in Melissa, Prosper, and Rockwall. The Melissa store will be just 40 miles from the Oklahoma border, or about as far as it is from downtown Dallas. It appears H‑E‑B looking to capitalize on all the ongoing growth in northern Collin County. Wouldn’t be surprised to see an Anna and a Sherman area store announcement within the next 2-3 years.

I wonder if their plan is basically 3 new HEB banner stores per year for the foreseeable future. Given how well they appear to be doing in Dallas to me, assuming that keeps up (and based on how the stores are, I expect it will), they may be able to get on a 4-5 store per year path. And with that I mean straight HEB Stores.

The Joe V's Smart Shops which I went to a couple of last month around Houston aren't really that big of a deal or nearly as complex of an operation as the HEBs are. Way fewer employees, departments, smaller space, etc. I think they are testing the water to see how much potential it has in Dallas. That store has some of the most incredible prices, if you can find what you want with their very odd limited product mix.
I believe you’re right, they will keep up the expansion northward by 3-4 stores per year until they get a density of about one every 8-10 miles or so, and then infill from there. They know their base will drive past three Krogers to get to an H‑E‑B in the meantime. Infill within Dallas and Ft Worth proper is probably 3-5 years out. I hope H‑E‑B comes in with some of their two-story or urban formats that would work well in a mixed use development.
biggins
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by biggins »

H-E-B opened their Allen location this morning, October 4th, with crowds abound, as expected.

WFAA