Sears reopening Union Gap, WA and Burbank, CA

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
HCal
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Sears reopening Union Gap, WA and Burbank, CA

Post by HCal »

Super S wrote: October 3rd, 2023, 6:00 am
Not sure the Sears trademark is worth protecting at this point. The Sears name simply does not mean what it once did.
Just because it isn't as great as it used to be, doesn't mean it's worthless. I think the brand name would go for maybe $20-25 million or so. The Circuit City brand was sold after bankruptcy for about $14 million, and that was over a decade ago for what used to be a much smaller company. The Sears name still has a lot of brand equity for anyone over the age of 30-35, not to mention it is very well known in Mexico and therefore would probably do well in rapidly growing Hispanic communities in California and other states.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

HCal wrote: October 4th, 2023, 12:03 am
Not sure the Sears trademark is worth protecting at this point. The Sears name simply does not mean what it once did.
Just because it isn't as great as it used to be, doesn't mean it's worthless. I think the brand name would go for maybe $20-25 million or so. The Circuit City brand was sold after bankruptcy for about $14 million, and that was over a decade ago for what used to be a much smaller company. The Sears name still has a lot of brand equity for anyone over the age of 30-35, not to mention it is very well known in Mexico and therefore would probably do well in rapidly growing Hispanic communities in California and other states.
I've heard a rumor that the Mexico group is looking at a rebrand. I think that would be a mistake, given they have managed their Sears brand well there.

I am not sure if Mexico is paying royalties to US for use of the Sears brand.
norcalriteaidclerk
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by norcalriteaidclerk »

storewanderer wrote: October 4th, 2023, 12:41 am
HCal wrote: October 4th, 2023, 12:03 am
I've heard a rumor that the Mexico group is looking at a rebrand. I think that would be a mistake, given they have managed their Sears brand well there.

I am not sure if Mexico is paying royalties to US for use of the Sears brand.
At this point it may be more sensible for Grupo Carso(which owns Sears Mexico)to try to outright acquire the trademarks from zombie company that is Transformco.
For your life,Thrifty and Payless have got it.