Dickeys BBQ- Order from chain website- "transaction fee 49 cents"

storewanderer

Dickeys BBQ- Order from chain website- "transaction fee 49 cents"

Post by storewanderer »

I have NEVER seen this before. You go to this CHAIN'S website, their OWN website, and place an online order. They try to assess you a "TRANSACTION FEE" of 49 cents to place an online order. On THEIR OWN website.

I understand when there are fees involved for third party websites for online ordering, I know those platforms charge fees, etc. and don't use them for that reason.

But when the actual CHAIN website is trying this sort of thing too, that really seems bad.

I hope this doesn't become a trend.

Also I didn't go to Dickey's at all due to this. I just went to Panda Express instead. So Dickey's lost my business entirely due to this "TRANSACTION FEE" thing.

The price already was too high - 18.99 for a 1 meat plate (2 tiny sides and some bread roll something). Pretty sure I paid Panda 9.40 for twice as much food.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Dickeys BBQ- Order from chain website- "transaction fee 49 cents"

Post by wnetmacman »

This must be your local franchise. I ordered two weeks ago from my local store and it was not assessed.

If you do not like transaction fees, just order it in person and pay cash. That's the only true way to avoid them now, and most Dickey's don't get it fully ready until you show up anyway.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

storewanderer wrote: October 19th, 2023, 12:11 am I have NEVER seen this before. You go to this CHAIN'S website, their OWN website, and place an online order. They try to assess you a "TRANSACTION FEE" of 49 cents to place an online order. On THEIR OWN website.

I understand when there are fees involved for third party websites for online ordering, I know those platforms charge fees, etc. and don't use them for that reason.

But when the actual CHAIN website is trying this sort of thing too, that really seems bad.

I hope this doesn't become a trend.

Also I didn't go to Dickey's at all due to this. I just went to Panda Express instead. So Dickey's lost my business entirely due to this "TRANSACTION FEE" thing.

The price already was too high - 18.99 for a 1 meat plate (2 tiny sides and some bread roll something). Pretty sure I paid Panda 9.40 for twice as much food.
I think this will spread. Remember, more and more companies are trying hard to monetize every inch of their operation facing the customer.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

wnetmacman wrote: October 19th, 2023, 6:25 am This must be your local franchise. I ordered two weeks ago from my local store and it was not assessed.

If you do not like transaction fees, just order it in person and pay cash. That's the only true way to avoid them now, and most Dickey's don't get it fully ready until you show up anyway.
It appears there was some kind of resolution where Dickeys allows franchisees to add this fee if they want. Otherwise the location is billed a 49 cent transaction fee (plus card processing cost) for every online order.

In looking further there are other platforms that bill 35 cents per online order and franchisees are expected to eat that cost, not allowed to pass the fee on to customers (again this is in addition to credit card processing costs).

I never thought of these per transaction fees. I am going to be reconsidering some of my online orders going forward knowing this. This is awful if you online order $2 or $3.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: October 20th, 2023, 11:40 am
wnetmacman wrote: October 19th, 2023, 6:25 am This must be your local franchise. I ordered two weeks ago from my local store and it was not assessed.

It appears there was some kind of resolution where Dickeys allows franchisees to add this fee if they want. Otherwise the location is billed a 49 cent transaction fee (plus card processing cost) for every online order.

In looking further there are other platforms that bill 35 cents per online order and franchisees are expected to eat that cost, not allowed to pass the fee on to customers (again this is in addition to credit card processing costs).

I never thought of these per transaction fees. I am going to be reconsidering some of my online orders going forward knowing this. This is awful if you online order $2 or $3.
They don't want your $2 or $3 order because of the processing fees, but the credit card companies technically don't allow a minimum charge policy. That's why they're passing along these fees, which isn't the right answer either.

Here's a better question... News headlines indicate that inflation is slowing. Is it really slowing, or are the businesses just adding more surcharges and fees to offset changing actual item prices?