Peet's now World's Largest Coffee Company

ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Peet's now World's Largest Coffee Company

Post by ClownLoach »

For some reason I thought this already was posted here, but I can't find it in the search so I thought I'd share.

With all the merging around JAB corporation and JDE, they have shoved all their coffee brands into a single operating unit, JDE Peet's, which is now the largest coffee company in the world. As in bigger than Starbucks. Peets and Starbucks share a common history as well for those who are unaware. Interesting article.

https://sfstandard.com/2023/04/07/peets ... r-approve/
bryceleinan
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Re: Peet's now World's Largest Coffee Company

Post by bryceleinan »

ClownLoach wrote: October 20th, 2023, 4:22 pm For some reason I thought this already was posted here, but I can't find it in the search so I thought I'd share.

With all the merging around JAB corporation and JDE, they have shoved all their coffee brands into a single operating unit, JDE Peet's, which is now the largest coffee company in the world. As in bigger than Starbucks. Peets and Starbucks share a common history as well for those who are unaware. Interesting article.

Don't they indirectly have a relationship with Keurig Green Mountain / Keurig Dr Pepper too? Along with the Panera Brands group (Caribou / Panera / Einstein)? It's hard to figure out what all JAB owns.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Peet's has focused on coffee. Starbucks has started selling all sorts of bizarre and complicated drinks that take a long time to customize. There are all sorts of pink drinks with sprinkles and colors. This really slows down the line and complicates drink making. Those Instagram drinks that people order and take photos really wastes a lot of labor hours.

Peet's is streamlined and much more efficient. You don't have teenagers, GenZ, or Millenials hogging up the wifi and taking selfies at Peet's.

There is something about Peet's that just seems more calm and soothing. They are a cafe for coffee drinkers, not a hangout for people to take photos and use the internet.

In the long run, Peet's may be more stable, while Starbucks gets dragged in all sorts of directions selling all sorts of junk and appealing to social media users.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

Alpha8472 wrote: October 21st, 2023, 2:05 pm Peet's has focused on coffee. Starbucks has started selling all sorts of bizarre and complicated drinks that take a long time to customize. There are all sorts of pink drinks with sprinkles and colors. This really slows down the line and complicates drink making. Those Instagram drinks that people order and take photos really wastes a lot of labor hours.

Peet's is streamlined and much more efficient. You don't have teenagers, GenZ, or Millenials hogging up the wifi and taking selfies at Peet's.

There is something about Peet's that just seems more calm and soothing. They are a cafe for coffee drinkers, not a hangout for people to take photos and use the internet.

In the long run, Peet's may be more stable, while Starbucks gets dragged in all sorts of directions selling all sorts of junk and appealing to social media users.
Peet's has closed a lot of their locations in Portland. They used to be at a lot of Fred Meyer stores as well. According to clerks I've talked to, Starbucks pulls in a lot more business than Peet's does.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Peet's is the corporate name of this umbrella that holds a couple dozen other coffee and tea brands.

The brand and concept "Peet's" is a niche format and brand at best and that is being generous. This brand has not been able to expand successfully outside northern California. I think the brand could have expanded but they failed to properly market their product and format. They did stupid things like convert Caribou units to Peet's yet the two are completely different products.

I am curious if they include K-Cup sales to come up with being the world's largest coffee company.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

bryceleinan wrote: October 21st, 2023, 9:49 am
ClownLoach wrote: October 20th, 2023, 4:22 pm For some reason I thought this already was posted here, but I can't find it in the search so I thought I'd share.

Don't they indirectly have a relationship with Keurig Green Mountain / Keurig Dr Pepper too? Along with the Panera Brands group (Caribou / Panera / Einstein)? It's hard to figure out what all JAB owns.
JAB owns JDE Peet's. It's actually hard to find out what they DON'T own. Look at both websites, JAB and JDE. It's crazy how many chains they own. It is interesting that they chose to highlight the Peet's name in the new corporate wordmark.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

ClownLoach wrote: October 22nd, 2023, 12:20 am
bryceleinan wrote: October 21st, 2023, 9:49 am

JAB owns JDE Peet's. It's actually hard to find out what they DON'T own. Look at both websites, JAB and JDE. It's crazy how many chains they own. It is interesting that they chose to highlight the Peet's name in the new corporate wordmark.
They probably think Peet's is the only brand they own that has a strong enough reputation to place as the corporate name.

I also think Peet's commands the highest retail pricing of any of their brands.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

JDE Peet's is the largest coffee company, but only because of all of the different brands that it owns all over the world. The Peet's cafes are only a small portion of this huge company. JDE includes supermarket brands sold all over the world and other cafe brands in other countries. Starbucks may be busier via its cafes in the US, but Starbucks doesn't have such a huge portfolio worldwide including supermarket brands.