7-Eleven "Raise the Roost" Fried Chicken (US)

Gas stations & convenience stores (AM/PM, 7-Eleven, etc.)
storewanderer

7-Eleven "Raise the Roost" Fried Chicken (US)

Post by storewanderer »

So 7-Eleven has a fried chicken concept in the US called Raise the Roost. There is one of these in Rancho Cordova, CA far down Sunrise Blvd. (around 4000) south of HIghway 50 at a newly built 7-Eleven with a car wash (never seen this before).

There is a website for this concept which for some reason does not list this Rancho Cordova location.

Anyway the format is you order at a counter with an employee (no kiosks) and then they give you a ticket that you give to the 7-Eleven cashier to pay. To this point this is identical to the process at Laredo Taco Stripes in TX so maybe this is where they got this idea.

The menu has fried chicken, sandwiches, tenders, wings, biscuits, and basic side items. The prices are ridiculously high like over $11 for a 2pc Tenders Meal. There is one employee assigned to this area who looks very bored.

Other than that despite being less than a year old and a very nice facility this 7-Eleven has an assortment of problems. Multiple broken Slurpee flavors, multiple broken gas pumps. Also access into the site is quite poor and I don't like the way the gas pumps are hidden from the main road by the building (feels like a potential design safety issue- but in this area that shouldn't be an issue).
Alpha8472

Re: 7-Eleven "Raise the Roost" Fried Chicken (US)

Post by Alpha8472 »

7-Eleven running a fast food place is bound to be quite an experience. The pricing is way too high. I assume sales are low. People would go to KFC before eating at 7-Eleven.

Krispy Krunchy Chicken which is found at many gas stations seems to have a good product and is affordable. 7-Eleven cannot compete with them.

I have seen 7-Eleven building new stores just blocks from older existing stores in the San Francisco Bay Area. These are busy roads, but to have them so close together is going to cannibalize sales.

The older store will probably lose tons of business and will probably have to close sooner or later.

7-Eleven seems to like 76 gas for some reason. The new combination 7-Eleven and gas station is almost complete. I don't think it will have a fast food places inside. However, there is room.

There is a 7-Eleven, Car Wash, Shell, and Burger King combo store in San Leandro, California. The car wash and drive thru lanes are next to each other. Until recently Burger King and 7-Eleven had no separation and the merchandise ran down the hall to Burger King's restrooms.
storewanderer

Re: 7-Eleven "Raise the Roost" Fried Chicken (US)

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: October 22nd, 2023, 9:58 pm 7-Eleven running a fast food place is bound to be quite an experience. The pricing is way too high. I assume sales are low. People would go to KFC before eating at 7-Eleven.

Krispy Krunchy Chicken which is found at many gas stations seems to have a good product and is affordable. 7-Eleven cannot compete with them.

I have seen 7-Eleven building new stores just blocks from older existing stores in the San Francisco Bay Area. These are busy roads, but to have them so close together is going to cannibalize sales.

The older store will probably lose tons of business and will probably have to close sooner or later.

7-Eleven seems to like 76 gas for some reason.
7-Eleven's fuel unit seems to have gotten involved with 76 in NorCal. It started when they bought a handfull of units from PC&F which were 76/Circle K units 14 years ago and those kept 76 branding. Then they put 76 branding onto many of the Valero Corner Store units they bought in CA. Then in 2020 they bought Sierra Energy out in mostly areas and many of those sites already had 76 branding which they kept if the site had it (none are 7-Eleven branded yet though the gas pumps in Portola say 7-Eleven). 7-Eleven's fuel unit in Colorado is also heavily involved with Conoco and has that branding on many sites in Colorado.

Yet this new site in Rancho Cordova I describe, sells unbranded fuel. Not 76 fuel. So it is unclear what exactly their tie up with 76 is. They may be using 76 incentives in exchange for 10 year branding agreements to rehabilitate some of these old stations they buy.

7-Eleven in Canada has a fried chicken program quite similar to Krispy Krunchy, dispensed by the cashier and cheaply priced. Can't speak for quality but it looked okay.

I would have done Laredo Taco instead of Raise the Roost but Laredo Taco is so cheap, only open short hours; it needs high volume to make any sense. In Rancho Cordova it wouldn't have gotten enough volume.