Rite Aid closing at least 63 stores

submariner
Founder of RetailWatchers.com
Founder of RetailWatchers.com

Re: Rite Aid closing at least 63 stores

Post by submariner »

ClownLoach wrote: October 25th, 2023, 1:37 am
storewanderer wrote: October 25th, 2023, 1:05 am ...
3 5525 4525 E. PACIFIC COAST HIGHWAY LONG BEACH CA 90804
That is the newest and nicest Rite Aid in Long Beach, in a fabulous location from a traffic perspective. It was the consolidation of two other stores nearby. I'm absolutely shocked it is closing as it was a ground up Wellness 2.0 build and always busy.
Similar to Anaheim (Opened around April 2018, and was set up to close before this announcement), where they tore down an old strip mall and built a brand new store on the corner of Magnolia & LaPalma (but they kept the fantastic vintage street front sign). The store was also a Wellness 2.0 from the ground up, and replaced an old Thrifty store on LaPalma & Dale that paired with a Lucky/Albertsons (the two stores were later remodelled into a short-lived OSH).
Screenshot 2023-10-26 at 8.55.45 am.png
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

submariner wrote: October 26th, 2023, 9:00 am
ClownLoach wrote: October 25th, 2023, 1:37 am
storewanderer wrote: October 25th, 2023, 1:05 am ...
That is the newest and nicest Rite Aid in Long Beach, in a fabulous location from a traffic perspective. It was the consolidation of two other stores nearby. I'm absolutely shocked it is closing as it was a ground up Wellness 2.0 build and always busy.
Similar to Anaheim (Opened around April 2018, and was set up to close before this announcement), where they tore down an old strip mall and built a brand new store on the corner of Magnolia & LaPalma (but they kept the fantastic vintage street front sign). The store was also a Wellness 2.0 from the ground up, and replaced an old Thrifty store on LaPalma & Dale that paired with a Lucky/Albertsons (the two stores were later remodelled into a short-lived OSH).

Screenshot 2023-10-26 at 8.55.45 am.png
I didn't realize that Anaheim/Buena Park area store was the one that closed but that is also a tough loss. Hopefully the restored retro sign is kept.
Romr123
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Romr123 »

Here's one that's staying open that has quite interesting signage...the marquee was from the old theatre--the RA is kind of wrapped around the auditorium.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.5031651 ... ?entry=ttu
norcalriteaidclerk
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by norcalriteaidclerk »

Not the tone I would have preferred to set with my 500th post,but...
► Show Spoiler
For your life,Thrifty and Payless have got it.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

submariner wrote: October 26th, 2023, 9:00 am

Cannot believe that new Anaheim Store closed too.

Way too many newer stores are being closed...
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

norcalriteaidclerk wrote: October 26th, 2023, 2:22 pm Not the tone I would have preferred to set with my 500th post,but...
I do wonder how many of these stores have been killed by operational issues that have driven customers away. The stores with pharmacy that was 9-5 M-F in 2021 and into 2022 in some cases (still one of these in Susanville... that has an above average and fully staffed front end though with a long term manager) I am shocked they've been able to stay open. Gardnerville Store which has never been very busy even as Payless has noticeably less traffic since 2020 when the operating hours cuts started and products were cut; South Lake Tahoe has been a total mismanaged loss and despite recent recovery efforts that could be successful by a very hard working store manager who was a previous district manager relocated into the store very recently and isn't afraid to ask for additional resources, the vaccine locator there after 11/15 calls for concern; Truckee has far less traffic but seems to be recovering; Kings Beach seems the same as before, it reduced hours of operation but the store never seemed to suffer and it is so small the merchandise cuts haven't impacted it.

It is my suspicion there are many locations that were surviving but thanks to missteps in 2021-2022 a loss in traffic of 10-15% due to shorter/unpredictable hours etc. has been enough to kick many stores into negative earnings.

I am concerned they do not seem to be trying to do anything to grow traffic either at the present time. The stores are too understocked to do anything major to draw more traffic in. Tough spot. They are going to have to do some things to grow traffic and sales as they look toward emerging from bankruptcy.
norcalriteaidclerk
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

storewanderer wrote: October 25th, 2023, 1:05 am Additional closures per Pacer filing done 10/24, Docket Number 236

Interesting thing about these is they still have vaccine appointments ongoing you can schedule in December etc. no cut off for the vaccine scheduling... (not sure the 6934 store since that is a Bartell, not sure where to search for their vaccine appointments).

No. Store No. Property Address City State Zip Code
1 5232 303 91ST AVENUE, NE STE D401 LAKE STEVENS WA 98258
2 2604 6101 NORTH BROAD STREET PHILADELPHIA PA 19141
4 6934 12946 SE KENT KANGLEY RD KENT WA 98030
5 11008 353 EAST 6TH STREET ERIE PA 16507
It doesn't look like this will be the last addendum to the closures list if the vaccine scheduler is any indication:

In addition to SLT coming to a halt on the 15th,there are no vaccine appointments available at San Ramon after veteran's day; while in the City of Angels,the Lincoln Heights legacy Thrifty that has been in business since the 1940's(111 East Avenue 26)has blacked out all vaccine appointments after the 13th.No blackout date listed for Long Beach Traffic circle which was also reported on Twitter.

While 5409 Sunrise is behind most other stores on the list of 154 closures,we won't quite be the last California list to finish up: Oxnard(another vintage early 1960's Thrifty bites the dust)ends vaccine appointments on the 1st(the day after my store does)while three others finish up the following week(La puente which opened as Thrifty around the same time 5712 Folsom did has its last vaccine appointments on the 6th, Santa Cruz on the 7th,and Yorba Linda which actually was a former Payless on the 8th).It does seem that closing stores end vaccine appointments the day preceding the last day of business though the 1960-vintage Santa Clara Thrifty has long had no appointments available (won't know when it closes until it drops off the store locator).I must also note that Santa Cruz underwent a low budget Wellness 2.0 'repaint' while retaining its original Thrifty footprint(aisle/checkout layout, terrazzo floor, small pharmacy,and front corner open-air office).I suspect it had never been remodeled out of the 'rediscover Thrifty' decor up until that point.

Also, rumors have started swirling about the Bishop CA location(vaccine appointments stop on the same date as San Ramon).

https://www.easternsierranow.com/report ... d-closing/
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Rite Aid despite some stores possibly closing is still trying to get people to get flu shots. They have signs offering a free scoop of Thrifty Ice Cream with every flu shot at my local store. The dvds are 50% off now. I still think that they are overpriced and old. The beer coolers seem to be almost empty now. Maybe Rite Aid is not getting beer replenished. The wine aisles still seem full.

Some of the Halloween decorations at Rite Aid seem unique to Rite Aid. They have a selection that you cannot find at other stores. There are quite a few animatronic Halloween items.
norcalriteaidclerk
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

The vaccine scheduler at Long Beach Traffic circle stops on the 18th.

Additionally,the city of Anaheim,which had three locations as recently as three months ago, will soon have zero.The vaccine scheduler for the Anaheim Hills location(5560 Santa Ana Canyon)ends on the 15th(same date as SLT);and it's far from the only sizable socal city to have suffered this fate this year: San Bernardino lost both of its locations within a few weeks of one another just last month,and the cities of Corona(four locations as recently as two decades ago)and Escondido(had two locations as recently as five years ago,a third was gone within five years of RAD integrating the acquired Thrifty Payless locations)also have zero remaining despite once having multiple locations.It happened to Buena Park, Concord, Hayward l,and Rialto last year;and it's just days away from happening to Citrus Heights,Oxnard,and Santa Clara.
mburb1981
Produce Clerk
Produce Clerk

Post by mburb1981 »

norcalriteaidclerk wrote: October 30th, 2023, 11:40 am Additionally,the city of Anaheim,which had three locations as recently as three months ago, will soon have zero.The vaccine scheduler for the Anaheim Hills location(5560 Santa Ana Canyon)ends on the 15th(same date as SLT);and it's far from the only sizable socal city to have suffered this fate this year: San Bernardino lost both of its locations within a few weeks of one another just last month,and the cities of Corona(four locations as recently as two decades ago)and Escondido(had two locations as recently as five years ago,a third was gone within five years of RAD integrating the acquired Thrifty Payless locations)also have zero remaining despite once having multiple locations.It happened to Buena Park, Concord, Hayward l,and Rialto last year;and it's just days away from happening to Citrus Heights,Oxnard,and Santa Clara.
This phenomenon is also being shown in sizable southeast Michigan cities and townships. Taylor, which had four locations as recently as two decades ago and two as recently as five years ago, will soon have zero. Clinton Township, which had three locations as recently as five years ago, will soon have zero. Shelby Township, which had three locations as recently as two decades ago, will soon have zero.