*** TESTERS NEEDED! ***

The one-stop shop for all forum announcements!

Which style do you find to be the best candidate for the new default?

Damaïo
50%
ProFlat
25%
ScaffoldBB
25%

Total votes: 8

submariner
Founder of RetailWatchers.com

*** TESTERS NEEDED! ***

Post by submariner »

I've recently reviewed a few style and extension updates that will allow for a better user experience. My goal is to select a new default theme (the most recent one I added was incredibly buggy). The old "Flat Style" styles will continue to be available as an option in the future, and the winner of the poll will become the new default. If any of these new styles show significant bugs during testing, They may be disabled in the future.

I've reset back to the last style ("Flat Style Blue") we've used for a few years now. I've enabled color variations for that style as well. I have also installed three all-new styles I would like to have users test. Try a new theme for a few days, a week or so, then try another one... See which one you like and report back any bugs. I've included a poll.

I have also updated the rank banners and structures. There's more ranks, meaning more milestones to achieve.

Another new feature is @mentions ... you can now tag a member by just adding "@" in front of their username! @submariner

First, to change the style, go to the user menu in the upper-right and select "User Control Panel". From there, click the "Board preferences" tab and select an option from the "My board style" drop-down. "Flat Style Blue" is the primary style in use.
Screenshot 2023-09-26 at 9.54.06 pm.png
Screenshot 2023-09-26 at 9.54.20 pm.png
Here's the new styles to test and a summary of features:

Damaïo
This is a promising candidate with a lot of interesting features.
  • Dark mode (!) that switches automatically based on your device settings. There is also a manual toggle next to the "Colour swatch" menu item. Look for the light bulb or crescent moon icons.
  • Accent color options (look for the "Colour swatch" menu item at the top of the page).
ProFlat
This one is a little less featured, with a standard light theme. It claims to have an array of customisable colors, but I'm working on figuring out how to enable them.

ScaffoldBB
The final style is a very simplified theme with bright, bold colors.

Below I will keep an issue tracker:
  • Damaïo - There is a large gap in the post editor between the toolbar and main text field. This is related to the base style "prosilver", which is the default phpBB style, and the basis for almost every style created. It is not limited to this specific style.
  • ProFlat - There is a large gap in the post editor between the toolbar and main text field. This is related to the base style "prosilver", which is the default phpBB style, and the basis for almost every style created. It is not limited to this specific style.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: *** TESTERS NEEDED! ***

Post by SamSpade »

So far enjoying Damaïo. I will swap to one of the others to play around. Definitely less buggy than what was here. I was also able to modify the colour swatch which was nice.
submariner

Post by submariner »

I've also replaced the badly outdated phpBB smilies with fresh new icons 8-)
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

Although I prefer the way damaio is organized, for some reason scaffold is easier to read. Not sure why, though. Maybe because scaffold has more white space? Not a fan of the colors scaffold uses, though.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

Not sure if it is considered a bug, but in the Damaïo theme, your personalized colour swatch will not carry over to another computer/browser.

So far after taking a short vacation from the board (and day to day), I came back to Scaffold turned on and I didn't care for it at all. It is very traditional message board/Proboards-esque, though.
submariner

Post by submariner »

SamSpade wrote: October 2nd, 2023, 10:46 am Not sure if it is considered a bug, but in the Damaïo theme, your personalized colour swatch will not carry over to another computer/browser.
I did a quick test, and the color schemes are linked to your browser cookies. Clearing site data in your browser will also reset the colors.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

I really like ScaffoldBB. It's clear and large print.
submariner

Post by submariner »

Ok, It looks like Damaïo will be the new default. The other options will remain available for selection.