Associated continues phasing out "Fresh Market" brand

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Associated continues phasing out "Fresh Market" brand

Post by SamSpade »

It appears that after successfully being able to open some (but not all) Macey's stores on Sundays, the company has decided this will be their primary brand going forward.

Recent renovations (much needed based on online photos) were the former Safeway > Albertsons > Fresh Market at the corner where 2100 S officially becomes Parley's Way (and further up the hill a Walmart discount store Supercenter lives in a former KMart).

"Jeremy Ranch" area of Park City/Summit County (beautifully built by Albertsons about 20 years ago)

Another that is beginning (its only highlight online was mention of well prepared in-store barbeque items) is at 1700 S and 900 E. The largest complaint online about this store was that it is somewhat small, but most seemed to accept that it is a "neighborhood store." This is apparently another former Safeway > Albertsons > Fresh Market.

I was sparked to think about this in the discussion thread about when Albertsons (under Supervalu) sold their store fleet to Associated along the Wasatch Front and the non-compete that eventually disappeared. WinCo Foods also entered the market under this window of time.
storewanderer

Re: Associated continues phasing out "Fresh Market" brand

Post by storewanderer »

I think Macey's is the banner for them around Salt Lake City and somewhere outside that metro area, the geography line falls somewhere randomly and the preferred banner becomes Lin's.

I hope the BBQ is better than what I had from Lin's in St. George because that was just awful fatty gross BBQ. Maybe it is someone's style but sure wasn't to my liking. It smelled really good, it seemed promising, but it wasn't.

I always perceived Macey's as a quasi-discount store so I am not sure if they are changing the format a little or what. The Macey's I perceive seems like the wrong fit for Jeremy Ranch. But they probably don't want to expand Dan's or Dick's anymore. Either may be a better fit. Dan's was losing a lot of money in Park City though (store they spun to a former Albertsons manager who is running it as Market at Park City), maybe they don't want to put Dan's anywhere near Park City.