ALDI to acquire Winn-Dixie

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee. No non-grocery posts.
jipper
Front-End Bagger
Front-End Bagger

Re: ALDI to acquire Winn-Dixie

Post by jipper »

Aren't they separating Fresco? Maybe Fresco is transitioning to a different supplier/warehouse and they had leftover supplies?

You are absolutely correct, Storewanderer; thanks for the heads up.

Fresco y mas will become its own chain, Fresco Retail Group, LLC. These stores are mainly located in the Miami/Dade area. FyM will continue to run their pharmacies, according to the Southeastern Grocers press release.

So I guess W/D paid for the bags so they are using them up.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

Fresco has no chance with Sedanos, Vallartas and Navarros, just to name the bigger ones in S. Florida.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: October 22nd, 2023, 9:20 am Fresco has no chance with Sedanos, Vallartas and Navarros, just to name the bigger ones in S. Florida.
Any idea who is funding Fresco? It is said to be some "investment group."

The Fresco Stores in Google Photos look surprisingly better than I expected them to look. Recent photos look noticeably better than 5-6 years ago photos also; it appears they have done additional renovations to some of the stores and the perimeters look more full than 5-6 years ago. They appear to be busy and relatively well reviewed also (not perfect but not terrible by any means).

What I wonder is being cut off logistically from Winn Dixie how will it work for Fresco? Do they start using a wholesaler? It will be difficult for 30 stores to self distribute and remain competitive. And using a wholesaler after having the luxury of self distributing from a larger chain (even if that larger chain has a lot of problems- it seems like they were able to provide good support for this Fresco operation) obviously has a lot of issues.

Personally I hope this Fresco group can figure out how to keep the stores viable and continue to grow their chain. Any growth they have, provides additional competition to Publix and Wal Mart in FL, which is desperately needed at all levels. Aldi DBA Winn Dixie is going to throw so much additional share over to Publix and Wal Mart. Whoever wanted to shop at Aldi in FL is already shopping there.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

No idea who is funding the New Fresco.

They will have to severely price undercut the established hispanic grocers and druggists in their areas.

I do not think they have the scale to do that, sustainably (however "prettier" they may be).
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: October 22nd, 2023, 3:16 pm No idea who is funding the New Fresco.

They will have to severely price undercut the established hispanic grocers and druggists in their areas.

I do not think they have the scale to do that, sustainably (however "prettier" they may be).
Only 4 of the stores have pharmacy, I don't see how it makes sense to only run 4 pharmacies, but there are independent grocers who run 1 pharmacy in some states, so it can work.

Do the other chains you mentioned self distribute or do they use a wholesaler? I wonder if one of the east coast co-op type groups like Key Foods, etc. would potentially supply Fresco.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

I think Sedano's self distributes.

Not sure about the others.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: October 23rd, 2023, 8:43 am I think Sedano's self distributes.

Not sure about the others.
I recall they had some private label items. What I can't recall is if it was storewide or they were using Food Club or something in some categories. I am pretty sure it wasn't storewide.

I'll be very curious to see what private label ends up at Fresco. I am also shocked at the positive reviews online of Fresco. I am somewhat proud to see that Winn Dixie actually appeared to be able to build something good up with this Fresco chain. Given their so many missteps, this does not appear to be one of them... and it had the usual formula for failure when it started. Take failing conventional stores, strip them down to a lower service/lower mix format, make it even worse... end up closing anyway... but that isn't what happened here. It appears they actually increased business and put out stores with better fresh departments due to the traffic increase.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

I saw a post on Facebook where Winn Dixie was displaying frozen pies out at room temperature! Seriously? And apparently not in just one store either.

This kind of stuff just makes me wonder how WD can have operators that are so utterly clueless. And yet this stuff has gone on for decades in their stores and somehow still does in 2023.

They look pretty good here lately… perimeters look very good, the remodel looks quite good, customer service and checkout have greatly improved.

But yet I always see stuff wrong… on one trip I saw one of the milk case doors just left open.

And the floors always have one or two spots that are dirty. Granted it was late in the day but this is the kind of stuff you just don’t typically see at Publix. There always just seem to be maintenance issues unaddressed. It’s like they have nobody that can take an objective look at their stores and say “ok this looks bad” or “this needs to be addressed better or more often.”

It’s like they can never get the whole experience just right. I guess there’s an art to this and I can’t expect to see Publix in a Winn Dixie. It’s not that I love Publix, it’s just that I don’t tend to find faults in their stores.

Maybe I’m more lenient with Walmart because they’re a discount retailer, but when I see things in their stores I just tend to forget it.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

cjd wrote: November 20th, 2023, 5:11 pm I saw a post on Facebook where Winn Dixie was displaying frozen pies out at room temperature! Seriously? And apparently not in just one store either.

This kind of stuff just makes me wonder how WD can have operators that are so utterly clueless. And yet this stuff has gone on for decades in their stores and somehow still does in 2023.

They look pretty good here lately… perimeters look very good, the remodel looks quite good, customer service and checkout have greatly improved.

But yet I always see stuff wrong… on one trip I saw one of the milk case doors just left open.

And the floors always have one or two spots that are dirty. Granted it was late in the day but this is the kind of stuff you just don’t typically see at Publix. There always just seem to be maintenance issues unaddressed. It’s like they have nobody that can take an objective look at their stores and say “ok this looks bad” or “this needs to be addressed better or more often.”

It’s like they can never get the whole experience just right. I guess there’s an art to this and I can’t expect to see Publix in a Winn Dixie. It’s not that I love Publix, it’s just that I don’t tend to find faults in their stores.

Maybe I’m more lenient with Walmart because they’re a discount retailer, but when I see things in their stores I just tend to forget it.
Were they like trying to sell frozen cream pies (thaw and serve) as ready to eat? Or were they taking frozen pies and baking them in the bakery?

Hard to believe someone in the store didn't understand the food safety rules that I assume prohibit all of the above.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

storewanderer wrote: November 20th, 2023, 8:48 pm
cjd wrote: November 20th, 2023, 5:11 pm I saw a post on Facebook where Winn Dixie was displaying frozen pies out at room temperature! Seriously? And apparently not in just one store either.
Were they like trying to sell frozen cream pies (thaw and serve) as ready to eat? Or were they taking frozen pies and baking them in the bakery?

Hard to believe someone in the store didn't understand the food safety rules that I assume prohibit all of the above.
Apparently this is acceptable under Florida (and/or one of other W-D states) health codes (sigh) and Edwards pies send displays to stores, even. Basically they can be at room temperature for up to 28 days for the PECAN pie only. I still don't like it. Display the plastic boxed frozen and thaw "bakery baked" (right...) pies instead.