Chewy Is Opening Up Vet Care Clinics

Alpha8472

Chewy Is Opening Up Vet Care Clinics

Post by Alpha8472 »

Online retailer Chewy is opening up Vet Care clinics in 2024. A former online retailer is opening up brick and mortar locations.

I am surprised Amazon hasn't done this yet. Those Vet clinics are always busy.

https://chainstoreage.com/chewy-launch- ... ghout-2024
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Chewy Is Opening Up Vet Care Clinics

Post by babs »

Alpha8472 wrote: December 17th, 2023, 12:09 pm Online retailer Chewy is opening up Vet Care clinics in 2024. A former online retailer is opening up brick and mortar locations.

With Amazon's history in bricks and mortar, they should stay far, far away.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Chewy Is Opening Up Vet Care Clinics

Post by ClownLoach »

Alpha8472 wrote: December 17th, 2023, 12:09 pm Online retailer Chewy is opening up Vet Care clinics in 2024. A former online retailer is opening up brick and mortar locations.

It's odd since PetSmart, their former owner, has struggled so much with veterinary care. They seem to be doing better with their standalone offerings than their Banfield partner (or former partner depending on the store). I wonder how much information they got from the PetSmart ownership?

Meanwhile VCA has started working to open locations as big as a (smaller) PetSmart. They took over a full size Staples in Fountain Valley, CA. Yes, a 20,000+ Sq ft vet, animal hospital, etc.

And a chain of pet hotels called Smart Parke is opening locations in former Office stores as well. One started in a former large OfficeMax in Laguna Woods and I thought it would flop hard. Apparently they're opening more because it was such a hit.

I think Amazon is going to stop throwing away money on retail since they obviously have zero Whole Foods in the pipeline, a mess with Fresh that needs to be addressed since nearly a billion dollars are up in the air and shareholders are pissed, and they just threw away countless millions on the aborted Fashion chain after less than a year. They clearly have to have recognized at this point it's way, way, way cheaper to play with their toys in a lab if they want to do R&D. When it was a small format and relatively small operation one could see justification but when they let it snowball out of control to the point where they had to impound nearly a billion dollars AND take out A OPERATING LOAN due to cash flow issues it became something that has to be profitable or exited.