Lloyd Center running TV commercial

Super S

Lloyd Center running TV commercial

Post by Super S »

I have been seeing a commercial for Lloyd Center on Portland TV over the last few days. They are highlighting the ice rink in the commercial, which clearly shows Macy's in the background, which closed two years ago. It almost seems like a last ditch desperate attempt to get people back into the mall, and the future of the mall, which at this time has no major anchor stores with the exception of Ross, is very uncertain right now.

I will admit that the last time I visited was before Macy's closed. I understand that there are local shops keeping it afloat for now, but it's not enough to sustain the mall long-term. It's going to take a lot more than a TV commercial to get people back.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Lloyd Center running TV commercial

Post by babs »

Super S wrote: December 18th, 2023, 8:26 pm I have been seeing a commercial for Lloyd Center on Portland TV over the last few days. They are highlighting the ice rink in the commercial, which clearly shows Macy's in the background, which closed two years ago. It almost seems like a last ditch desperate attempt to get people back into the mall, and the future of the mall, which at this time has no major anchor stores with the exception of Ross, is very uncertain right now.

I will admit that the last time I visited was before Macy's closed. I understand that there are local shops keeping it afloat for now, but it's not enough to sustain the mall long-term. It's going to take a lot more than a TV commercial to get people back.
The owners of the mall have announced a redevelopment plan by restoring much of the street grid and adding housing, parks, and commercial space. They just submitted a formal plan to the city.

Having said that, I was there a few weeks ago. I was surprised by the number of small businesses operating in the mall. There was also an entire wing of the mall being used for a card show. It's is a dying mall but there is a faint pulse.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Dying malls do this. Get local shops in at low rents, but it at least gives them some cash flow. It gives them a lifeline to keep the property going so it doesn't go vacant and become heavily vandalized. There may be examples of malls out there without anchors that transition to this model and survive long term but I don't know of any.

There are things they can do to draw traffic in like the card show; used book sales, craft fairs, farmer's markets, etc. It is all a lifeline.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

The stores have been pretty open about the fact they are on one-year leases. I assume that will remain the case (or month to month at some point if development is imminent).

I have seen more personnel working for the mall (sweepers / trash pickup / restroom maintenance) than I have in years. However, I don't understand why current management did not work to move all the businesses on floor 1 and 2 to the center of the place and build those temporary walls that some aging/struggling malls do to block off entire wings or areas.

Perhaps they felt that would show too much defeat...
Perhaps they are not allowed by city ordinance or some other reason for exits...
Perhaps they really do still see some foot traffic in from the adjacent office tower (I haven't been here during the M-F 9 to 5 crowd hours to see if the path through the former Nordstrom is open again).

The TV ads have kind of made me annoyed / surprised to see the Macy's. They were made after the new ice rink was put in place and the new decor. For a few years they were making it snow inside over the food court down to the rink, but that has stopped. The ads include one quick shot of one of the new local businesses.

This year they still brought in Santa and Mrs. Claus to ring in the holiday shopping and skating season and he's been available for photos and wishes.

The mall is really more of a 'neighborhood shopping center' at this point instead of a 'regional shopping mall,' but the Barnes & Noble, ROSS, Forever 21 remain open and they've spun using the former ULTA Cosmetics space for various community uses - either seasonal wares sales marketed as "holiday fairs" this month, or the mentioned sports and trading card sales other times of the year.

If anyone is curious, it is not that different than when Ace's Adventures visited in April, though he was clearly there at a time of day before the 11 am opening of most merchants.

This is the proposed re-development:
https://www.lloydcenter.com/future-vision/