Cross-Advertising

Covering the wide world of online shopping!
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Cross-Advertising

Post by ClownLoach »

So as if retailers aren't sending enough emails to shop online, the geniuses at Apollo have found a way to further spam their customers and devalue their privacy. They are owners now of Michaels and well into the process of destroying what was once a strong chain, and now they are invested in PetSmart. They have come up with the brilliant idea of sharing the email lists between both companies and emailing each other's customers.

PetSmart is now emailing Michaels framing coupons to their customers. Michaels is emailing PetSmart coupons to their customers.

Clearly Apollo has no respect for customer privacy whatsoever while other companies, even the almighty Google, are currently working on greater privacy initiatives to improve their public image. If I for example didn't like PetSmart and Michaels put me on their email list I would be furious, and vice versa. I can't believe someone thought this was a good idea.

https://www.retaildive.com/news/michael ... Recipients
storewanderer

Re: Cross-Advertising

Post by storewanderer »

ClownLoach wrote: December 19th, 2023, 3:12 pm So as if retailers aren't sending enough emails to shop online, the geniuses at Apollo have found a way to further spam their customers and devalue their privacy. They are owners now of Michaels and well into the process of destroying what was once a strong chain, and now they are invested in PetSmart. They have come up with the brilliant idea of sharing the email lists between both companies and emailing each other's customers.

PetSmart is now emailing Michaels framing coupons to their customers. Michaels is emailing PetSmart coupons to their customers.

Clearly Apollo has no respect for customer privacy whatsoever while other companies, even the almighty Google, are currently working on greater privacy initiatives to improve their public image. If I for example didn't like PetSmart and Michaels put me on their email list I would be furious, and vice versa. I can't believe someone thought this was a good idea.

https://www.retaildive.com/news/michael ... Recipients
I wonder if they take the data a step further and record what was framed and only mail the Petsmart photos to people who have photos of pets in whatever was framed.

I am guessing both chains paid each other for the data so I am not seeing how they made money sharing the data. Whatever extra sales they get will be offset by customers upset their information was shared/upset they are being spammed with offers not relevant to them (not a pet owner whatever).

Any loyalty program or e-mail list you have the opt out option of them sharing your data with their "marketing partners." Many years ago the Safeway CEO was on the Board of Kohls. They ran cross promotions where if you spent a certain amount at Safeway you got some kind of Kohls coupon or reward or something. I don't know if personal information was actually shared between the two chains though.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Cross-Advertising

Post by BillyGr »

storewanderer wrote: December 19th, 2023, 10:14 pm Any loyalty program or e-mail list you have the opt out option of them sharing your data with their "marketing partners." Many years ago the Safeway CEO was on the Board of Kohls. They ran cross promotions where if you spent a certain amount at Safeway you got some kind of Kohls coupon or reward or something. I don't know if personal information was actually shared between the two chains though.
Seems likely that most don't even look at that part (the opt out for marketing partners), thus why they are going ahead and sending messages for their now affiliated company.

Also, the question of who are the messages actually coming from?

That is, if they send a coupon for Michael's, is it actually coming from that company, or did they just have whoever runs the PetSmart emails put out a message with their Michael's coupon?

Could be either way - if it is PetSmart sending the messages, then nothing is really being shared (as it's still only the PetSmart department that has the email contacts, they are just using them to send information for someone else).