Stores Open on New Year's Day

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
Alpha8472

Stores Open on New Year's Day

Post by Alpha8472 »

Costco is closed for the holiday, however Walmart is open. I have rarely seen Walmart so empty. The parking lot is very empty.

I think Costco knows very few people shop on New Year's day, so they close. Is it even worth it to open regular hours on New Year's day? Most people are hungover or just relaxing at home since they typically have to go back to work and school tomorrow.

Department stores an even Ross or Marshall's seem to be very empty today. Many stores close early, Walmart is open regular hours.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Stores Open on New Year's Day

Post by babs »

Alpha8472 wrote: January 1st, 2024, 1:36 pm Costco is closed for the holiday, however Walmart is open. I have rarely seen Walmart so empty. The parking lot is very empty.

I think Costco knows very few people shop on New Year's day, so they close. Is it even worth it to open regular hours on New Year's day? Most people are hungover or just relaxing at home since they typically have to go back to work and school tomorrow.

Department stores an even Ross or Marshall's seem to be very empty today. Many stores close early, Walmart is open regular hours.
Any store like Costco having to pay holiday pay needs to make sure profits exceed the cost of the additional payroll dollars.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I didn't know that Costco paid holiday pay. Other stores don't pay their employees extra on holidays.
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

Alpha8472 wrote: January 1st, 2024, 9:25 pm I didn't know that Costco paid holiday pay. Other stores don't pay their employees extra on holidays.
New Years Day, Easter, Labor Day, July 4th, Memorial Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas are all days we are closed and paid holidays. Part time employees receive pay based on hours previously worked in a certain timeframe I can't recall right now. We also receive a 'floating holiday' for MLK Day (has to be used 4? weeks before or after the holiday. I'm using mine this week), and another floating holiday for the recognition of Junetenth, but that one can be used whenever in the year.

I ran out early in the morning for to Giant for some groceries and there was quite a crowd for 11 AM on New Years Day. (I wish Aldi would have been open but both them and Lidl stay closed New Years Day). I also spontaneously popped into a Goodwill store and there was a fair amount of shoppers.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

Alpha8472 wrote: January 1st, 2024, 9:25 pm I didn't know that Costco paid holiday pay. Other stores don't pay their employees extra on holidays.
Actually, they do. Walmart is the stinky outlier here that switched to that weird "additional employee discount" incentive pre-pandemic years. :roll: