ALDI to acquire Winn-Dixie

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Re: ALDI to acquire Winn-Dixie

Post by storewanderer »

SamSpade wrote: November 21st, 2023, 11:20 am
storewanderer wrote: November 20th, 2023, 8:48 pm
cjd wrote: November 20th, 2023, 5:11 pm I saw a post on Facebook where Winn Dixie was displaying frozen pies out at room temperature! Seriously? And apparently not in just one store either.
Were they like trying to sell frozen cream pies (thaw and serve) as ready to eat? Or were they taking frozen pies and baking them in the bakery?

Hard to believe someone in the store didn't understand the food safety rules that I assume prohibit all of the above.
Apparently this is acceptable under Florida (and/or one of other W-D states) health codes (sigh) and Edwards pies send displays to stores, even. Basically they can be at room temperature for up to 28 days for the PECAN pie only. I still don't like it. Display the plastic boxed frozen and thaw "bakery baked" (right...) pies instead.
I've seen stores without bakeries do this with the cream pies, independent stores, and usually a low number of pies just on the day before a holiday.

I think they at least need refrigerating but the pecan probably doesn't.

Safeway if they run out of their usual pies, bakes Sara Lee pies and packs them in a bakery container. Label says Sara Lee... not hiding anything.

Sara Lee bought Cyrus O Learys so they got heavy into thaw and sell.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

That makes sense then. These were in fact, Edwards Pecan Pies. I guess I’ve never heard of thawing Edwards pies in store, or being condoned by Edwards even, but it makes sense given the exact same thing is done in most supermarket bakeries, just with store branded ones.

I seem to recall that NBC or ABC did a segment on supermarket inspections, from fewest to most code violations back in 2005. I was surprised that Winn Dixie actually ranked two spots better than Publix at the time. And this was when WD was actually entering bankruptcy.

I recall Publix also stated that its average inspection score at the time was 93%, so I would think WD’s average was at least slightly better back then. It was surprising to me.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

cjd wrote: November 25th, 2023, 9:11 pm That makes sense then. These were in fact, Edwards Pecan Pies. I guess I’ve never heard of thawing Edwards pies in store, or being condoned by Edwards even, but it makes sense given the exact same thing is done in most supermarket bakeries, just with store branded ones.

I seem to recall that NBC or ABC did a segment on supermarket inspections, from fewest to most code violations back in 2005. I was surprised that Winn Dixie actually ranked two spots better than Publix at the time. And this was when WD was actually entering bankruptcy.

I recall Publix also stated that its average inspection score at the time was 93%, so I would think WD’s average was at least slightly better back then. It was surprising to me.
93% is not a great score for an outfit like Publix.

They should be getting, minimum 98% average or better.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: November 26th, 2023, 8:31 am
cjd wrote: November 25th, 2023, 9:11 pm That makes sense then. These were in fact, Edwards Pecan Pies. I guess I’ve never heard of thawing Edwards pies in store, or being condoned by Edwards even, but it makes sense given the exact same thing is done in most supermarket bakeries, just with store branded ones.

93% is not a great score for an outfit like Publix.

They should be getting, minimum 98% average or better.

I would think 93% is borderline termination level for the impacted department manager(s) and store manager if it happens in more than one consecutive inspection... you don't see that low of a health score in most major chain supermarkets ever.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

I don’t really know what the scores are around here. The FL Dept of Agriculture only publishes the violations and if the inspection scored as Good, Fair, or Poor. I’ve never seen a chain supermarket score in the Poor category. But I have seen more Fairs than Goods.

I don’t know what the threshold is for Good or Fair but Poor is definitely considered a failed inspection.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

I really haven't read anything about "ALDIxie" in months, good or bad. The stores got rid of their pharmacies either way.

I wonder if Aldi got cold feet.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

pseudo3d wrote: January 16th, 2024, 1:59 pm I really haven't read anything about "ALDIxie" in months, good or bad. The stores got rid of their pharmacies either way.

I think Aldi is waiting on the Kroger/Albertsons merger to be done before pushing too hard on this.
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Knight »

pseudo3d wrote: January 16th, 2024, 1:59 pm I really haven't read anything about "ALDIxie" in months, good or bad. The stores got rid of their pharmacies either way.

Winn-Dixie could be closing a quantity of stores before Aldi's acquisition is finalized.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

Knight wrote: January 16th, 2024, 3:34 pm

Winn-Dixie could be closing a quantity of stores before Aldi's acquisition is finalized.
I think they're going to shove this merger through once they see what happens with KR-ACI, but I think they're going to do it as a Winn-Dixie prepackaged bankruptcy to get rid of all the stores Aldi doesn't want without paying lease severance. I still have my concerns about the very aggressive comments that were made at the time of the merger announcement, that Aldi intends to grow their company by any means necessary to become the 3rd largest grocer in the USA. I really think if they can pull this Winn-Dixie thing off they're going to turn it into a model to grow and start picking off other heavily indebted local and regional chains. The irony is that although they don't need as much volume to be profitable due to their low cost model, they might find that they don't retain enough of the acquired store's business to ever attain this "3rd place" status they desire. But they seem to have more than enough money to try to get what they want, and that attitude plus financial status makes them far more dangerous to the industry than Amazon in my opinion. So let's hope this deal is a flop.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

Might Aldi be using some of these W/D stores to develope a bigger format like Lidl?

That could destroy Lidl and send them packing!