Save Mart

California. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Re: Save Mart

Post by storewanderer »

reymann wrote: February 2nd, 2024, 9:07 pm i was at the foodmaxx on blackstone/barstow and saw the self checkout area all barricaded off tonight. i'm wondering if save mart is going to phase out self-checkout at their stores.
I don't think so, but some of the Food Maxx locations have very old units that need to be replaced.
reymann
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by reymann »

I recently noticed Save Mart & Food Maxx are now selling sushi at their stores. The california roll was going for $6.99 at Foodmaxx. Their sale pricing at Food Maxx has been a bit better as of late too.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I've picked up an item or two from Save Mart the past week. Food Maxx still not seeing much, I did see some better prices but I wasn't interested in the items they were featuring.

Traffic in the stores seems pretty low. Conditions are okay. Employee morale doesn't seem great, but some stores are better than others.

There has been a Reddit thread going on Reno lately about Save Mart, people complaining about prices. There was like one person who pointed out the extreme high/low pricing and had positive things to say about Save Mart but a lot more commenting less than positive about Save Mart. Various other unrelated noise on that thread, just have to sift through it to see the stuff about stores.
~ttps://www.reddit.com/r/Reno/comments/1br8l8o/savemart_scam/
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: April 2nd, 2024, 1:18 am I've picked up an item or two from Save Mart the past week. Food Maxx still not seeing much, I did see some better prices but I wasn't interested in the items they were featuring.

Traffic in the stores seems pretty low. Conditions are okay. Employee morale doesn't seem great, but some stores are better than others.

There has been a Reddit thread going on Reno lately about Save Mart, people complaining about prices. There was like one person who pointed out the extreme high/low pricing and had positive things to say about Save Mart but a lot more commenting less than positive about Save Mart. Various other unrelated noise on that thread, just have to sift through it to see the stuff about stores.
~ttps://www.reddit.com/r/Reno/comments/1br8l8o/savemart_scam/
I have a feeling that when they were pursuing the Krogersons cast offs they refinanced their debt at today's higher interest rates and possibly took on new loans. They probably got larger credit lines and expected that the added volume of greatly expanding their business would scale expenses accordingly to cancel out the interest difference. Plus they had hired some ex Albertsons execs? Then Krogersons turned around and signed the C&S deal because they really didn't want to do a legitimate divestiture program and now they're stuck with higher debt service expenses plus fat executive salaries. Usually can't just pay back the loans early in business to escape the interest expense so they're stuck with a pile of cash burning interest and nobody to buy. Not being from the area I have to just gauge from the comments but it sounded like prices skyrocketed and labor was slashed about the same time the C&S deal was announced and they realized they weren't going to get any of the stores.
reymann
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by reymann »

Save Mart retreating from Reno would not be a bad idea. Divest what the can to Safeway and pull out.
bryceleinan
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by bryceleinan »

reymann wrote: April 2nd, 2024, 9:42 am Save Mart retreating from Reno would not be a bad idea. Divest what the can to Safeway and pull out.
Safeway would have to figure out what to do with the Sparks and Carson FoodMaxx locations, and the West Reno Save Mart. Rest of the stores are far enough from a Safeway it wouldn’t matter. That being said, if they were to retreat, serious capex would be required for several locations. I’m not sure they would completely pull out of Reno, at least not yet.

Raley’s wouldn’t be an option for the divests either as several of the stores are fairly close to their existing locations. About the only ones Raley’s could pick up are North Carson, Kietzke / McCarran, Spanish Springs, and possibly Plumb / Arlington.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

bryceleinan wrote: April 2nd, 2024, 7:41 pm
reymann wrote: April 2nd, 2024, 9:42 am Save Mart retreating from Reno would not be a bad idea. Divest what the can to Safeway and pull out.
Safeway would have to figure out what to do with the Sparks and Carson FoodMaxx locations, and the West Reno Save Mart. Rest of the stores are far enough from a Safeway it wouldn’t matter. That being said, if they were to retreat, serious capex would be required for several locations. I’m not sure they would completely pull out of Reno, at least not yet.

Raley’s wouldn’t be an option for the divests either as several of the stores are fairly close to their existing locations. About the only ones Raley’s could pick up are North Carson, Kietzke / McCarran, Spanish Springs, and possibly Plumb / Arlington.
Only a few of the locations would make sense for Safeway. Also the lack of pharmacy is a HUGE issue if they could not reopen pharmacy. If they could reopen pharmacy it would be great. The locations that MAY make sense for Safeway would be:
Kietzke (but Safeway already failed in that area twice... first with Pak N Save then with the normal Safeway on the next lot over from the Save Mart...),
Plumb (this store does a fraction of the volume it did as Albertsons yet there isn't much competition, Save Mart has just run customers off with bad pricing),
Spanish Springs (or would Safeway be better off building its own store elsewhere out there...),
possibly North Carson (not really sure there is enough volume for Safeway in this store, they already failed nearby, but it would be worth a shot; the new Sprouts is going to impact this store for however long that new Sprouts survives which I suspect won't be long)...

What is interesting there is those 4 stores are the ones Save Mart has remodeled in the area in the past few years... but their remodels are low budget and already don't look very good.

There was a time when I thought the Reno/Sparks Save Marts would make sense for Smiths. But I don't think it is a good fit anymore. Volumes have been allowed to continue too low, pharmacy closures are a problem, and the stores need a lot of work. There is no way to add fuel to most of the locations.

Both Food Maxx locations are a problem. Neither do much volume and both are very poorly run. However I've heard these are actually profitable. With how they run them I can see how. Hardly any employees. Perishables are very "managed." Pricing isn't great. Maintenance is very low.

The other Save Marts- NW Reno, Keystone, and South Carson hardly do any volume. NW Reno could make a good Smiths to get Smiths into that part of town but it is a substandard facility, no room to add fuel, etc. I see NW Reno split between Grocery Outlet/Sprouts and/or a TJ Maxx/Marshalls.
reymann
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by reymann »

Grocery Outlet
storewanderer wrote: April 2nd, 2024, 9:31 pm

Only a few of the locations would make sense for Safeway. Also the lack of pharmacy is a HUGE issue if they could not reopen pharmacy. If they could reopen pharmacy it would be great. The locations that MAY make sense for Safeway would be:
Kietzke (but Safeway already failed in that area twice... first with Pak N Save then with the normal Safeway on the next lot over from the Save Mart...),
Plumb (this store does a fraction of the volume it did as Albertsons yet there isn't much competition, Save Mart has just run customers off with bad pricing),
Spanish Springs (or would Safeway be better off building its own store elsewhere out there...),
possibly North Carson (not really sure there is enough volume for Safeway in this store, they already failed nearby, but it would be worth a shot; the new Sprouts is going to impact this store for however long that new Sprouts survives which I suspect won't be long)...

What is interesting there is those 4 stores are the ones Save Mart has remodeled in the area in the past few years... but their remodels are low budget and already don't look very good.

There was a time when I thought the Reno/Sparks Save Marts would make sense for Smiths. But I don't think it is a good fit anymore. Volumes have been allowed to continue too low, pharmacy closures are a problem, and the stores need a lot of work. There is no way to add fuel to most of the locations.

Both Food Maxx locations are a problem. Neither do much volume and both are very poorly run. However I've heard these are actually profitable. With how they run them I can see how. Hardly any employees. Perishables are very "managed." Pricing isn't great. Maintenance is very low.

The other Save Marts- NW Reno, Keystone, and South Carson hardly do any volume. NW Reno could make a good Smiths to get Smiths into that part of town but it is a substandard facility, no room to add fuel, etc. I see NW Reno split between Grocery Outlet/Sprouts and/or a TJ Maxx/Marshalls.
I think Grocery Outlet would be a great candidate to take some of these low end stores off Save Mart's hands. Aldi could be another candidate if they start getting aggressive with expansion in NorCal and Nevada.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

reymann wrote: April 2nd, 2024, 10:02 pm
I think Grocery Outlet would be a great candidate to take some of these low end stores off Save Mart's hands. Aldi could be another candidate if they start getting aggressive with expansion in NorCal and Nevada.
Grocery Outlet won't use the whole space. Grocery Outlet is in many of the former larger area Scolaris. The spaces got divided up.

Scolaris now Grocery Outlet:
Lemmon Drive, Reno- Grocery Outlet/Big Lots; Grocery Outlet does great in this location, Big Lots seems to be surviving
Disc Drive, Sparks- Grocery Outlet/Big Lots; Grocery Outlet does great in this location and I wouldn't be surprised if this is one of the top stores in the entire chain, Big Lots seems to be surviving sort of
Gardnerville- Grocery Outlet/Harbor Freight (was Bealls/Gordmans)- Grocery Outlet does poorly in this location
Carson City- Grocery Outlet/99 Only- Grocery Outlet is doing great in this location which has surprised me, 99 Only does okay
FrankMoore99
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by FrankMoore99 »

storewanderer wrote: April 2nd, 2024, 9:31 pm

Are these non-remodeled Save Marts their worst performing ones?? https://haydenbusinessblog.blogspot.com ... e-yet.html.
Or are there ones that are doing worse that Save Mart remodeled?? Why hasn't Save Mart remodeled these locations in the link??