Kroger Switches Store To Self Checkout in Greater Nashville

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Re: Kroger Switches Store To Self Checkout in Greater Nashville

Post by storewanderer »

CA can't really do this due to the liquor sales law. In theory they can but the problem is one misstep from a cashier who lets a customer complete a liquor transaction on self checkout and the store is in deep water with ABC.

And by complete I mean, if the cashier does not stay there through tender of payment and then physically remove the receipt and hand it to the customer, the store is in violation of state law selling alcohol at a self checkout. I know people from other states won't understand this but this is how the CA law that was put into place solely to attack self checkout only Fresh & Easy is designed/written.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

A store in the Dallas division that did this is reverting it.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

pseudo3d wrote: February 2nd, 2024, 5:21 pm A store in the Dallas division that did this is reverting it.
The Dallas Division store added 3 checkstands in...
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

storewanderer wrote: August 4th, 2023, 10:38 pm CA can't really do this due to the liquor sales law. In theory they can but the problem is one misstep from a cashier who lets a customer complete a liquor transaction on self checkout and the store is in deep water with ABC.

And by complete I mean, if the cashier does not stay there through tender of payment and then physically remove the receipt and hand it to the customer, the store is in violation of state law selling alcohol at a self checkout. I know people from other states won't understand this but this is how the CA law that was put into place solely to attack self checkout only Fresh & Easy is designed/written.
Then it seems the solution is to have one spot only for the liquor sales (like many self-checkouts will have a stand somewhere that the cashier uses and can take payments there as well).

Ring just those item(s) up there and everything else via the regular self-registers. If customers complain about having to do two separate purchases, give them a card with the name and contact of their local legislator to get the rules fixed (since the reason for them no longer exists) :)
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

BillyGr wrote: February 3rd, 2024, 7:55 am

Then it seems the solution is to have one spot only for the liquor sales (like many self-checkouts will have a stand somewhere that the cashier uses and can take payments there as well).

Ring just those item(s) up there and everything else via the regular self-registers. If customers complain about having to do two separate purchases, give them a card with the name and contact of their local legislator to get the rules fixed (since the reason for them no longer exists) :)
There are unknowns with the no liquor at self checkout law in CA and what impacts it has. As I do not typically buy liquor when in CA, sometimes I think this causes shorter lines at self checkout because so many people have liquor, so regular lanes are backed up with lines, but self checkout is moving smoothly. This is especially noticeable around Lake Tahoe and especially on holiday weekends when it feels like literally 90% of customers in the store are buying liquor.

This also pushes a lot of large carts out of self checkout which is a good thing.

This CA law also makes it so these retailers who try to be "self checkout only" cannot do that. Up here in Reno area it is not unusual to go into a Smiths, Safeway, Raleys, Save Mart, CVS, Target, or Wal Mart during early morning or evening hours that is self checkout only with no regular register open. In CA they cannot do that due to this liquor law.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

I have rarely witnessed a hold up for liquor purchases at self check outs at Ralphs, Vons, Albertsons or Pavilions in my area.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: February 3rd, 2024, 12:43 pm I have rarely witnessed a hold up for liquor purchases at self check outs at Ralphs, Vons, Albertsons or Pavilions in my area.
What do you mean by that? A void when someone tries liquor at self checkout?

You should go to Tahoe. Happens ALL day. Multiple times in an hour.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

storewanderer wrote: February 3rd, 2024, 7:57 pm
veteran+ wrote: February 3rd, 2024, 12:43 pm I have rarely witnessed a hold up for liquor purchases at self check outs at Ralphs, Vons, Albertsons or Pavilions in my area.

I mean that liquor purchases at the above mentioned retailers in my area rarely have problems that cause any delays.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: February 4th, 2024, 7:52 am
storewanderer wrote: February 3rd, 2024, 7:57 pm

I mean that liquor purchases at the above mentioned retailers in my area rarely have problems that cause any delays.
Do they process the liquor purchases via self checkout at those stores (stand there and complete the payment for the customer to be compliant with CA State Law)? The NorCal Stores I go into just flat out refuse liquor at self checkout no matter what chain. It scans and the "wait for assistance" is followed by a transaction void.

Sometimes the Safeway in Truckee will have a second person typically a supervisor up at the attendant station and for the transactions that try to do liquor through self checkout they'll void off just the liquor and instruct the customer to stop at the attendant station to pay for the liquor in a separate transaction after they complete the rest of their order on the self checkout. This seems to be the best solution for a very busy store that has a very high percentage of liquor transactions.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

I will confirm next time I am there!

;)