Wegmans Manhattan Fish Market

Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont. No non-grocery posts.
pseudo3d

Wegmans Manhattan Fish Market

Post by pseudo3d »

I'm sure you've heard of this, but basically Wegmans recently opened a Manhattan store, and instead of a regular seafood department has a concept called Sakanaya, a Japanese-style fish market with fresh fish flown in from Japan, fresh (real, chef-prepared) sushi, all that stuff. Unfortunately, it got sued as it allegedly copied Osakana, a similar venture elsewhere in Manhattan with Wegmans' consultants having inside knowledge of the store.

I'm not sure if there's a case, as Osakana's owner started a Change.org petition rather than a lawsuit, but it is kind of curious to see anyway. Usually trade dress cases get settled early if there's a good chance it's a clone and they don't have the resources to pursue a lengthy lawsuit.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Wegmans Manhattan Fish Market

Post by ClownLoach »

pseudo3d wrote: March 5th, 2024, 4:55 pm I'm sure you've heard of this, but basically Wegmans recently opened a Manhattan store, and instead of a regular seafood department has a concept called Sakanaya, a Japanese-style fish market with fresh fish flown in from Japan, fresh (real, chef-prepared) sushi, all that stuff. Unfortunately, it got sued as it allegedly copied Osakana, a similar venture elsewhere in Manhattan with Wegmans' consultants having inside knowledge of the store.

I'm not sure if there's a case, as Osakana's owner started a Change.org petition rather than a lawsuit, but it is kind of curious to see anyway. Usually trade dress cases get settled early if there's a good chance it's a clone and they don't have the resources to pursue a lengthy lawsuit.
Trade dress cases regarding food are tough. Sushi is a complicated artform, but you couldn't say trademark a sushi roll to prevent other restaurants from serving it.

The inability to patent most foods is why trendy restaurants wind up under attack by copycats very quickly. Even big chains have gone through this; for example when everyone wanted rotisserie chicken and Boston Market was big they overexpanded only for every supermarket and other place to start selling the same thing (usually cheaper too). Then they imploded under the competition.

I guess if the menu is nearly identical between the two restaurants, and the offerings are very unique, then maybe there is a case. But there are dozens of sushi items that are on pretty much every menu at every sushi restaurant.