Walgreens names new CEO

storewanderer

Re: Walgreens names new CEO

Post by storewanderer »

Walgreens is closing two distribution centers- one in Orlando, FL and one in CT.

FL is a very strong market for Walgreens and one they put a lot of effort into in the past.

Both warehouses have over 300 employees.

They have other centers elsewhere in CT and FL.

The CT site closing was a Rite Aid distribution.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

Walgreens has been closing down the Village Medical sites in several markets-mainly in Florida. These are the clinics that were built on existing Walgreens sites-cutting the size of the Walgreens store in half. With Village Medical gone, what do they do with the now empty space?
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

jamcool wrote: March 16th, 2024, 9:58 am Walgreens has been closing down the Village Medical sites in several markets-mainly in Florida. These are the clinics that were built on existing Walgreens sites-cutting the size of the Walgreens store in half. With Village Medical gone, what do they do with the now empty space?
Here in Phoenix, the Central Avenue and Osborne Rd store now has a "Be Well" clinic. It opened within the last few weeks. That store had a Walgreens clinic (which shut down with the rest of them) but did not have a Village Medical Center. A few days ago, I drove by the store at Thomas and 16th Street (About two miles away) and Village Medical was still open.

EDIT: Be Well focuses on sexual health, such as PEP, PrEP, STI treatment and testing, and gender-affirming care. It is the first on-demand clinic offered by Be Well AZ, a traditional family practice in Tempe, AZ. Central Phoenix, which has a large LGBTQ population, is a good location for the clinic. It happens to be the closest Walgreens to the Melrose District, which is the closest thing Phoenix has to a gayborhood. My PCP is a nurse practitioner who formerly worked in PrEP and HIV/AIDs care for Walgreens clinics. While I am selfishly glad they closed their clinics (else she wouldn't be my PCP) the closure did leave a big hole for people who either don't have a PCP or who don't feel comfortable discussing topics like STI's, PrEP, and testing with their PCP and don't want to use the public health system. It's nice to see Walgreens serving this market again. I hope it flourishes.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

rwsandiego wrote: March 16th, 2024, 10:11 am
jamcool wrote: March 16th, 2024, 9:58 am Walgreens has been closing down the Village Medical sites in several markets-mainly in Florida. These are the clinics that were built on existing Walgreens sites-cutting the size of the Walgreens store in half. With Village Medical gone, what do they do with the now empty space?
Here in Phoenix, the Central Avenue and Osborne Rd store now has a "Be Well" clinic. It opened within the last few weeks. That store had a Walgreens clinic (which shut down with the rest of them) but did not have a Village Medical Center. A few days ago, I drove by the store at Thomas and 16th Street (About two miles away) and Village Medical was still open.

EDIT: Be Well focuses on sexual health, such as PEP, PrEP, STI treatment and testing, and gender-affirming care. It is the first on-demand clinic offered by Be Well AZ, a traditional family practice in Tempe, AZ. Central Phoenix, which has a large LGBTQ population, is a good location for the clinic. It happens to be the closest Walgreens to the Melrose District, which is the closest thing Phoenix has to a gayborhood. My PCP is a nurse practitioner who formerly worked in PrEP and HIV/AIDs care for Walgreens clinics. While I am selfishly glad they closed their clinics (else she wouldn't be my PCP) the closure did leave a big hole for people who either don't have a PCP or who don't feel comfortable discussing topics like STI's, PrEP, and testing with their PCP and don't want to use the public health system. It's nice to see Walgreens serving this market again. I hope it flourishes.
Is this the only one?

They have a space on their website for it.

https://www.walgreens.com/findcare/part ... ellhealth1
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

storewanderer wrote: March 16th, 2024, 12:06 pm
rwsandiego wrote: March 16th, 2024, 10:11 am

Is this the only one?

They have a space on their website for it.

https://www.walgreens.com/findcare/part ... ellhealth1
Yes it is the only one. Maybe Walgreens intends to open more of them.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

rwsandiego wrote: March 16th, 2024, 8:19 pm
"Be Well" was Walgreens slogan for a number of years as I recall pre-Boots. Or possibly right after Boots.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

storewanderer wrote: March 16th, 2024, 11:35 pm
rwsandiego wrote: March 16th, 2024, 8:19 pm
"Be Well" was Walgreens slogan for a number of years as I recall pre-Boots. Or possibly right after Boots.
That's true. However, the "Be Well" that is renting space from Walgreens is part of Be Well Family Care in Tempe, as the press release announcing the grand opening states.

Given the Tempe practice was opened in 2019, I think the name is a coincidence.