In N Out closing Oakland Airport area location

storewanderer

Re: In N Out closing Oakland Airport area location

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: January 25th, 2024, 9:05 am Oakland Police's history tells you everything you need to know about their reputation, even before COVID and budget issues.

And during any administration, past and present.
It is unfortunate. Oakland was improving prior to 2020. Slowly, it felt like things were getting better there... but now... rock bottom it seems... at least around the airport retail/restaurant areas...
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

SamSpade wrote: January 23rd, 2024, 7:44 am For unknown reasons, our local Fox-affiliated television station decided to broadcast the story about this Oakland In-n-Out location closing. Unfortunately it provided none of the context or information here (typical network TV), and basically made Oakland sound like a crime-ridden horror show.

So, there ya' go. The power of "misinformation" further clouding the perception of an already challenged city. :(

Thankfully they and others have mostly stopped their assault on the local downtown and city core, with the exception of the Sinclair owned station.
As far as I know, with the exception of construction projects, In-N-Out has NEVER closed a location, even keeping slower ones open where projects never materialized. This isn't like Burger King where they can just "close for remodeling" one day and never return.

This "it's that not that bad, the media is just fearmongering" defense while stores continue to close and problems continue to crop up reminds me of around a decade ago when conditions at Sears and Kmart were declining, and Lampert went on record saying that it was an exaggeration.

I wanted to believe him, I really did...but in reality, the chain continued to lose money, the stores continued to close, and nothing improved.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

pseudo3d wrote: January 26th, 2024, 9:50 am
SamSpade wrote: January 23rd, 2024, 7:44 am For unknown reasons, our local Fox-affiliated television station decided to broadcast the story about this Oakland In-n-Out location closing. Unfortunately it provided none of the context or information here (typical network TV), and basically made Oakland sound like a crime-ridden horror show.

So, there ya' go. The power of "misinformation" further clouding the perception of an already challenged city. :(

Thankfully they and others have mostly stopped their assault on the local downtown and city core, with the exception of the Sinclair owned station.
As far as I know, with the exception of construction projects, In-N-Out has NEVER closed a location, even keeping slower ones open where projects never materialized. This isn't like Burger King where they can just "close for remodeling" one day and never return.

This "it's that not that bad, the media is just fearmongering" defense while stores continue to close and problems continue to crop up reminds me of around a decade ago when conditions at Sears and Kmart were declining, and Lampert went on record saying that it was an exaggeration.

I wanted to believe him, I really did...but in reality, the chain continued to lose money, the stores continued to close, and nothing improved.
In-N-Out has been extremely clear in stating the location was also "high volume" and "highly profitable" but they chose to close due to the out-of-control situation that left their customers and employees in the path of danger. They have never closed a store. Relocated, yes, but never outright closed.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

If another business moved in to the shopping center such as a Costco, would that have improved the safety situation?

Costco has security vehicles patrolling their parking lots. Perhaps it would have made a difference. There are nearby cities with a Costco that do not have these safety issues.

In N Out could relocate to the Costco parking lot a short distance away in San Leandro. For some reason that neighborhood is very safe and low in crime. They could bulldoze the ugly warehouses in the area.

You cross the city border and once you are out of Oakland, the crime rate drops significantly. You can walk the streets and feel safe.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: January 26th, 2024, 6:04 pm If another business moved in to the shopping center such as a Costco, would that have improved the safety situation?

Costco has security vehicles patrolling their parking lots. Perhaps it would have made a difference. There are nearby cities with a Costco that do not have these safety issues.

In N Out could relocate to the Costco parking lot a short distance away in San Leandro. For some reason that neighborhood is very safe and low in crime. They could bulldoze the ugly warehouses in the area.

You cross the city border and once you are out of Oakland, the crime rate drops significantly. You can walk the streets and feel safe.
These fast foods have security vehicles patrolling the parking lots and security standing outside. It still isn't working. I don't know why. The gas stations have security standing under the gas pump canopy and the break ins happen despite the presence of the security.

My guess is the situation has gotten so out of control so fast they just need to close. They cannot wait to relocate. The relocation could be a future new store nearby.

Until the police support the area nothing will change.

After the businesses move away the people doing the break ins will move on too. Surrounding areas will need to be very alert.
HCal
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by HCal »

Alpha8472 wrote: January 24th, 2024, 12:56 am I used to ride the subway train through Oakland every work day until 2020. I have been attacked by juvenile delinquents and I have seen muggings. I even saw homeless people smoking crack on a train. However, back then there were crowds of people so I felt somewhat safe. Now with very few train riders due to work from home, I don't feel safe riding the train anymore. I drive now.
Have you ridden since they implemented the new trains in September? That seems to have made them more crowded (because they are smaller).
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: January 26th, 2024, 6:23 pm
Alpha8472 wrote: January 26th, 2024, 6:04 pm If another business moved in to the shopping center such as a Costco, would that have improved the safety situation?

These fast foods have security vehicles patrolling the parking lots and security standing outside. It still isn't working. I don't know why. The gas stations have security standing under the gas pump canopy and the break ins happen despite the presence of the security.

My guess is the situation has gotten so out of control so fast they just need to close. They cannot wait to relocate. The relocation could be a future new store nearby.

Until the police support the area nothing will change.

After the businesses move away the people doing the break ins will move on too. Surrounding areas will need to be very alert.
When the Police will not respond to anything short of shots fired, which is very likely the case here, then security is a fruitless exercise. Then you've got dangerous and violent criminals versus poorly trained, unarmed, minimum wage security personnel. The costs of properly trained security personnel that are armed can be astronomical especially in a high crime index area; the insurance costs will likely drive the business into the red due to fears of multi-million dollar wrongful death claims.

I watched a best-in-class store detective and LP agent group move from paying for itself in apprehensions and recovery to being fully disbanded in 5 years as Police departments have struggled to hire and thus deprioritized calls to process shoplifters despite the fact that technically the crime is robbery.

The absence of police creates these situations.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

HCal wrote: January 29th, 2024, 2:09 am
Alpha8472 wrote: January 24th, 2024, 12:56 am I used to ride the subway train through Oakland every work day until 2020. I have been attacked by juvenile delinquents and I have seen muggings. I even saw homeless people smoking crack on a train. However, back then there were crowds of people so I felt somewhat safe. Now with very few train riders due to work from home, I don't feel safe riding the train anymore. I drive now.
Have you ridden since they implemented the new trains in September? That seems to have made them more crowded (because they are smaller).
I rode it on an uncrowded weekday. It seemed ok, but there were weird homeless people all over.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The city has hired a 24/7 security team to patrol the shopping center and has increased police patrols of this area around the airport. The security team also patrols the Starbucks and the Chevron station that where all those robberies occurred. There are new eye in the sky security cameras. All for show.

There are Security Ambassadors being sent onto the streets to reach out to the homeless.

The mayor held a news conference at the local Airport Hotel claiming crime has gone down in the area. I was expecting some dramatic purse snatching at the news conference.

It is a little too late. I don't know how long they will keep up this show.

The Raising Cane's is still drive thru only.