7-Eleven Really Hates Wyoming

Gas stations & convenience stores (AM/PM, 7-Eleven, etc.)
a42887
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

7-Eleven Really Hates Wyoming

Post by a42887 »

It's almost comical how much 7-Eleven seems to hate Wyoming. They had a pretty long history of stores in the state, but those were sold off to Kum & Go during the big 1998 selloff:

https://theindependent.com/news/7-eleve ... ab08f.html

Then, they acquired four stores in the state via the CST sale (and divesture) in 2016:

115 N Greeley Hwy, Cheyenne, WY 82007
3306 W College Dr, Cheyenne, WY 82007
600 Vandehei Ave, Cheyenne, WY 82009
1952 Banner Rd, Laramie, WY 82072

https://www.mysanantonio.com/business/l ... 346776.php

They didn't last though, as they were quickly sold off to Parkland before any rebranding:

https://csnews.com/7-eleven-sheds-three-wyoming-sites

Parkland initially kept three, and now only has one left of the three, which has been rebranded to the On the Run concept. Then, 7-Eleven fell into more Wyoming stores by way of the Speedway acquisition (who themselves had gathered the stores from Tesoro/Andeavor):

3363 E Pershing Blvd, Cheyenne, WY 82001
3108 Grand Ave, Laramie, WY 82070
1010 CY Ave. Casper, WY 82601
1500 S Poplar St, Casper, WY 82604

Each of these stores is listed as being owned by 7-Eleven in their respective property records with the counties. All four of these were former Albertson's Express stores that were sold off when SuperValu had the bright idea of divesting all convenience stores. And as of yesterday, those four locations have now been emptied and taped off. News article about one:

https://oilcity.news/community/business ... dly-close/

IMG_4467.jpeg
IMG_4468.jpeg

Why does 7-Eleven hate us so much? :lol:
BatteryMill
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Re: 7-Eleven Really Hates Wyoming

Post by BatteryMill »

SuperValu selling c-stores was a detriment?
a42887
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by a42887 »

Absolutely. Kroger and other retailers have been able to drive sales quite well with the lure of fuel discounts. By divesting these locations, they lost their own network to try to incentivize with. Plus, they had decent pricing compared to the surrounding stations and actually were stocked pretty well.

Edit: They were relatively simple to operate too - the one in Cheyenne had a bank tube to send the cash back to the main store, so they didn't even have to have a safe or handle admin out there. It was all scheduled through the main store, and even the cameras ran back to the main store. Clerks from inside would rotate days out in the fuel center - the only requirement was some basic fuel training for shut offs and deliveries.
Last edited by a42887 on March 20th, 2024, 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Super S

Post by Super S »

I have been wondering why Albertsons/Safeway hasn't tried to get a few of these back. In Oregon and Washington, I have seen a few Albertsons rebrand to Safeway but the fuel stations immediately in front of the stores remain under other brands.

One interesting situation is in Troutdale, Oregon, where the Albertsons rebranded as Safeway but the fuel station is under another operator, while a nearby Safeway did not reopen after a roof collapse during a winter storm a few years back, but the fuel station there remains open to this day.

Albertsons was never a big gas station operator, but Safeway made an effort with this at most locations before they were part of Albertsons. Kroger will likely want these back if they end up with Albertsons....
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Albertsons took back Baker City.

Maybe they'll take this one back.

I'm very surprised this still ran as USA. The other USAs that 7-11 got were hastily rebranded to Speedway Express, there was something in the sale agreement that 7-11 had to stop using Marathon brands within 90 days of the transaction. That obviously wasn't the case with this site.
a42887
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by a42887 »

storewanderer wrote: March 20th, 2024, 9:04 am Albertsons took back Baker City.

I'm very surprised this still ran as USA. The other USAs that 7-11 got were hastily rebranded to Speedway Express, there was something in the sale agreement that 7-11 had to stop using Marathon brands within 90 days of the transaction. That obviously wasn't the case with this site.
I believe they knew that they were abandoning these sites, so they didn't waste the effort. Considering they've divested every single property in Wyoming that they've accidentally acquired, I imagine it was planned for some time to get rid of them.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

Off Topic
Nice renovation! Looks really good after they were doing work in September 2023 (when Google drove through). Nice to not have it mothballed. I suppose Oregon's looser self service rules probably helped. Store is open 6 am to midnight, gas 5a-11p. As it is part of Portland division, the Safeway fuel points earned from stores on both sides of the road would be redeemable here.
Baker City (with photos) Albertsons Express
ALL 7 Albertsons Express locations
Safeway has 289 fuel centers, including 4 in Hawaii. 20 at Vons (only 2 in NV). 2 at Jewel-Osco. Safeway Fuel locations
Bluelightspecial
Receiving Clerk
Receiving Clerk

Post by Bluelightspecial »

So they are branding these as Albertsons fuel stations even when it is right across the street from a Safeway branded store?.... I know it's the same company, but doesn't seem consistent.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Bluelightspecial wrote: March 21st, 2024, 8:36 pm

So they are branding these as Albertsons fuel stations even when it is right across the street from a Safeway branded store?.... I know it's the same company, but doesn't seem consistent.
But it is in the parking lot of an Albertsons branded store? Why wouldn't they brand it Albertsons in that case (Baker City)?

Safeway is across the street and evidently there is no plan to convert the Albertsons there to a Safeway. Baker City isn't that far from Boise.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

storewanderer wrote: March 21st, 2024, 9:00 pm
Bluelightspecial wrote: March 21st, 2024, 8:36 pm So they are branding these as Albertsons fuel stations even when it is right across the street from a Safeway branded store?.... I know it's the same company, but doesn't seem consistent.
But it is in the parking lot of an Albertsons branded store? Why wouldn't they brand it Albertsons in that case (Baker City)?

Safeway is across the street and evidently there is no plan to convert the Albertsons there to a Safeway. Baker City isn't that far from Boise.
Off Topic
The original plan was to give Baker City two Safeway stores after Albertsons Co's. re-leased the one they pawned off to Haggen. The community made an uproar so the Portland division (who operates both) opened the "Albertsons" as such. I'm not sure if they were hoping to close one as a lease expired or if the community of approximately 10,000 really needed two supermarkets. (there is also now a nearby Grocery Outlet, built from the ground up)