Macys Stores Closing by 2026

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Macys Closing Stores by 2026

Post by arizonaguy »

storewanderer wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 6:59 pm
arizonaguy wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 6:50 pm
storewanderer wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 6:37 pm

I think Dillards has enough clearance centers in AZ right now with the 2 they currently have. They need one to close, then they can convert that one. They let Desert Sky stay a full service store way longer than I ever thought they would but finally converted that. But I'm not clear what their exit strategy at Desert Sky is, don't know if they own or lease.

I don't know what they will do about Casa Grande. If that just stays a clearance center basically forever since I see no logical exit strategy there as I suspect they own the property and doubt anyone is going to want it. If they lease it then I'm sure it is gone at end of lease term.
I was only suggesting that due to the proximity of Superstition Springs to SanTan Village (the A "mall" in the general area) and the general tenant type at Superstition Springs. This is a mall where Ross and TJMaxx are both junior anchors and the surrounding strip centers are significant vacancies.

Honestly Superstition Springs probably is closer to Dillard's current target demographic but in this day and age 2 stores 8 miles (15 minutes) apart in suburbia probably doesn't make a ton of sense (as Macy's seems to be proving) especially when one is clearly in a declining retail zone.
I think for them it is all about the real estate. The clearance stores are clearly designed for when a store has reached "end of life" for them. Run it on fumes until figuring out how to get rid of it.

I think Dillards still has a while to go with a full service store at Superstition Springs. But a Macys exit may really hasten the demise of that mall. That mall is pretty dead most of the week from what I can tell.
That mall has been dead since the late 2000s (when Mervyn's closed and SanTan Village was built). The more recent trend was to lure retailers like Ross and TJMaxx from outparcels to the main mall (which has always had a downscale list of tenants).

Macy's will remain in all of the healthy malls in the Phoenix / Tucson area.

Arrowhead Town Center (Glendale)
Biltmore Fashion Park (Phoenix)
Chandler Fashion Center (Chandler)
SanTan Village (Gilbert)
Scottsdale Fashion Square (Scottsdale)
Tucson Mall (Tucson)

If they are serious about expanding Bloomingdale's, the Scottsdale Fashion Square store would be the store to convert as that store and the Biltmore Fashion Park are less than 6 miles / 15 minutes apart from one another and Macy's has always been the "stepchild" anchor of that mall. Fashion Square would then have a mix of Bloomingdales, Nieman Marcus, Nordstrom and the Dillard's flagship and Biltmore Fashion Park would have Macy's and Saks Fifth Avenue.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

If I didn't prefer the Biltmore Macy's to the Fashion Square Macy's, I would disagree with you @arizonaguy and suggest Biltmore become the Bloomingdale's. Given the presence of Sak's, Bloomingdale's would do well. However, you are right: the Fashion Square Macy's is pretty dismal and Bloomie's fits better with NM, Dillard's, and Nordstrom.
reymann
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by reymann »

I'm a little surprised River Park in Fresno may end up being a fatality but, then again it may be a redundant store with the one in Fashion Fair not too far away. This was a former Gottschalk's that opened not long before it went under. I wonder if they try to consolidate the men's/backstage over to the main store at Fashion Fair. I think a better tactic with some of these underperforming stores is to try them as a standalone backstage store and see if it generates more traffic.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

reymann wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 9:46 pm I'm a little surprised River Park in Fresno may end up being a fatality but, then again it may be a redundant store with the one in Fashion Fair not too far away. This was a former Gottschalk's that opened not long before it went under. I wonder if they try to consolidate the men's/backstage over to the main store at Fashion Fair. I think a better tactic with some of these underperforming stores is to try them as a standalone backstage store and see if it generates more traffic.
I don't think they ever tried very hard with River Park. The tenant mix there is so strong I don't think the loss of Macy's will be a set back for the center. The fact that Macy's couldn't make it in that center doesn't say much for their off-mall strategy. Many mall stores are operating successfully at River Park among big boxes. Shops at Tanasbourne up in Hillsboro, OR also on that list- similar type of development to River Park... another newer building... another store that just feels like they didn't even try.

I am not exactly sure what the future is of stand alone Backstages but I doubt we will see more of them open. What they should do is start to open some clearance stores (in stores they want to ride leases out on) and quit cluttering the regular stores up with "Last Act." If they are actually serious about consolidating their 2 stores in the same mall into 1 store in the same mall, one of the first orders should be to get rid of Last Act/clearance junk; they need the space to get proper depth of fresh merchandise in all categories into a single building.
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by buckguy »

TheBigSmall wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 3:28 pm According to an anonymous but reliable source, these Macy's stores either among the lowest sales per square foot in the company, has had its property has been acquired for redevelopment or has an upcoming expiring lease, therefore in all likelihood will close by 2026:

Arizona:
Superstition Springs Center, Mesa, AZ

California:
Capitola Mall, Capitola, CA
Otay Ranch Towne Center, Chula Vista, CA
Sunrise Mall, Citrus Heights, CA
Shops at River Park, Frenso, CA
Grassmont Center, La Mesa, CA
Moreno Valley Mall, Moreno Valley, CA
Newpark Mall, Newark, CA
Mt. Shasta Mall, Redding, CA
Union Square, San Francisco, CA
Northgate Mall, San Rafael, CA
Coddingtown Mall, Santa Rosa, CA
Sherwood Place, Stockton, CA
West Valley Mall, Tracy, CA
Pacific View Mall, Ventura, CA
The Mall at Victor Valley, Victorville, CA
Visalia Mall, Visalia, CA
Westminster Mall, Westminster, CA

Connecticut:
Stamford Towne Center, Stamford, CT
Trumbull Mall, Trumbull, CT

Colorado:
Chapel Hills Mall, Colorado Springs, CO
The Shops at Northfield Stapleton, Denver, CO
Orchard Towne Center, Westminster, CO

Delaware:
Concord Mall, Wilmington, DE

Florida:
Boynton Beach Mall, Boynton Beach, FL
Southland Mall, Cutler Bay, FL
Melbourne Square, Melbourne, FL
Merritt Square Mall, Merritt, FL
Coastland Center, Naples, FL
Paddock Mall, Ocala, FL
Orlando Fashion Square, Orlando, FL
Crossing at Siesta Key, Sarasota, FL
Westshore Plaza, Tampa Bay, FL

Georgia:
Northlake Mall, Atlanta, GA
Peachtree Mall, Columbus, GA
Arbor Place, Douglasville, GA
Gwinnett Place Mall, Duluth, GA
Oglethorpe Mall, Savannah, GA

Hawaii:
Prince Kuhio Plaza, Hilo, HI
Kahala Mall, Honolulu, HI
Queen Kaahumanu Center, Kahului, HI
Makalapua Center, Kailua-Kona, HI

Idaho:
Silver Lake Mall, Coeur D Alene, ID

Illinois:
River Oaks Center, Calumet City, IL
Market Place Shopping Center, Champaign, IL
Louis Joliet Mall, Joliet, IL
Cherryvale, Rockford, IL
White Oaks Mall, Springfield, IL
Hawthorn Center, Vernon Hills, IL

Indiana:
Eastland Mall, Evansville, IN
Tippecanoe Mall, Lafayette, IN

Kentucky:
Florence Mall, Florence, KY

Louisiana:
Acadiana mall, Lafayette, LA

Maryland:
Security Square Mall, Baltimore, MD
Harford Mall, Bel Air, MD
Bowie Towne Center, Bowie, MD
Marley Station, Glen Burnie, MD

Massachusetts:
Auburn Mall, Auburn, MA
Hanover Crossing, Hanover, MA
Kingston Collection, Kingston, MA
Emerald Square Mall, Attleborough, MA

Michigan:
Fairlane Towne Center, Dearborn, MI
Genesee Valley Center, Flint, MI
Lakeside Mall, Sterling Heights, MI
Meridian Mall, Okemos, MI
The Crossroads Mall, Portage, MI
Fashion Square Mall, Sanginaw, MI
Grand Traverse Mall, Traverse City, MI

Minnesota:
Burnsville Center, Burnsville, MN
Maplewood Mall, Maplewood, MN
Crossroads Center, St. Cloud, MN

Missouri:
Metro North Mall, Kansas City, MO
South County Center, St. Louis, MO
Mid Rivers Mall, St. Peters, MO
Battlefield Mall, Springfield, MO

Montana:
Bozeman Gallatin Valley Mall, Bozeman, MT

New Hampshire:
Mall at Fox Run, Newington, NH

New Jersey:
Brunswick Square, East Brunswick, NJ
Monmouth Mall, Eatontown, NJ
Livingston Mall, Livingston, NJ
Hamilton Mall, Mays Landing, NJ

New York:
Boulevard Mall, Amherst, NY
Parkchester, Bronx, NY
Hampton Bays Plaza, Hampton Bays, NY
Sunrise Mall, Massapueqa, NY
Jefferson Valley Mall, Yorktown Heights, NY

North Carolina:
Northlake Mall, Charlotte, NC
Triangle Towne Center, Raleigh, NC

Ohio:
Mall at Fairfield Commons, Beavercreek, OH
Dayton Mall, Centerville, OH
Anderson Towne Center, Cincinnati, OH
Tuttle Crossing, Dublin, OH
Eastwood Mall, Niles, OH
University Heights Square, University Heights, OH

Oregon:
Bend River Mall, Bend, OR
The Streets at Tanasbourne, Hillsboro, OR
Salem Center, Salem, OR

Pennsylvania:
Logan Valley Mall, Altoona, PA
Exton Square Mall, Exton, PA
Oxford Valley Mall, Langhorne, PA
Montgomery Mall, North Wales, PA
Galleria at Pittsburgh Mills, Tarentum, PA
Wyoming Valley Mall, Wikes Barre, PA

South Carolina:
Columbia Mall, Columbia, SC

South Dakota:
Empire Mall, Sioux Falls, SD

Tennessee:
Oak Court Mall, Memphis, TN

Texas:
Lakeline Mall, Cedar Park, TX
LaPalmera Mall, Corpus Christi, TX
Hulen Mall, Forth Worth, TX
Almeda Mall, Houston, TX
Irving Mall, Irving, TX
Towne East Mall. Mesquite, TX
Shops at Willow Bend, Plano, TX
Ingram Park Mall, San Antonio, TX
South Park Mall, San Antonio, TX

Virginia:
Greenbrier Mall, Chesapeake, VA
South Park Mall, Colonial Heights, VA
Valley View Mall, Roanoke, VA

Washington:
Bellis Fair, Bellingham, WA
Wenatchee Valley Mall, East Wenatchee, WA
Capital Mall, Olympia, WA
South Hill Mall, Puyallup, WA
Kitsap Mall, Silverdale, WA

Wisconsin:
Southridge Mall, Greendale, WI
Lots of small market malls. They're probably running out relatively cheap leases in many cases. That may explain why they're still in B-minus mall locations in metro areas although they may also have some unsellable ownerships, too------places like Security Square (which has been struggling for more than a couple decades) and Bowie Town Center (small center and too close to Annapolis Mall). Marley Station has never been very successful and redevelopment plans have never worked out. Closing it also would help the Annapolis store. Marley Station put a number of older centers out of business and redevelopment of those properties has had ups and downs.

They'll probably keep some stores because they need to maintain representation in an area or a submarket. The University Square store in Ohio is an example and has been committed for a redevelopment of the complex. No mention of whether they'll stay in the redeveloped Boulevard Mall in Buffalo, but redevelopment there has been delayed by litigation from JCPenney and some leaseholders who had vacated many years ago. That they've been willing to stay through all this suggests they want more than one store in the Buffalo area.

The two Dayton stores are close enough to each other that one will probably stay and the other will go. Northlake and Gwinnett Place in the Atlanta area are a similar situation. The redevelopment plans for Northlake (Atlanta) make no mention of Macy's. The Northlake Macy's was a neglected store and the weakest anchor at the mall when it was fully tenanted in the early '00s. Northlake seemed well positioned for a comeback with the decline of Gwinnett Place, but it just continued decline anyway. The surrounding area is over-retailed with lots of vacancies, but the surrounding residential area is doing quite well and attracting a new generation of families and some of the underutilized retail is being replaced by housing. Gwinnett Place has had multiple redevelopment proposals, but is unlikely to work as main stream mid-market retail and also hasn't been successful with ethnic retail---the surrounding area was developed as white flight residential on farmland and now claims to be the most diverse county in the South with a variety of immigrant populations.. It would make sense for them to keep one of those stores and perhaps it will be Northlake. Arbor Place on the other side of Atlanta is a mall that never lived up to its potential and has died quickly. There wouldn't be much locational disadvantage to closing it.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

Colorado and Florida closings make total sense to me and most of the California closings!
Romr123
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Romr123 »

Michigan is sensible as well--leaving in Detroit Southland/Briarwood/Twelve Oaks/Somerset/Oakland.

Lakeside/Partridge Creek is the only questionable hole left---Lakeside is already slated for a (senior) housing project (somewhat similar to Northland just 7 years later)...Partridge Creek which is about 3 miles away (and commonly owned by Spinoso) has 2 15 year old anchor boxes (built as Nordstrom/Parisian, both have closed).

Two locations (east side and west side/Lakeshore) for Grand Rapids essentially covers it.

Lansing would go to Twelve Oaks; SW Michigan (SW of Kalamazoo) would probably just as soon head to Chicago or back to Ann Arbor for big shopping.

Flint/Bay City/Midland---I-75 to Somerset.

Traverse City---mail order, I'm afraid.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

Westminster Mall was a huge mistake by Macy's. They had built a brand new, from the ground up store only to divest it to Target and keep the grungy, dark, claustrophobic old Robinsons-May building. I think this was one of the first dominos to fall in the eventual failure of the mall. It is pretty much guaranteed to close as they have released many renderings of the new residential mixed use complex that will replace the mall and only Target remains standing when it's done. They still show what looks like some shops in the middle and are unclear as to whether they would remove the roof and make that an open air plaza around Target, but I think it is just for show and all that space will become residential. I am not even convinced that they won't work out a deal to evict Target and move them to a corner of the lot where they can build a conventional store.

I know Mission Viejo will consolidate to the men's/children's/furniture building eventually for a major apartment or condo complex. This is open public knowledge discussed many times by their planning commission and city council. I think the ongoing widening of I-5 and reconstruction of the ramps at Crown Valley Pkwy are what has delayed that project. I do not expect the two stores to both still be there by the end of 2025 and they have reduced so much they could consolidate to one any day.

There are rumors of consolidation in Temecula which make sense as both buildings are absolutely massive.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

Romr123 wrote: March 24th, 2024, 9:24 am Michigan is sensible as well--leaving in Detroit Southland/Briarwood/Twelve Oaks/Somerset/Oakland.

Lakeside/Partridge Creek is the only questionable hole left---Lakeside is already slated for a (senior) housing project (somewhat similar to Northland just 7 years later)...Partridge Creek which is about 3 miles away (and commonly owned by Spinoso) has 2 15 year old anchor boxes (built as Nordstrom/Parisian, both have closed).

Two locations (east side and west side/Lakeshore) for Grand Rapids essentially covers it.

Lansing would go to Twelve Oaks; SW Michigan (SW of Kalamazoo) would probably just as soon head to Chicago or back to Ann Arbor for big shopping.

Flint/Bay City/Midland---I-75 to Somerset.

Traverse City---mail order, I'm afraid.
If Macy's is serious about expanding Bloomingdale's then Somerset becomes a Bloomingdales and Oakland becomes the Macy's serving the entire East Side of the Metro Detroit area as well as the closest Macy's to Flint / Saginaw. With the way Macy's is thinning its fleet, Somerset and Oakland coexisting as full line Macy's stores just doesn't make sense anymore.

The Lakeside / Partridge Creek situation was a complete disaster. It was a case of 1 (healthy mall in Lakeside) + 1 (new mall in Partridge Creek) = 0 (successful malls in the present retail environment). If Partridge Creek was never opened we'd almost certainly be discussing the closing of the Macy's at Oakland Mall. Instead, Oakland Mall ends up becoming the de facto mall serving Lakeside's old geographic territory. That area is still a viable retail area though so I could theoretically see Macy's to the vacant Nordstrom anchor pad at Partridge Creek if they're serious about remaining a relevant retailer (especially if Somerset becomes a Bloomingdale's).

Going back to that original list. The only really interesting store is Metro North Mall in Kansas City, MO. Metro North is probably the one dead mall I'm aware of where Dillard's and JCPenney left (and built new replacement stores) before Macy's did. The rest of the mall mall was demolished a few years ago and the Macy's has remained open up until now but there is an interesting quote from the developer:

https://www.metrowiremedia.com/news/ins ... north-mall

"Macy’s operates a store at the development, and it owns its building. The store is profitable, and Macy’s intends to continue to operate there. Nevertheless, Horn said IAS Partners talk with Macy’s once a quarter to gauge Macy’s future plans."
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Macys Stores Closing by 2026

Post by babs »

If they close all the stores on this list, they will continue to lose sales. With no stores in a market, they've admitted online sales shrink as well so they will lost that revenue. Looking at the three Oregon stores on the list that I am most familiar with. Closing the Bend store in a fast-growing market with lots of high-income households but a huge tourist business is flat out dumb. They have failed to invest in that store and probably should just relocate it to a busier area with a modern store.

The Salem store is old and a dump, a classic example of underinvestment in their stores. They should close this store and open a new small format Macy's in Kaiser Station.

The Tanasabourne store is a newer store that if opened today would likely be a Macy's Marketplace store. It's become a neglected and a dump. Plus, half of the first floor is already a Backstage store and lots of the store is also taken up by Last Act. In reality this already is a small format store with the reduced floor space for regular merch. Closing this store in a fast-growing area just shrinks their market share.

Neglect and underinvestment is the hallmark of Macy's. I get they want to shrink down to fewer but better maintained stores but I have yet to see a chain shrink to success. If someone can name where this strategy has worked, I'd love to know.