Trader Joe's opening in northern Idaho

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Trader Joe's opening in northern Idaho

Post by SamSpade »

Eastern Idaho will probably never get their dream store due to logistics for trucking, they have no stores in Montana, Wyoming, or the Dakotas too.

A store is opening in a (still operational for now it seems) furniture store, which was at one point a "discount store," according to county property tax records. It's immediately across from a natural foods focused grocer, so they probably won't be too happy.

Trader Joe's coming to Coeur d'Alene: It's official
According to the press, they will not be taking the entire storefront, which is an interesting thing as it is not particularly large. (22,352 SF)

Actually, the Pilgrims Market owner isn't worried, he feels they will be complimentary. :idea:
KHQ-6 TV: Coeur d'Alene Residents React To Trader Joe's (17, 320 sf)
storewanderer

Re: Trader Joe's opening in northern Idaho

Post by storewanderer »

SamSpade wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 3:11 pm Eastern Idaho will probably never get their dream store due to logistics for trucking, they have no stores in Montana, Wyoming, or the Dakotas too.

A store is opening in a (still operational for now it seems) furniture store, which was at one point a "discount store," according to county property tax records. It's immediately across from a natural foods focused grocer, so they probably won't be too happy.

Trader Joe's coming to Coeur d'Alene: It's official
According to the press, they will not be taking the entire storefront, which is an interesting thing as it is not particularly large. (22,352 SF)

Actually, the Pilgrims Market owner isn't worried, he feels they will be complimentary. :idea:
KHQ-6 TV: Coeur d'Alene Residents React To Trader Joe's (17, 320 sf)
How do they supply Salt Lake City? Eastern Idaho isn't a huge reach from Salt Lake City...
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

For a company that seems to be expanding at a quicker rate lately, they sure do seem to have a problem with noticeably increased product recalls (as reported all over).

Not that this is connected but just sayin.............................

🤷‍♂️
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 10:05 am For a company that seems to be expanding at a quicker rate lately, they sure do seem to have a problem with noticeably increased product recalls (as reported all over).

🤷‍♂️
And out of stocks... I have reduced how often I shop there due to not finding what I go in for so many times... but the stores seem busier than ever and their prices are lower than the conventional grocers.

I wonder how the distribution system will handle the expansions.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

storewanderer wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 10:13 am
veteran+ wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 10:05 am For a company that seems to be expanding at a quicker rate lately, they sure do seem to have a problem with noticeably increased product recalls (as reported all over).

🤷‍♂️
And out of stocks... I have reduced how often I shop there due to not finding what I go in for so many times... but the stores seem busier than ever and their prices are lower than the conventional grocers.

Same experience for me.

Cults work in mysterious ways (like I&O and other obsessions).
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 12:12 pm

🤷‍♂️

Same experience for me.

Cults work in mysterious ways (like I&O and other obsessions).
I am hoping once my area has two new locations opened, the issues with not being in stock will be resolved.

The customers in the Reno Trader Joe's have become very rude also. Many of them complain to each other (as they are "excusing each other" to grab items around each other, etc.) how it is the only location and how there were so many more locations wherever they came from (probably from the bay area). The Reno Whole Foods is also very busy but the customer attitude there isn't like this at all, more of a sterile attitude there. Trader Joe's used to be a very laid back place but it has gotten very uptight the past couple years and I think it is the customers causing that.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

That tense thing is coming from the employees as well and has been the trend since at least 2005.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: March 24th, 2024, 9:15 am That tense thing is coming from the employees as well and has been the trend since at least 2005.
The employees in Reno are great, no complaints there. They are friendly, work efficiently, and there are a lot of them. The customers are having attitude with each other as opposed to projecting their lousy attitude onto the employees. It has become a strange store with some very strange customers.

And walking/driving through the parking lot... yikes. I've started to park far away at the CVS (which has almost no customers) and take a walk over to Trader Joe's via the sidewalk in front of CVS to avoid the 3-4 rows of parking where Trader Joe's is.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

🤷‍♂️

They are building a massive new distribution center in the Lancaster-Palmdale area. Not sure where else.

Ordering is 100% manual at Trader Joe's. Those who are trained on ordering have the sales data at their fingertips along with availability that updates daily. There are no planograms and the stores generally have very little back room space (if any) so overstock is a serious problem. Some top volume stores have morning and evening trucks and order twice a day. We should all be happy that Trader Joe's doesn't automate this work, a vast difference between their Aldi cousins.

So what tends to happen is one store decides that they want to make an endcap of 3 Cheese Pasta Sauce so they order 300 cases because it's an existing item that isn't inventory constrained. Their buddy who runs the store across town hears it worked well and does the same. Suddenly they create "haves and have nots" as these few stores deplete the warehouse and the item is now constrained to whatever number of cases arrive daily or weekly until back stock is built in the warehouse again. Now every store can only order 3 cases a day regardless of how much they sell while the buyer has asked the vendor to push a extra large order of 5,000 more cases to the warehouse next month so things stabilize. Meanwhile, those big endcaps at the few stores that remained in stock dwindle down and eventually need to change out to something else. Since there isn't another "Fearless Flyer" with new featured items to be ordered until next month, now the Manager decides he's going to change that into an Alfredo sauce endcap and orders 300 cases. And tells his buddy at the store across town... You can see how this creates these localized out of stock issues.

But I'd rather have the stores be different, creative, and cater to the local community as they are today versus becoming another boring Aldi clone. Plus the entire concept is the bottom third of SKUs are changed out to something else annually so they fully intend for you to (hopefully) find two or three new items you just have to buy every time you come in, even if one item is out of stock or has been discontinued. Obviously it works for them as they seem to be able to have enough labor to stock shelves 24/7 if necessary in the smaller, busier stores, as well as the capital needed to build additional stores to spread out the business elsewhere and create a net positive in overall sales each time they expand.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

From their September 7, 2018 podcast, they claim to be extra careful about any chance of recall, compared to their competition and some mainstream brands (hid the transcript with the spoiler flag as it is somewhat long):
► Show Spoiler