Ralphs Fresh Fare Santa Barbara remodel

California. No non-grocery posts.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Ralphs Fresh Fare Santa Barbara remodel

Post by ClownLoach »

marketreportblog wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 12:10 pm
ClownLoach wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 11:27 am I did visit a tiny little Fresh Fare in Camarillo, and it had been remodeled to the horrendous barnwood reclaimed decor.
I've heard a few people on this forum talking about how awful the reclaimed barnwood decor is, but I haven't been able to find pictures. Can someone post a link or a picture?
I like using Google Reviews and Yelp reviews to find pictures. Ralphs Fresh Fare stores with this new decor include Brea, Anaheim Hills, Foothill Ranch, Laguna Niguel, Camarillo, and a few others. The main highlight is a ugly, stenciled wall on either filthy nasty reclaimed barn wood or really cheap looking plastic fake wood in produce that says something like "Fresh for CALIFORNIA" in white paint as you might expect to see at Whole Foods. It's a bad riff on farmhouse decor. Many of the departments have signs that are quite literally die cut cardboard letters glued to the wall. All the wall sconces, chandeliers, and other nice elements from Fresh Fare are removed and discarded. It is just absolute trash decor that is below what I'd expect from Food4Less or a no frills warehouse. For some insane reason, they seem to be starting to pull out what was a very good looking decor package and replacing it with this garbage. I am assuming that it is so cheap that it doesn't even require a building permit, they seem to ignore the existing focal lights on department signs when designing the new sign package so there are weird bright spots and dark spots that you wouldn't have noticed with the old what I'll call "gem tone" package they've been using the last decade. Quite possibly the worst decor Kroger has ever used, and even more unbelievable that it is for a "upscale" tier.
marketreportblog
Front-End Supervisor
Front-End Supervisor

Post by marketreportblog »

ClownLoach wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 7:16 pm
I like using Google Reviews and Yelp reviews to find pictures. Ralphs Fresh Fare stores with this new decor include Brea, Anaheim Hills, Foothill Ranch, Laguna Niguel, Camarillo, and a few others. The main highlight is a ugly, stenciled wall on either filthy nasty reclaimed barn wood or really cheap looking plastic fake wood in produce that says something like "Fresh for CALIFORNIA" in white paint as you might expect to see at Whole Foods. It's a bad riff on farmhouse decor. Many of the departments have signs that are quite literally die cut cardboard letters glued to the wall. All the wall sconces, chandeliers, and other nice elements from Fresh Fare are removed and discarded. It is just absolute trash decor that is below what I'd expect from Food4Less or a no frills warehouse. For some insane reason, they seem to be starting to pull out what was a very good looking decor package and replacing it with this garbage. I am assuming that it is so cheap that it doesn't even require a building permit, they seem to ignore the existing focal lights on department signs when designing the new sign package so there are weird bright spots and dark spots that you wouldn't have noticed with the old what I'll call "gem tone" package they've been using the last decade. Quite possibly the worst decor Kroger has ever used, and even more unbelievable that it is for a "upscale" tier.
Thanks! Yeah, I usually use the same sources, but not knowing the area or the chain, I didn’t know what I was searching for. I see the decor in Anaheim Hills and yes, cheap and ugly. I’m a big fan of wood used well (one of my favorite decor packages like that, from this store, but see that it’s a consistent wood/brick/concrete scheme to match the formerly industrial setting) but if it’s not incorporated well into an overall plan it looks… well, confusing, like that Ralphs.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

storewanderer wrote: March 20th, 2024, 11:03 pm Gelson's in Santa Barbara is a divested Albertsons from 1999, it was a smaller late 70's/early 80's style store. Department placement sort of gave it away years ago but at this point you'd never know.
Gelson’s Santa Barbara was originally an A&P (not a “centennial” store), then Shopping Bag, then Fazio’s, then Albertsons:

Fazio’s was a Cleveland-based chain that expanded to Southern California in 1972 by acquiring Shopping Bag Food Stores, a SoCal chain that bought A&P’s SoCal division in 1969. Fazio’s exited SoCal in 1978, selling its 45 SoCal stores to Albertsons.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

marketreportblog wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 8:14 pm
ClownLoach wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 7:16 pm
Thanks! Yeah, I usually use the same sources, but not knowing the area or the chain, I didn’t know what I was searching for. I see the decor in Anaheim Hills and yes, cheap and ugly. I’m a big fan of wood used well (one of my favorite decor packages like that, from this store, but see that it’s a consistent wood/brick/concrete scheme to match the formerly industrial setting) but if it’s not incorporated well into an overall plan it looks… well, confusing, like that Ralphs.
Unfortunately the links are broken.
marketreportblog
Front-End Supervisor
Front-End Supervisor

Post by marketreportblog »

ClownLoach wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 11:34 pm Unfortunately the links are broken.
Yeah sorry about that, I posted that from my phone and now I can't seem to fix it so here you go.
Picture
Store Tour
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

marketreportblog wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 4:44 pm
ClownLoach wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 11:34 pm Unfortunately the links are broken.
Yeah sorry about that, I posted that from my phone and now I can't seem to fix it so here you go.
Picture
Store Tour
Hi Market Report Blog, as you seem to be on the other side of the country, here is a link to a LARGE Kroger-owned store built from the ground up with this current decor.
Smith's MarketPlace, Henderson, NV
To me, it's the harshness of everything. When Fred Meyer last built a "scratch" location in the northwest, it was in Happy Valley, Oregon. It has some of these same things but with some "softening" touches that I think make it feel a bit warmer. I was never a huge fan of these faux wood decors and hanging brown/grey fabric department banners that marketplace stores in this company receive, I preferred the more "sunny" yellows and greens that some stores received - either the more generic Kroger layout (see "The Garden" for produce, for example) or the previous Ralph's Fresh Fare decor that spread to some Smith's locations, some QFC locations, and some Fred Meyer locations.

The newer stores have black or unpainted warehouse ceilings, concrete floors, and a lot of bright light. I just think some other companies do "this" better. Also, it still doesn't feel very fancy/nice to me in any store with a drop ceiling.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

SamSpade wrote: March 26th, 2024, 5:55 pm
Picture
Store Tour
Hi Market Report Blog, as you seem to be on the other side of the country, here is a link to a LARGE Kroger-owned store built from the ground up with this current decor.
To me, it's the harshness of everything. When Fred Meyer last built a "scratch" location in the northwest, it was in Happy Valley, Oregon. It has some of these same things but with some "softening" touches that I think make it feel a bit warmer. I was never a huge fan of these faux wood decors and hanging brown/grey fabric department banners that marketplace stores in this company receive, I preferred the more "sunny" yellows and greens that some stores received - either the more generic Kroger layout (see "The Garden" for produce, for example) or the previous Ralph's Fresh Fare decor that spread to some Smith's locations, some QFC locations, and some Fred Meyer locations.

The newer stores have black or unpainted warehouse ceilings, concrete floors, and a lot of bright light. I just think some other companies do "this" better. Also, it still doesn't feel very fancy/nice to me in any store with a drop ceiling.
While it is a tad harsh, it is better than the last several decor packages.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

rwsandiego wrote: March 26th, 2024, 7:21 pm

Picture
Store Tour

While it is a tad harsh, it is better than the last several decor packages.
In person, the Henderson Store looks excellent. The decor is fine, no issues with it at all. The store is spacious with high ceilings and it works/fits. It is definitely a step up from multiple of their prior decor packages.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

Picture
Store Tour

I really like the looks on this one!!

Polished floors look awesome and I agree with you on the ceiling style.

👍 :D
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

Picture
Store Tour

The decor in the two mentioned Smiths is not at all what is being used at any Ralphs. I also agree it's a very good looking store, I have spent several hours walking around the Henderson one. A superior operation in every way to Ralphs.